Published on July 4, 2016
1. back4app.com Firebase vs Parse Server
2. Firebase vs Parse Server • Google has recently released a new version of Firebase. • It provides a unified platform to build Android, iOS, and web Apps. Admob, Analytics, Authentication, Indexing, Test Lab, and Notifications are some of the new features introduced in the latest version of Firebase. • Parse Server is a better choice to build new apps or API’s. • Read on to get a sense of comparison between the two and to understand why Parse Server is still better. • You can read the original publication on: http://blog.back4app.com/2016/06/15/firebase-parse/
3. Firebase • There are still many Android and iOS apps that have Parse as their backend. • But since Facebook has given a deadline to migrate these apps, developers are on a constant lookout for alternatives. • Firebase from Google is one such alternative that can host web apps. • Below are some of the striking features of Firebase that seem to be advantageous to the developers.
4. Firebase • Firebase stores the data in JSON format. • JSON data is readily available through REST API’s or by using client libraries. • The data is stored in the cloud and thus can be accessed from anywhere. Data Storage
5. Firebase • Firebase is designed with a model-observer scheme which is most useful for interactive apps. • Any change in data done on the server is updated to the registered clients in real-time. • The data syncs almost instantly on the client devices. • Cloud messaging and remote customization of apps enables to update the app variables instantly. Real-time data sync
7. Firebase • The users need not have to worry about hosting data as Firebase will take care of it. • With a central database, Firebase can update all the users with real-time data. Central Database
8. Firebase vs Parse Server • Google is supporting Firebase similar to how Facebook supported Parse. • But now, Facebook has shut down Parse and developers have been presented with the open source version of it. • Here are some of the best features of Parse Server.
9. Parse Server • Parse Server is the open source version of Parse that has been supported by a strong community of open source developers. • In fact, Parse Server has worked on the shortcomings that were present in Parse and retained the good things that were present in Parse. • With the Parse Server self-hosted by the users, it can be the best platform to develop new Android or iOS apps or API’s.
10. Parse Server • Parse Server needs infrastructure that runs on Node.js and it supports Express web app framework. • Once you have the data ready in the database, you don’t need any significant changes to the client code to run your applications. Easy to deploy
11. Parse Server • Parse used MongoDB to store data and Amazon S3 bucket to store file system. • Parse Server has enhanced database functionalities such as performance refactoring, data backup and restore, and indexing. • With Parse Server, users can choose a file system of their choice. • There is also an option of storing files in JSON format as a backup. • These JSON files can be imported whenever needed. • Parse had a cap on the number of queries, cloud functions, and database triggers but Parse Server has no such limitations. Data Storage
12. Parse Server • Parse Server has managed to ensure data security without changing client code. • Pointer permission is one of the most recent updates for the Parse Server and is available in the latest version of Parse Server. Pointer Permission
13. Parse Server • Parse was well-known for its dashboard and Parse Server has all the amazing dashboard features of Parse. • The dashboard enables users to manage and configure their apps and send push notifications. Dashboard
14. Parse Server • Users need not make the same queries every time they need data. • Users can construct a query and Parse Server will fetch real-time data as and when the resulting data changes. Live Queries
15. Firebase vs Parse Server • The advantage of open source development environment is that the developers have full control over the source code. • They have the power of migrating the data to different platforms when they require. • When Facebook announced the shutdown of Parse, developers had to migrate data and application to another BaaS or MBaaS. • With such an experience, trusting any other BaaS may seem unacceptable to them anymore. Vendor Lock-in
16. Firebase vs Parse Server • Parse Server has long-term stability compared to any such vendor-based platforms. • With a strong community background and feature-rich open source platform, Parse Server is undoubtedly better than Firebase to develop Android, iOS or web application API’s. Vendor Lock-in
17. Firebase vs Parse Server • Firebase can host Android, iOS and web applications and so does Parse Server. • But as far as Parse Server is concerned, it has all the features of Firebase and much more advantages that it can offer to the users. • Users of Firebase will not have full access to their source code and IP ownership of app components is denied. • With embedded platforms, REST API’s of Firebase cannot be implemented quickly. Quick Comparison
18. Firebase vs Parse Server • Reporting tools are not strong enough in Firebase. • Data migration is not as easy as Parse Server. • Firebase does not support simple Geo queries. • Parse Cloud Code is much superior compared to even the latest version of Firebase. • Above all, Firebase users are vendor-locked. Quick Comparison
19. Firebase vs Parse Server
Parse Server or Firebase, what's the best choice to build and host your App backend? Learn more on this article.
Firebase is a complete platform for building mobile and ... We take care of the complex server infrastructure so you can focus on creating an extraordinary ...
I am currently building an app for ios using swift. I am using parse server on Heroku now. So far I got a sign in and sign up system working, I have a ...
Cloud Services: How does Firebase differ from Parse? Frequently asked in. ... Both Parse and Firebase allow for building server-less apps.
Parse Server; Open Source; Docs; Help; ... Real-time updates like Firebase? 1 vote 2 answers 9.97k views about 2 years ago Connor Duggan Are there ...
Cloud Services: How does Firebase differ from Parse? I really like Firebase. ... But Parse server does not feature this validation. Background jobs.
Firebase - App success made simple by google. (Android, iPhone, and Design Tools) Read the opinion of 43 influencers. Discover 2 alternatives like Parse ...
The open source Parse backend. Setup your self-hosted Parse API today. Migrate Existing App View on GitHub ...