Published on June 21, 2016
1. 15. USE A PLAYSCRIPT FORMAT Control the way people interpret your text Photo source: hubspot
2. Copyright © Concept Editing 2015 This is a play script format
3. Copyright © Concept Editing 2015 A play script format is an effective method of applying the scenario principle. It identifies the actor and the actions. It helps us write explicit, performance-oriented instructions that highlight the task the reader has to complete. It helps us write explicit, performance-oriented instructions that highlight the task the reader has to complete.
4. Copyright © Concept Editing 2015 Actor Action
5. Copyright © Concept Editing 2015 It follows the subject-verb-object sentence structure which reflects ‘reader expectations’ and makes it easy for people to identify the action. (Gopen) It helps us write explicit, performance-oriented instructions that highlight the task the reader has to complete.
6. Copyright © Concept Editing 2015 Subject Verb Object
7. It’s known for its readability It encourages writers to remove information that distracts busy readers It includes features that make it easy for busy readers to skim and scan. This technique is used by organisations throughout the world.
8. It allow us to use numbered steps to explicitly identify the order.
9. It allows us to see who is responsible.
10. It allows us to see what they need to do to do the step safely and efficiently.
11. And, research indicates that people read this type of instruction faster than other sentence formats. Photo source: hubspot
12. Example of a three-column format
13. Example of a two-column format
14. ABOUT me www.joannesorensen.com People tell me that they want their procedures to support people’s performance; so I help them. I help people when their procedures don’t work. I write procedures for people who want to reduce the challenges and error traps associated with procedure use. I edit procedures against standards, programs, and best practices. I take a risk and research-based approach and I base my recommendations on industry standards and best practices. I coach and mentor people who have other jobs (people who are not professional writers) and help them improve their procedure development and writing skills. I develop formats for procedures that provide structure for writers and readers. I also develop style guides to support standardisation and consistency of procedure content. I review and analyse procedural practices programs. I give advice to leadership teams about how procedural practices can be improved and integrated with governance, improvement, and compliance programs. Read more of my ideas at: Web: www.conceptediting.com.au Blog: www.joannesorensen.com
15. Connect with me Web page: www.conceptediting.com.au Blog: www.joannesorensen.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org au.linkedin.com/in/joannesorensen SESSION 16: USE THE F PATTERN Ready to view the next set of slides?