Published on July 12, 2016
1. Nonprofit Videos (on a Budget) that Engage and Retain Donors
2. Steven Shattuck @StevenShattuck Chief Engagement Officer -‐ Bloomerang Executive Director -‐ Launch Cause Contributor to: NTEN, Nonprofit Hub, National Council of Nonprofits, Social Media Today, Search Engine Journal, Raven Internet Marketing Tools, HubSpot, Content Marketing Institute, INside Indiana Business, Ragan, Business2Community Speaker: Association of Fundraising Professionals, National Council of Nonprofits, ADRP, NCDC, NAMP, ANN, PRSA, Planet Philanthropy, Cause Camp Your presenter » @StevenShattuck
3. Why engage? Why retain? @StevenShattuck
4. Why engage? move people to action Why retain? keep them engaged @StevenShattuck
5. http://afpfep.org Growth in Giving Initiative / FEP » @StevenShattuck
6. The 2015 results are in » https://bloomerang.co/blog/infographic-2016-fundraising-effectiveness-project-survey-report/ @StevenShattuck
7. First-‐time donor retention » 29% 1/3 of orgs < 16% @StevenShattuck
8. @StevenShattuck Why do donors leave?
9. @StevenShattuck • 5% -‐ thought charity did not need them • 8% -‐ no info on how monies were used • 9% -‐ no memory of supporting • 13% -‐ never got thanked for donating • 16% -‐ death • 18% -‐ poor service or communication • 36% -‐ others more deserving • 54% -‐ could no longer afford https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140520191728-746287-- infographic-why-donors-stop-their-support Why nonprofit donors leave »
10. @StevenShattuck Why do donors stay loyal?
11. @StevenShattuck Key drivers of donor commitment » 1. Donor perceives your organization to be effective in trying to achieve its mission. 2. Donor knows what to expect from your organization with each interaction. 3. Donor receives a timely thank you. 4. Donor receives opportunities to make his or her views known. 5. Donor is given the feeling that he or she is part of an important cause. 6. Donor feels his or her involvement is appreciated. 7. Donor receives information showing who is being helped.
12. @StevenShattuck Key drivers of donor commitment » 1. Donor perceives your organization to be effective in trying to achieve its mission. 2. Donor knows what to expect from your organization with each interaction. 3. Donor receives a timely thank you. 4. Donor receives opportunities to make his or her views known. 5. Donor is given the feeling that he or she is part of an important cause. 6. Donor feels his or her involvement is appreciated. 7. Donor receives information showing who is being helped. the content problemUSE VIDEO TO DO THESE THINGS!
13. @StevenShattuck •Ask •Thank •Report Ineffective videos try to do two or more, or none of these! Videos should either » ask thank report repeat
14. @StevenShattuck “About Us” video » https://bloomerang.co/blog/3-‐types-‐of-‐videos-‐nonprofits-‐should-‐stop-‐producing/
15. @StevenShattuck •Ask: clear, urgent, emotional, relatable •Thank: fast, personal, unique •Report: specific, impactful, timely •All can be fun •One video for one person is best Videos should either »
16. @StevenShattuck Asking
17. @StevenShattuck Ask example » https://vimeo.com/31912520
18. @StevenShattuck Ask example »
19. @StevenShattuck Ask example » https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAKgylmFMy0&list=PL410B49A8E7976929
20. @StevenShattuck Ask example » https://bloomerang.co/blog/and-‐the-‐bloomie-‐goes-‐to-‐greenpeace-‐usa/
21. @StevenShattuck •Specific and urgent •Scripts help, but don’t read from one •Multiple ways to ask •Get recipients involved •Clear call-‐to-‐action •dedicated URL Asking tips »
22. @StevenShattuck Thanking
23. @StevenShattuck Thank example » https://youtu.be/JBPdlOuXwfo
24. @StevenShattuck Thank example » https://twitter.com/GivingtoPurdue/status/725288948117942273
25. @StevenShattuck https://vine.co/v/b5tnVIVjt2M Thank example »
26. @StevenShattuck Thank example »
27. @StevenShattuck Thank example » https://twitter.com/whitworth/status/715193959278993411
28. @StevenShattuck •One video for one person •Scripts help, but don’t read from one •Get the people you serve involved! •Shorter = higher volume Thanking tips »
29. Email receipt » @StevenShattuck
31. @StevenShattuck •Online donation thank you page •Online donation confirmation email (link to video) •Personal email (link to video) •Social media Where to deploy thank you vids »
32. @StevenShattuck Reporting
33. @StevenShattuck Report example »
34. @StevenShattuck Report example » https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobgGSdSR3Y
35. @StevenShattuck •Donor-‐centric •not about what your org did •Numerous •not just one video per year •Segmented •a video for a particular donor/group of donors Reporting tips »
36. @StevenShattuck Making the video
37. @StevenShattuck Pre-‐production » •Planning is important, but leave room for serendipity •think like a journalist •be on the lookout for “moments” and capture them
38. @StevenShattuck Pre-‐production » Questions to ask: •Who is the audience? •How do we want them to feel? •What do we want them to do? •Who is the best person/thing to communicate this?
39. @StevenShattuck Production » •Shooting •smart phones •low/medium-‐quality is okay •high-‐quality can turn some donors off •DSLRs •pro-‐sumer equipment •hire a video company
40. @StevenShattuck Production » •Editing •Instagram/Vine built-‐in editing •iPhone apps •iMovie •Final Cut •Outsource •Candidio
41. @StevenShattuck Repurposing
42. @StevenShattuck Repurposing » •Start with an existing large piece of content •break it into smaller pieces of content •can start with a video or result only in videos
43. @StevenShattuck Crowdsourcing » •You don’t have to do it alone! •Collect footage and edit together •use #hashtags to monitor •encourage use of public dropbox folder •Re-‐use standalone pieces from others
44. @StevenShattuck Hosting » •YouTube •Vimeo •Vine •Instagram •Facebook •Self-‐hosted Don’t put the same video on every network/site! Each has a unique style/audience expectation.
45. @StevenShattuck Length » •As long as it needs to be to tell the story •Longer videos are easier to make than shorter, but… •shorter videos are usually more effective •attention spans are short •brevity is the soul of wit •No hard and fast rules
46. @StevenShattuck Distributing » •Email •Social media •Live events •Direct mail •Website
47. @StevenShattuck Event videos » •If it’s an ask, make the ask IMMEDIATELY after the video concludes •Don’t play during the meal portion (too loud) •Don’t wait until the end of the evening •Be sure to test A/V in the room •Avoid producing an event recap video •event promo is better https://bloomerang.co/blog/3-‐types-‐of-‐videos-‐nonprofits-‐should-‐stop-‐producing/
48. @StevenShattuck Final tips » •Donor-‐centric always •Keep your smartphone at the ready •Quantity over quality? •Measure and adjust frequently
49. Questions? email@example.com @StevenShattuck @StevenShattuck
Up until recently, high-quality video production has been a luxury available only to the largest nonprofits. Now, even the smallest charity on a budget can ...
Nonprofit Videos (on a Budget) that Engage and Retain Donors. With the evolution of smartphone technology the ability to create high quality ...
Nonprofit Videos (On a Budget) That Engage and Retain Donors. Even the smallest charity on a budget can create a compelling and authentic video that moves ...
With the evolution of smartphone technology the ability to create high quality video is pretty much in the hands of everyone. For example, Tangerine, a ...
WEBINAR: Nonprofit Videos (On a Budget) that Engage and Retain Donors. ... even the smallest charity on a budget can create a compelling and authentic ...
Donors. Types of Funds; ... Legacy Society; Our Donors; Nonprofits. Our Grantmaking; Nonprofit Resources; ... NonProfit Videos (On a Budget) That Engage ...
WEBINAR: Nonprofit Videos (on a Budget) that Engage and Retain Donors. Presented by: Steven Shattuck. Wednesday, August 24 th, 2016 11:45 p.m. - 1 p.m.
Upcoming Webinars July 27, 2016 trategic Doing: Making Plans That Impact Ben Mohler, ACFRE August 9, 2016 Engage Your Board in Fundraising Sandy Rees, CFRE
Ethics and Donors; Ethics Papers and Articles; Emerging Issues; Enforcement Procedures; Ethics Sanctions; International Ethics; Ethics Assessment Inventory ...