Published on June 9, 2016
2. The chemistry PhD: the impact on women’s retention, UK Resource Centre for Women in SET and the Royal Society of “Overall 12% of third year women and 21% of third year men intended to pursue research careers in academia.”
3. Nature. March, 2013 495
4. Unconscious Bias
6. Men think conversation as equal when women talk 15% of the time Men think women dominate when they talk just 30% http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/prejudice/women/
7. Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Editor-in-Chief Department of Chemistry, Stanford University Aspiring PIs: Give an academic position a go - even without a tenure it’s an excellent starter-job PI’s: give your students freedom to be the drivers of science, not just a “pair of hands” Promotion committees: there are many ways for a person to build reputation, allow of differences in professional paths! Institutions: Loosen up your policies, as healthier & happier employees make huge difference
8. Adopt the mantra “Proceed and be bold” Don’t leave before you leave Don’t be afraid to ask Make your partner a real partner http://leanin.org/
9. Unconscious bias Lack of support systems (professional, peers, family) Lack of professional role models Differences in values Lack of mentoring, including reverse mentoring Outdated work environment & performance evaluation models Primary caregiver penalty Some barriers to greater gender diversity
10. And now to talk about solutions… What makes a career in science rewarding? Have you taken an inventory of why you love what you do? Have you considered playing into your strengths rather than dwelling on weaknesses? Do you think about work/life balance? Or do you view it more as a work/life fusion? How about unconscious bias? Do you know your biases? Do you feel you have resources you need to succeed? What is missing? What is something you would recommend? Any favorite tips & tricks?
Gordon Research Conference. ... The Bioorganic Chemistry Gordon Research Conference ... Power Hour: The GRC Power Hour ...
Peptides, Chemistry & Biology of Gordon Research Conference. ... The GRC Power Hour is an optional informal gathering open to all meeting participants.
... 2016, Istanbul, Turkey; Immunochemistry & Immunobiology Gordon Research Conference, ... International Conference on ... Bioorganic Chemistry ...
Invited Papers at Conferences: ... , 25th General Assembly of ... "Field Dependent Transport Coefficients," Gordon Research Conference on Laser ...
Professor Gordon Crawford ... paper presented at Finnish Society for Development Research annual conference, ... Partnership or Power?:
RESEARCH INTERESTS. ... Alan B. Packard, Barry L. Shulkin, Scott E. Snyder, Gordon Research Conference, ... (SERMACS), Bioorganic Chemistry Session I, ...
Gordon Research Conferences ... Dr. Frances Arnold, Caltech biochemical engineer and a GRC Conference Evaluation Committee (CEC) member, ...
... an overwiev about conferences, research groups and ... Conference on Renewable Energies and Power ... Gordon Research Conference on Physical ...
... the world's largest conference and exhibition for the power ... International announces record attendance in ... 25th anniversary of POWER ...