Published on March 11, 2016
1. OPEN BADGES THE MISSING LINK IN OPEN EDUCATION Prof. Dr. Ilona Buchem Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin @mediendidaktik #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA Photo: unsplash.com
2. 12 500 students 8 departments, 70 BA and MA programs Member in Virtual Universities Association
3. Output 1: Open Badge Network Framework & Leadership Output 2: Open Badge Network Infrastructure Output 3: Open Badges for Individuals & Organisations Output 4: Open Badges in Territories Output 5: Establishing Open Badges at Policy Levels Output 6: European Open Badge Network Output 7: Research, Evaluation and Quality http://www.openbadgenetwork.com/ #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM OPEN BADGE NETWORK / ERASMUS+
4. OPEN MOVEMENT - ACCESS REVOLUTION Open Licence (use of work) Open Access (research outputs) Open Source (source code) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM 1998 OpenContent (David Wiley) 1998 2001 OpenCourseware (MIT) 2001 Suber (2012) 2002 Open Edu Resources (UNESCO) 2002
5. OPEN MOVEMENT - CREATIVE DISRUPTION Open Learning (community) Open Coding (skills) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM 2009 Broekman et al. (2014) 2011 Open Syllabus (Jim Groom) 2010 MOOC (Siemens & Downes) 20082007 Open Data (knowledge) Open Badges (Mozilla) 2012
6. MIT OPENCOURSEWARE (OCW) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
7. OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES (OER) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
8. OPEN CURRICULUM #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM http://viral.trinity.duke.edu/
9. OPEN (ONLINE) UNIVERSITIES #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
10. MASSIVE OPEN ONLINE COURSES (MOOC) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
11. https://www.futurelearn.com #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM O P E N ? “After all, traditional college diplomas look elegant when hung on the wall, but they contain very little detail about what the recipient learned.” (Young, 2012)
12. REDESIGNING CERTIFICATES Source: http://opencourseware.weblog.tudelft.nl/ #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
13. “The Web has blown documents apart. (…) What once was literally a tightly bound entity has been ripped into pieces and thrown into the air. -Weinberger (2003) Small Pieces Loosely Joined. The unified theory of the Web. #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
14. REINVENTING (DIGITAL) CREDENTIALS “Mozilla Open Badges are Web-enabled tokens of learning and accomplishment Casilli & Hickey (2016) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM Image: http://sportthieme.scene7.com/ Open Badges form a loose federation of many small digital credentials.
15. “ Mozilla Open Badges is an initiative exploring alternative ways for learners to receive recognition for skills and achievements gained outside of the school environment, such as open credentialing and accreditation for all types of learning, including informal and interest driven. -Knight & Casilli (2012) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM Gamification
16. REINVENTING (DIGITAL) BADGES Open Bades Technical Specification defines the metadata required for interoperability #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM Image: DigitalMe “90% of the badge system is not visual” Klein, J. (2013)
17. OPEN BADGES INFRASTRUCTURE OBI is the underlying technology supporting badge issuing, collection, and display. #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
18. SOCIOLOGY OF CREDENTIALISM “Credentials are (a) monopolized by competing occupational status groups as exclusionary status, cultural entry barriers to positions and (b) used by hiring parties as measure of candidates’ trustworthiness in positions that embody discretionary powers.” Brown (2001) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
19. Open Badges can be issued not only from teacher to student, but also peer to peer, student to teacher, student to university, teacher to university, employer to employee, employee to employer, or even me to myself. Student Employee Teacher University Employer #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM DISRUPTING CREDENTIALING PRACTICE
20. Open Badges can help learners to connect diverse learning contexts, learning episodes, learning outcomes, by assembling learning evidence and creating learning pathways. #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM CONNECTING LEARNING Casilli (2013)
21. CC BY-SA Alec Couros (Flickr) #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM CONNECTED LEARNER Connected Learning Alliance
22. #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM “Some observers see a darker side, though, charging that badges turn all learning into a commodity, and thus cheapen the difficult challenge of mastering something new. Rather than dive into an assignment out of curiosity, many students might focus on an endless pursuit of badges.” Young (2012) OPEN CHALLENGES
23. #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM “Combined data of multiple badges could be used by web crawlers or data companies to build individual profiles of learners, including what content they would like to purchase, what specific skills could be utilised in the workforce, or how future content might be developed to attract similar learners” Willis, Quick & Hickey (2015) OPEN CHALLENGES
24. THE MISSING LINK #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM “A missing link would possess the "in-between" evolutionary properties of both the ancestors' original traits and the traits of the evolved descendants, hence showing a clear connection between the two.” (Melina, 2010) ? Open Education
25. RESEARCH ON OPEN BADGES
26. RESEARCH @BEUTH BeuthBadges initiative: #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM Bachelor and Master Thesis: Programs for migrants: Perceived usefulness to employers Competency assessment for Open Badges Design requirements for Open Badges Awareness campaign for students Policy recommendations from Germany
27. OBN RESEARCH #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM • Use cases: Eliciting requirements for OB design, delivery and exploitation • Competency repository: Aligning OB standard with Competency Frameworks including auto-detection of badges relating to same competencies • Policy survey: Eliciting policy recommendations for the uptake of OB in Europe • Quality survey: Investigating quality aspects of Open Badges and guidelines • Pilot studies & guidelines: OB for individuals, organisations and in territories • OBN MOOC: Focus on transformative change – employability and education Research in the Open Badge Network / Erasmus+ project
28. READING 2016 http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319154244 #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138857605 • Badges as Professional Credentials • Badges and Motivation to Learn • Instructional Design Considerations • Design Frameworks for Badges • Digital Badges in MOOCS • Open Badges and E-Portfolios • Badging as Micro-Credentialing • Learning at Scale and Big Data • The Value of Digital Badges Some of the topics:
29. RESEARCH QUESTIONS #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM • Educational questions, e.g. How are OB transforming academic credentialing and educational assessment? What is the impact of OB on motivation? • Design questions, e.g. What designs appeal to targeted audiences? What is the impact of OB on user engagement? How to create value proposition by design? • Technical questions, e.g. How to embed trust mechanisms in the OB standard? How to use Big Data to provide meaningful and useful metrics? • Ethical questions, e.g. What are the risks of digital transparency and ethical issues at the intersection of learning analytics and the data contained in OB? • Community questions, e.g. How to grow global and local OB communities? What approaches are effective in enhancing self-sustainable communities?
30. FUTURE RESEARCH Design for learning with OB: •For students, e.g. reflections on badges, learning pathways & playlists •By students, e.g. peer feedback, e-portfolios, community learning OB technologies for learning: •Extending the Open Badge Standard (OB Extensions) • Designing OB Backpack compatible systems and applications Using OB to enhance the student experience: •Learning experiences focused on and recognising passions & interests • Making open learning/open education verifiable and credible with OB #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
31. “ Thank you! @mediendidaktik @OpenBadgeNet #OpenBadges
32. REFERENCES ➤ Carla Casilli & Daniel Hickey (2016) Transcending conventional credentialing and assessment paradigms with information-rich digital badges, The Information Society, 32:2, 117-129. ➤ Casilli, C. (2013). Badge pathways. Retrieved from https://carlacasilli.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/ badge-pathways-part-1-the-paraquel ➤ Broekman, P., Hall, G., Byfield, T., Hides S. & Worthington, S. (2014). Open Education. A Study in Disruption. Rowman & Littlefield International, Series: Disruptions. ➤ Ito, M., K. Gutierrez, S. Livingstone, B. Penuel, J. Rhodes, K. Salen, J. Schor, J. Sefton-Green & Watkins, S. C. (2013). Connected learning: An agenda for research and design. Irvine, CA: Digital Media and Learning Research Hub. Retrieved from www.dmlhub.net/publications ➤ Klein, J. (2013). Design feedback for badge systems. Jess Klein. Retrieved from http:// jessicaklein.blogspot.com/2013/01/design-feedback-for-badge-systems.html ➤ Melina, R. (2010). What’s the Missing Link? Livescience. Retrieved from http://www.livescience.com ➤ Suber, P. (2013). Open access. MIT Press essential knowledge. Retrieved from https://mitpress.mit.edu ➤ Willis, J. E., Quick, J. & Hickey, D. T (2015). Digital Badges and Ethics: The Uses of Individual Learning Data in Social Contexts. In: D. Hickey, J. Jovanovic, S. Lonn, J.E. Willis, III (eds.): Proceedings of the Open Badges in Education (OBIE 2015). New York, USA. Retrieved from http://ceur-ws.org ➤ Young, J. R. (2012). Badges Earned Online Pose Challenge to Traditional College Diplomas. The Chronicle of Higher Education, 1-7. Retrieved from http://chronicle.com/article/Badges-Earned-Online- Pose/130241/ #RIDE2016 | UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 11-04-2016 | CC BY-SA | ILONA BUCHEM
... focused on Open Badges as the missing link in ... My aim was to view Mozilla Open Badges in a wider context of Open Education and this again ...
Free and open. Mozilla Open Badges is not proprietary. ... Each badge has important data built in that links back to the issuer, ...
Open badges for education: what are the implications at the ... in open badges. Keywords: open education; ... link the presence of badges and ...
Display Display your badges across the web Earn badges from anywhere, ... How can I display my Open Badges? Using your Mozilla Backpack, which collects, ...
Open Badges for Lifelong Learning ... badge ecosystem is a critical and missing ... he looks through the badge offerings of several open education ...
Home Open Access Tracking Project (OATP) email@example.com Open Badges – the missing link? ... Original link; Share on Twitter; Share on Facebook;
This summer I presented a paper at the 1st International Workshop on Open Badges in Education (OBIE2014). In our study, we were exploring the potential of ...
Open Badges for Foreign Language Education. Introduction to earning and issuing open digital badges. ... COERLL • Center for Open Educational Resources ...
Mozilla Open Badges: Owner: Erin Knight, Carla Casilli, Sunny Lee, Emily Goligoski, Chris McAvoy, Brian Brennan, Mike Larsson, Jess Klein, Chloe ...
Follow this link to skip to ... Event Focus ... the Starlite Digital Badges team will “use Mozilla’s new free and open source ‘Open Badges ...