Published on June 7, 2016
1. Digital Advertising Myth Busting! #TTLPresents
2. But First,A BitAbout Me… • PPC Advertising Executive at The Tomorrow Lab • Google Certified Professional: Google AdWords Fundamentals Google Advanced Search Advertising Google Display Advertising Google Analytics • Bing Ads Accredited Professional #TTLPresents
3. Overview 1. Whatis Digital Advertising? 2. What are The Platforms? 3. What is GoogleAdWords? 4. Whatis Bing Ads? 5. 5 PPC Myths Busted! 6. QuickRecap #TTLPresents
4. What is Digital Advertising? #TTLPresents
5. #TTLPresents • Leveraging online technology to deliver promotional advertisements to consumers: What is Digital Advertising?
6. #TTLPresents Reaching core audiences in new ways and with more precision. Through the Line advertising: • Integrated advertising • Wide reach • Narrow focus on conversions What is Digital Advertising?
7. #TTLPresents What Are The Platforms?
8. Digital Advertising: Platform Reach #TTLPresents 3.5 bn searches /day 1 bn users & 1/3 internet users 621 million unique searchers in 35 countries 98% of web with retargeting
9. Digital Advertising: Platform Reach #TTLPresents 1.65 bn monthly users 320 million monthly users 433 million members 100 million daily users
12. DigitalAdvertising: ANarrow Focus • A targeted approach to advertising: RIGHT MESSAGE RIGHT PERSON RIGHT TIME RIGHT PLACE • Across Devices #TTLPresents
13. Digital Advertising: MakingOther MediaWork Harder Effects on ROI: +4% +70% +71% Source: marketingland.com/10-reasons- digital-advertising-works-brands-108151#TTLPresents
14. What is GoogleAdWords? #TTLPresents
15. “GoogleAdWordsisthesinglemostpopular PPCadvertisingsystemintheworld.The AdWordsplatformenablesbusinessesto createadsthatappearonGoogle’ssearch engineandotherGoogleproperties.” Source:Wordstream.com What isGoogle AdWords? #TTLPresents
16. • Reach: Number 1 website in the UK with 89.9% of the market. • Relevance: Target specifically the people that are interesting for your business. • Return On Investment: Control how much to invest. Benefits of Google AdWords #TTLPresents
17. What is BingAds? #TTLPresents
18. What is Bing Ads? BingsAds,broughttoyoubyMicrosoft, providepayperclickadvertisingonboth theBingandYahoo!searchengines offeringanadditionalcustomeraudience toGoogleandincreaseddiversity,growth andprofitsforyourbusiness. #TTLPresents
19. Benefits of Bing Ads • Bing is inside apps, sites and devices including: #TTLPresents
20. Benefits of Bing Ads Bing users: - spend 145% more online than average internet searcher - 44% more online than Google searchers Bing’s UK audience includes: - Mid to high income ranges between 35,000 - 50,000 pounds annually - Mature age groups, especially those 35+ #TTLPresents
21. Bing Ads Import You can import from Google AdWords: • 2.5 million keywords & ads • 2 million negative keywords • 1 million ad group product partitions • 200,000 all other entities #TTLPresents
22. PPC Myths Busted #TTLPresents
23. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads #TTLPresents
24. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads In a 2015 Ofcom report on Adults’ media use and attitudes, conducted with over 1,300 respondents: • Around 1/2 of the adults were unable to recognise ads in Google’s search results. #TTLPresents
25. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads
26. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads #TTLPresents Understanding of paid-for results returnedby Google searches, among adults who use search enginewebsites or apps: 60% 23% 20% 12% 49% 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% These are adverts/sponsored links/ paid to appear here These are the best/ most relevant results These are the most popular results used by other people Don't know Only stated the correct response % Response160newerusers&1100 older users: • 34%of newerusers gave theright answer • 51%of established usersgavethe right answer
27. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads #TTLPresents • 16.4%growth in UK digital ad spend to £8.6bn • Average homenow owns 8.3 internetdevices. ImageSource: InternetAdvertising BureauUKDigital Adspend report, conductedbyPwC
28. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads Increases in ownership: • 27% increase in connected TVs • 21% increase in smartphones • 18% increase in laptops • 16% increase in tablets Smartphones are the most popular device (2.1 per household) followed by laptops (1.6) & tablets (1.4). #TTLPresents
29. MYTH #1: People Don’t Click On Ads #TTLPresents
30. MYTH #2: Position #1 is the most profitable #TTLPresents
31. • Profitability in position 1 is case dependant • Great visibility and is great for branding purposes BUT • Greater budget is required to sustain it • It may attract searchers weighing up options MYTH #2: Position #1 is the most profitable #TTLPresents
32. MYTH #2: Position #1 is the most profitable #TTLPresents
33. MYTH #2: Position #1 is the most profitable • Test with confidence • Trial changes without actually affecting performance • At the end of the trial, implement your suggested changes or abandon them #TTLPresents
34. MYTH #2: Position #1 is the most profitable #TTLPresents
35. MYTH #3: Higher spend increasesrank #TTLPresents
36. • Larger budgets fund: a) a variety of competitive & lesser competitive keyphrases b) greater no.’s of click volumes overall BUT • The largest budget will not improve rank if the quality signals are poor MYTH #3: Higher spend increasesrank #TTLPresents
37. MYTH #3: Higher spend increasesrank Ad Rank, a score based on: • Max cpc bids • Quality Score • Impact of extensions #TTLPresents
38. MYTH #3: Higher spend increasesrank #TTLPresents
39. MYTH #3: Higher spend increasesrank #TTLPresents
40. MYTH #3: Higher spend increasesrank In an AdWords auction, the highest bidder wins, subject to quality score factors & ad rank. #TTLPresents
41. MYTH #4: With PPCyou can launchit & forget it #TTLPresents
42. • People build advertising campaigns • Turn them on • Watch them spend money AND … • Complain they don’t see ROI • Label PPC as a costly and ineffective marketing channel MYTH #4: With PPCyou can launchit & forget it #TTLPresents
43. MYTH #4: With PPCyou can launchit & forget it • Digital advertising campaigns require attention to perform. • A strong search advertising campaign will endure the right amount of testing but steer clear of over- optimisation. #TTLPresents
44. Common optimisations include: • Adding new keywords • Adding keyword negatives • Testing ad copy & creative • Testing landing pages • Creating ad extensions • Bid lowering & increasing • Pausing keywords/ ad groups/ campaigns • Retargeting specific audiences • Monitoring & understanding performance • And More MYTH #4: With PPCyou can launchit & forget it #TTLPresents
45. MYTH #4: With PPCyou can launchit & forget it • Clicks, Impressions & CTRs • Keyword Performance & Search Terms • Impression Share/Share of Voice • Conversions, Conversion Rates & Cost Per Conversion • View Through Conversions • Session Data • Reach Metrics • YouTube Earned Actions • Video Played to • Gmail Saves/ Forwards/ Clicks Measurement & Reporting: #TTLPresents
46. MYTH #5: PPCAds Improve Organic Rank #TTLPresents
47. MYTH #5: PPCAds Improve Organic Rank • No direct correlationbetween advertiser spend and organicsearch rankings/traffic. • Advertisers who spend moredo not receive special preference in organic rank. #TTLPresents
48. However, there are views on how PPC can indirectly improve organic rank, that are in no way associated with ad spend: • Time spent on site from a Google search acts as a quality signal • Raising brand awareness generates increased brand + keyword searches • Increased traffic to pages can earn links and other quality signals MYTH #5: PPCAds Improve Organic Rank #TTLPresents
49. • Large amounts of returning traffic builds brand trust • Actions on-page including scrolling, moving through the site and converting act as further quality signals. This all helps towards creating a more rounded and multi- channel strategy for your brand. MYTH #5: PPCAds Improve Organic Rank #TTLPresents
50. QuickRecap #TTLPresents
51. Quick Recap • Digital Advertising is leveraging online platforms to deliver ads to a wide audience with more precision across devices • Google AdWords & Bings Ads are two of the most popular search ad platforms • People do click on ads • Position one isn't always the most profitable • Spend alone does not influence ad rank • PPC requires regular and thorough optimisation • PPC ads can only indirectly influence organic rank over time #TTLPresents
52. www.thetomorrowlab.com Thank you Email:email@example.com Twitter: @ruthcowan5 | @thetomorrowlab #TTLPresents
Last time on PPC Myth Busting, I busted the myth that Google Analytics is complicated to use by showing you three easy ways to get information you can ...
So, this is a HUGE myth, because I hear it all the time and it’s just so unfounded. The biggest thing that busts this myth in adCenter is lower CPCs ...
We dispel some common myths about using long-tail keywords for PPC advertising and point you in the right direction for keyword research and discovery.
At first glance, SEO appears to have more going for it than PPC advertising. It’s free, where PPC costs money. It’s organic, where PPC links are ...
Myth-Busting SEO Facts Digital Dental Marketing. Digital Marketing. Written by Dixie on April 16th, 2016 May 17th, 2016. ... Myth: Pay-per-click (PPC) ...
PPC; Analytics; Social; Local; Mobile; Video; Content; ... This is half rant and half myth-busting. For some reason, when I see these myths reappear ...
Busting the Top 3 Google AdWords Myths. ... Myth #2: My Competitors Can ... Check out my site for more about PPC advertising- www.mccallmediasolutions.com
PPC; Analytics; Social; Local; Mobile; Video; Content; Development; Reports; PR-SEO Mythbusting for Better Link Building. SEO 31 Mar 11 | Jeremy Bencken ...
Great session and panel presented few common myths on ppc and right strategy. Topics included commen concerns about bidding high or low, geotarget your ...