Published on March 10, 2014
Learning and Leadership Directorate NSW Community Languages Schools Program
Overview • Overview of support for community languages schools • Questions
NSW Community Languages Schools Program The NSW Community Languages Schools Program is managed by the Department’s Learning and Leadership Portfolio based at Oxford Street, Darlinghurst
Purpose of the NSW Community Languages Schools Program • Support the maintenance, development and acquisition of community languages • Assist communities to improve the learning outcomes of students enrolled in a regular school from Kindergarten to Year 12 who are learning languages other than English • Provide opportunities for professional development of community languages school teachers • Provide administrative support and advice to community languages schools
2013 Statistics • 256 organisations • 458 locations • 31 517 students • 56 languages • 2 456 teachers
Community Languages Schools Program Number of Students by Language in 2013 Arabic Mandarin Vietnamese Greek Cantonese Korean Tamil Japanese Dari Turkish Bangla Serbian Assyrian Italian Russian Punjabi Armenian Indonesian Hindi 6,394 6,128 3,339 2,505 2,096 1,967 1,025 832 578 522 476 432 422 390 360 346 313 280 241 Sinhala Portuguese Croatian Polish Khmer Macedonian Sanskrit Swedish Hebrew Thai Spanish Persian Samoan German Lao Pulaar Maori Somali Urdu 199 195 189 185 173 171 170 144 141 134 128 103 100 90 73 52 51 49 49 Marathi Ukrainian Hungarian Bosnian Kurdish Finnish Maltese Pukapuka Czech/Slovak Bulgarian Nepali Latvian Uighur Telugu Filipino Malay Malayalam Tibetan Tongan 47 46 45 42 39 37 37 36 34 28 20 15 14 13 12 10 N/A N/A N/A
Funding by Region - 2013 200 180 160 140 120 100 178 80 60 120 40 67 56 20 16 20 Hunter and Central Coast Illawarra and South East 1 0 Northern Sydney Riverina South Western Sydney Sydney Western Sydney
Support for community languages schools in NSW 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Grants Program Free use of government school facilities Professional development for teachers and resources The Minister’s Award in Excellence in Student Achievement NSW Community Languages Schools Board
1. Grants Program • Establishment Grant • Per Capita Grant • Specific Purpose Grant
1. Grants Program – Establishment Grant • Management committee • Constitution with language teaching as an objective • Certificate of Incorporation • Australian Business Number (ABN) • Syllabus • Teacher Profile Forms – downloaded from website • Certificate of Currency of Public Liability Insurance
1. Grants Program – Per Capita Grant To be eligible, students must: • be enrolled in a mainstream school and that enrolment is verified by the Program • attend at least 70 per cent of classes during Term 1 • not be enrolled in another community languages school teaching the same language.
1. Grants Program – Specific Purpose Grant • Educational merit • Evidence of community consultation, research and identified needs • Effective project planning including budget and timeline • Capacity and skills of project team members to achieve project outcomes • Benefit to communities that use the same language and/or teaching practice
2. Free use of government school facilities • Available to community languages schools at no cost • Mainstream school principals are responsible for approving community languages schools for usage of their facilities
3. Professional development • Program Support Officers • Certificate of Language Teaching • Teaching resources (including access to Henry Parkes Equity Resource Centre)
4. Minister’s Award for Excellence in Student Achievement 2013 Awards Ceremony • 318 nominations • 43 languages • 10 Minister’s Award recipients • 48 highly commended • 76 commended • http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/news-atdet/news/student-achievement-awardslanguages
4. The 2013 Minister’s Award for Excellence in Student Achievement
5. NSW Community Languages Schools Board Jozefa Sobski - Chair REPRESENTATVES OF COMMUNITY ORGANISATIONS AND AGENCIES REPRESENTATIVES OF GOVERNMENT AGENCIES Dr Lakshmi Satyanarayana NSW Federation of Community Languages Schools Amanda Austin Hunter Parents’ and Teachers ‘ Association of Community Languages Schools Michael Christodoulou AM Community Relations Commission Associate Professor Ken Cruickshank The University of Sydney Mary Karras Catholic Education Commission Jon Soemarjono Ethnic Communities Council of NSW David Hope Federation of Parents and Citizens Associations of NSW Albert Vella Australian Federation of Ethnic Schools Association Milica Zimonjic Association of Illawarra Community Languages Schools Adelia Fuller Principal, Saturday School of Community Languages NSW Curriculum and Learning Innovation Centre Nicholas Perkins Leader, Early Learning and Primary Education Learning and Leadership Portfolio Howard Jacobs Inspector, Languages, Office Of the NSW Board of Studies Hanya Stefaniuk OAM Former Manager, Multicultural Programs Unit Department of Education and Communities Dr David Cullen Director, Early Learning and Primary Education Learning and Leadership Portfolio
NSW Community Languages Schools Program Contact information Website: www.dec.nsw.gov.au/what-weoffer/community-programs Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Nina Conomos, Coordinator Telephone: (02) 9244 5677 Vera Szyjan, Support Officer Telephone: (02) 9244 5730
Nina Conomos. NSW Community Languages Schools Program Coordinator at NSW Department of Education and Communities. Location Sydney, Australia Industry
1. Learning and Leadership Directorate NSW Community Languages Schools Program ; 2 ...
The Korean Plant-A-School program is funded by the Korean Education Centre and assists NSW public schools ... Conomos (Coordinator, Community Languages ...
Developing Community Languages Schools Program website ... Nina Conomos A/Leader, Community Languages Schools Program email@example.com Vera Szyjan
Korean Plant-A-School Agreement. ... Amanda Davis (Languages Advisor, ... KEC), Nina Conomos (Coordinator, Community Languages Schools Program), ...
Community Schools Program ... Communities In Schools College Access Program Director ... NSW Community Languages Schools Program Coordinator at ...
and Workplace Relations through the National Asian Languages and Studies in Schools Program. ... Schools Program Nina Conomos Community Languages Schools ...
TEACHER PROFILE FORM. ... NSW Community Languages Schools Program. Page 2 of 2. Title: TEACHER PROFILE FORM Author: DTEC Last modified by: Conomos, Nina ...
ESTABLISHMENT GRANT ACQUITTAL REPORT NSW COMMUNITY LANGUAGES SCHOOLS PROGRAM . Establishment Grant Acquittal Report. ... Conomos, Nina ...
Minister's Awards for Excellence ... Community Languages Schools honour the achievements of outstanding students from community ... firstname.lastname@example.org ...