Published on March 1, 2014
5 Reasons Content Strategy & Content Engineering Go Together - LIKE MILK AND OREO COOKIES – ©2014 Content Science + Kanban
ABOUT US…(just a few words, we promise)
OPPORTUNITY: CONTENT MAGIC
YOUR MAGICAL “OREO” MOMENT demands capabilities like these… • Agility – Adapt and respond • Scalability – Extend to other brands, products, audiences / customers, or purposes • Repeatability – Replicate each day, week, month TO GET RESULTS LIKE THESE… • Audience Engagement • Eﬃciency • Revenue / Conversion
MAGIC FEELS MAGICAL, but it’s an illusion that’s planned and engineered To Create Content Magic, You Need STRATEGY + ENGINEERING
Your 5 Opportunities to Create Magic 1. Personalization
1. Personalization STRATEGY ENGINEERING • User Journey / Lifecycle • Content Assets + Modeling • Cost / Beneﬁt • Data Sources • Transformation • Enhancement • Localization
1. Personalization • Does personalization pay oﬀ for your users? • Do you have the right content structure? • Do you have content gaps?
A Customer Lifecycle for a Niche Retailer
Reuse Research Content for Nurture Phase
1. Personalization • Which systems maintain the data that drives the experience? • How is the user authenticated?
Technologies that Impact Content Personalization Ad Mgmt / DSP Campaign Mgmt Content Management System DAM / VMP Tag Mgmt Commerce User Mgmt CRM Web & Mobile Analytics Social Media Listening & Mgmt Content Sourcing DMP Browser / Presentation A/B or Multivariate Testing
1. Personalization • It’s a big eﬀort – start small! • If it requires a user to work hard or feels intrusive, personalization usually fails. • Consider the availability / uptime of your systems.
Your 5 Opportunities to Create Magic 1. Personalization 2. Presentation
2. Presentation STRATEGY ENGINEERING • Adaptation • Prioritization • Multi device • SEO • Page speed
2. Presentation • Is your content easy for your systems to access and for search engines to ﬁnd? • Do you make the right content available to users? • Do you have multiple versions of content to account for extreme screens?
• 11% of mobile users entered through photo pages. • 60% of users bounced. WHY?
• Only a cryptic caption presented with photo. • No orienting details presented.
2. Presentation • The great “responsive/adaptive” debate • Browser vs client side scripting • SEO – still not fool proof. Which tricks will help you and which can hurt you? • Caching presents both opportunities and challenges, depending on the technology.
Presentation Optimization • Lazy load for images • File cache handling + edge servers • Enhanced deployment + syndication process • HTML 5 + History API allows preﬁltered search engine results based on query
2. Presentation • It’s about much more than design. Plan for signiﬁcant content work. • Content metadata is your friend. • Dream big, but balance against design and development eﬀort. Be pragmatic.
Your 5 Opportunities to Create Magic 1. Personalization 2. Presentation 3. Authoring Experience
3. Authoring Experience STRATEGY ENGINEERING • • • • • Templates & Controls Editorial Process Content Lifecycle Standards Training • Workﬂow • Tools
3. Authoring Experience • Does your process and content lifecycle drive your systems’ workﬂow? • Do you have templates that help enforce your standards?
Deﬁne Process + Lifecycle First Appropriate SME Step
3. Authoring Experience • Workﬂow is not just to create and publish content. What about enhancement? Transcreation? Syndication? Video? • Don’t let UGC contributions go unchecked. • Lock down presentation layer even if CMS tools provide greater ﬂexibility.
FLEXIBILITY AND CONTROL
3. Authoring Experience • • • Better authoring experience = better content capability Train in more than tools. Train in process and connection of process to strategy. Be wary of OOB workﬂow – lack of in-context review/ approval capabilities impact your ability to componentize and reuse.
Your 5 Opportunities to Create Magic 1. Personalization 2. Presentation 3. Authoring Experience 4. Reuse
4. Reuse STRATEGY Engineering • Single Source • Content Structure • Reuse vs Repurpose vs Reimagine • Enhancement • Granularity • Contextualization
4. Reuse • Is reusing appropriate? Do you need to reimagine instead? • Is your content structured at a granular enough level to support reuse?
Modeling Reuse Potential Revealed Need for One Description 35
4. Reuse • Metadata / content attributes play a major role; many tools exist for metadata management. • As you get more granular, your ability to review and approve content in context is compromised. • As you deﬁne variations of modular content, DAMs become a key technology.
4. Reuse • Reuse should align with your personalization, presentation, and authoring plans. • Learn the science and art of content modeling. • Reuse has some complications that can balance out eﬃciencies. Ensure you have the right technology foundation.
Your 5 Opportunities to Create Magic 1. Personalization 2. Presentation 3. Authoring Experience 4. Reuse 5. Organization / Governance
5. Organization / Governance STRATEGY ENGINEERING • Centralized vs Decentralized • Evaluation • Empowerment • Roles + Responsibilities • Technology Selection • Scale
5. Organization / Governance • Do you have the right mix of oversight and autonomy, with clear roles and responsibilities? • Do you empower contributors and stakeholders with the right training and a collaborative culture? • Are your content decisions informed by data from ongoing evaluation?
It’s rewarding to see our progress + to tell that story to our stakeholders. It’s a relief to set realistic expectations of content impact with executives. THE CONTENTWRX VISION I see opportunities for some “quick wins” + bigger changes. If we inﬂuence what users think, we also inﬂuence what they do. Vision: Informed Decisions
5. Organization / Governance • How are business needs requiring IT support staﬀed? Prioritized? • Can existing systems support? Is it the technology or the implementation? • What is the process to select new technologies and integrate into the enterprise architecture? Who manages the vendor ecosystem?
RACI / DACI
5. Organization / Governance • Think of your content people, process, and technology as one big system. • Collaboration is oil to keep the system running smoothly. • Campaigns can be an easy way to see some quick wins, but the enterprise lens is the holy grail.
The Opportunities for Content Magic ARE NEARLY ENDLESS Content Strategy + Content Engineering Will Help You PRIORITIZE, PLAN, AND PERFORM
START CREATING YOUR OWN MAGIC… • Look at your content opportunities through the lenses of strategy and engineering. • Consider the content maturity model in our joint white paper: www.kanbansolutions.com/content. • Learn more from the article What Is Content Engineering? in Chief Content Oﬃcer or at contentmarketinginstitute.com. • For ideas and examples, check out Clout and Does Your Content Work? at the book table.
Oreos and Milk: 5 Reasons Content Strategy + Content Engineering Go Together (For Confab)
OREO - Milk's Favorite Cookie. Wonderfilled; Mini; Oreo Recipes; Products; ... OREO Recipes. Life Is Sweet. GET RECIPES; Wonderfilled Gallery Wonderfilled ...
Oreo Cookies, for instance, do ... with their evolved 'Play With Oreo' strategy. 3. Go Big or Go Home Brands ... Content Strategy & Content Engineering Go ...
We go together like Cookies & Milk! ... 5 oz sweetened condensed milk ... If you put these strategies in place, ...
Content Marketing Institute (CMI): ... Content Marketing Examples / Content Strategy / Understanding Your Audience. By Rohan Ayyar published May 22, 2016.
"Double stuf" Oreos don't contain double ... The "Stuf" Ridiculous Lawsuits Are Made Of ... Most people just lackadaisically buy skim milk, ...
Oreo. 42,247,609 likes · 476,714 talking about this. ... Milk. Nabisco Cookies. English (US) · Español · Português (Brasil) · Français (France ...
We bring buyers and sellers of digital marketing and customer experiences software and resources together ... Convince & Convert was ... content strategy ...