Published on March 10, 2014
Jowati Juhary, PhD email@example.com
a. b. c. d. e. f. g. Nouns Pronouns Verbs Adverbs Adjectives Prepositions Determiners LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 2
• All things are called nouns • Countable Nouns (tables, chairs, books) • Non countable Nouns (sugar, water) • Concrete Nouns (tables, chairs, sugar, water) • Abstract Nouns (love, hate, idea) • Countable Nouns – can add ‘s’ at the end of the word to show plurality (tables, chairs) LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 3
• First, second and third person • First (I, we) • Second (you) • Third (she, he, it, they) • More pronouns http://www.esldesk.com/vocabulary /pronouns LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 4
• Action words • In each complete sentence – one main verb • Main Verb 1 Verb-to-be (am, is, are, was, were – root word = be) • Main Verb 2 walk, sleep, eat • Main Verb 3 put, cut (no spelling change regardless of tenses) • Auxiliary Verb [modal + verb], [to + verb] (will attend, to make) LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 5
• how, when, where, to what extent, how often • Five roles a. To modify a verb He is fast b. To modify an adjective She is very pretty c. To modify another adverb He runs very fast d. To modify prepositional phrase They are studying quietly under the tree e. To describe the whole sentence Honestly, I do not like him LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 6
• Words that describes nouns • Sequence of adjectives in one sentence a. feelings, qualities or opinions b. size, age, temperature or measurement c. colour d. nationality or origin e. substances or materials The handkerchief is made from pretty old white French lace. LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 7
• Short words that usually stand in front of nouns • Prepositions of Time – on, in at • Prepositions of Place (Position & Direction) – by, next, under, below • Other important Prepositions – from, about, off • More information http://www.ego4u.com/en/cramup/grammar/prepositions LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 8
• Short words that modify nouns • Quantifiers a. Countable Nouns – many, a few, few, several b. Non countable Nouns – not much, a little, a bit of c. Both – all, most of the, some, plenty of, lack of • Articles • Countable Nouns – a, an (singular), the (singular & plural) • Non countable Nouns – the LEL 1002 Parts of Speech 9
A part of speech (abbreviated form: PoS or POS) is a category of words (or, more generally, of lexical items) which have similar grammatical properties.
An overview for the eight major parts of speech in English grammar: noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, conjunction, preposition, and interjection.
The parts of speech. Traditional grammar classifies words based on eight parts of speech: the verb, the noun, the pronoun, the adjective, the adverb, the ...
Learning the English parts of speech is a must if you want to learn grammar. See definitions and lists of all eight. Categorize your words, learn these ...
B-Speech. Bluetooth in Perfektion. Freisprecheinrichtungen; Headsets; Lautsprecher; Transmitter; Downloads; Unsere Garantieleistungen
See the 9 English parts of speech with their function, example words and example sentences. Parts of speech are also called word classes. For ESL learners.
English has 9 parts of speech or word classes. EnglishClub explains what they are and how they work, with many example sentences. For ESL learners.
Start studying 8 Parts of Speech - Definitions. Learn vocabulary, terms, and more with flashcards, games, and other study tools.
Parts of Speech Introduction “Parts of speech” are the basic types of words that English has. Most grammar books say that there are eight parts of ...
Shop Online for Automotive Parts, Accessories and Merchandise at Parts.com, Home to Over 20 Million OEM Parts and Growing.