Published on May 19, 2016
1. integration (not only) via MOOCs Creating Perspectives through Education, Brussels Slides: http://bit.ly/daad16-refugees Anja Lorenz Fachhochschule Lübeck
2. Applications for asylum & registrated refugees in Germany bpb (09.02.2016): Zahlen zu Asyl in Deutschland http://www.bpb.de/politik/innenpolitik/flucht/218788/zahlen-zu-asyl-in-deutschland#Antraege
3. Facts(Germany 2015) 1,091,894 registered refugees 476,649 applications for asylum university entrance qualification - 16% of all refugees - 30% of Syrian refugees Federal office of Migration and Refugees https://www.bamf.de/SharedDocs/Meldungen/DE/2016/201610106-asylgeschaeftsstatistik-dezember.html
4. our mission OPEN UP access to higher education FAST & WITHOUT bureaucracy
5. Mission agenda 1. un-tutored courses 2. tutored courses and MOOCs 3. networking with other initiatives → first help becomes part of our institutional strategy
6. integration.oncampus.de from 0 to 13 first (un-tutored) courses in 2 weeks
7. 1st courses self-registration → no certificates or documents needed quickly opened-up from existing courses → untutored
8. free of charge for anybody: refugees and regular students ECTS credits by FH Lübeck no exam fee for refugees just started summer term 2016 2nd level tutored courses
9. 3,600 registrations Everyone is welcome!
10. German pronunciation training for (Syrian) learners #DEU4ARAB MOOC
12. #deu4arab 6 weeks MOOC team of Prof. Jürgen Handke (Marburg University) today 2.368 learners 1,640 at course start – 2,138 at the end 850 facebook group members data from 10th May 2016
13. Videos to practice German pronunciation (Arabic/German comparison)
14. Videos to practice German pronunciation with German keywords
15. having one’s pronunciation checked via uploaded voice recordings
16. Digital Badges & Certificates Simple imitator, Language juggler, Tone expert, Communication specialist
17. It’s all on YouTube(?) Reach relevant community
18. 148.086 suscribers promotion video published at January 23th MaroWeltShow
19. registered learners of the deu4arab MOOC (23.01.2016: 167 | 24.01.2016: 611)
20. Map of learners (May 10th 2016)
21. Residence status in Germany (answers to the survey at course start, N=171) 43.6% running asylum procedure 41.5% entiled to asylum in GER 10.6% on the jouney but not in GER 4,3% others
22. County of birth (answers to the survey at course start, N=150) Syria Algeria Morocco Egypt Saudi-Arabia Palestine Others 50.7%
23. Current country of residence (answers to the survey at course start, N=144) Germany Algeria Malaysia Egypt Syria Palestine Others 55.9%
24. integration is no competition Networking 4 refugees
25. iMOOX & mooin
26. Lübeck, Kiel, Maro, VHS (Germany), iMOOX (Austria), OpenClassrooms (France)
27. partners of kiron university: MOOC Makers meet refugee activists
28. Proud to be part of it! (some more time for platform features?) Network 4 refugees
29. Thank you! Creating Perspectives through Education, Brussels Slides: http://bit.ly/daad16-refugees Anja Lorenz Fachhochschule Lübeck Anja Lorenz @anjalorenz firstname.lastname@example.org http://about.me/anjalorenz
30. Barriers against access to higher education Federalism Verification of university entrance qualification Unsure perspective of remaining at a location Language Lorenz, Wulff, Wittke (2016): #refugeesWelcome an der Fachhochschule Lübeck. Schnelle und unbürokratische Bereitstellung von Bildungsangeboten. GML²: Grundfragen Multimedialen Lehrens und Lernens in Berlin (im Druck).
31. mooin own MOOC plattform since 03/2015 8 MOOCs in 2015 40 MOOCs planned until 2020 https:// . .de
32. What does it need to offer a MOOC for refugees? Feature check
33. refugees use mobile devices responsive platform
34. Access to mooin(19.05.2015) desktop: 78,46% mobile: 12,65% tablet: 8,89%
35. Access to mooin(01+02/2016) tablet: 37% mobile: 12% desktop: 48%
36. support of Arabic means RTL multilingual, Google Translate
37. Multilingual surface & integrating Google translate
38. bilingual content
39. What does it mean to offer a MOOC for refugees? Reality check
40. Bug fixing
41. understand standard replacements | translate add-ons
42. direction of navigation in RTL-languages
43. direction of navigation in RTL-languages
44. Review, maintenance, learners’ support, social networks Arabic-speaking student assistents
45. Arabic-speaking support needed → Arabic-speaking assistants/lecturers hired
46. Arabic-speaking support needed → Arabic-speaking assistants/lecturers hired
47. Use keyboards with Arabic symbols
integration (not only) via MOOCs Creating Perspectives through Education, ... integration.oncampus.de from 0 to 13 first (un-tutored) courses in 2 weeks.
The future of MOOCs. ... are those of the reader ONLY and NOT those of University World ... demand for higher education through new campus ...
... (MOOCs) created for ... People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account; ... MOOCs: The Future of Education? Massive Open Online Course ...
What do Librarians Need to Know About MOOCs? ... because not only are MOOCs here to stay, ... Other features include student collaboration via online ...
... earned via MOOCs. 7 Whether or not this ... MOOCs also should remember: MOOCs not only ... to their campus community. Furthermore, if MOOCs ...
A massive open online course ... These early MOOCs did not rely on posted ... "We do not recommend selecting an online-only experience over a blended ...
... will there be a place for the physical college campus experience in the future? MOOCs ... do not. MOOCs also are now at the ... via blended learning ...
... access via the internet. Skip to ... we’re not sure how use data to find answers to the questions that will make us ... “MOOC List” is an ...