Published on March 18, 2014
Félix Cuadrado Network Support for Cloud Applications International Workshop in Trends in Future Communications CPqD, Campinas, Brazil 25th February 2014
• 18,000 students in London • Member of Russell Group •School of EECS • 70 academic staff • £37M research grant portfolio • Networks research group • Wireless and systems networking • 16 academic staff • 50+ PhDs and Postdocs Queen Mary University of London 2
• Distributed services management in the datacenter • Monitoring of events • Objectives-based management • Automated diagnosis • Self-configuration • Self-healing Datacenter Services Management 3 Node N1 Container static_web Node N6 Node N10 Node N3 Node N5 Node N4 Container esb1 Container esb1Container prc2 Container esb2Container esb1Container prc1 Container dyn_web2Container bsn_logic1 Container ora_dbContainer ora_db CoRs PrRc PrCg PrMg ClMg AcMg AcDA CPDA ClDA OpAc ClPo ClPS ClDS CrPD AcDS CPDA Container bsn_logic2Container bsn_logic2 C Node N1 Container static_web Node N6 Node N10 Node N3 Node N5 Node N4 Container esb1 Container esb1Container prc2 Container esb2Container esb1Container prc1 Container dyn_web2Container bsn_logic1 Container ora_dbContainer ora_db CoRs PrRc PrCg PrMg ClMg AcMg AcDA CPDA ClDA OpAc ClPo ClPS ClDS CrPD AcDS CPDA Container bsn_logic2Container bsn_logic2Container bsn_rule1 PrRR OAcP PrRP Managed Domain Configura on Host Resource Environment Host Resource RR RR RR Res Logical Resource Base LR LR LR CRC CRC LR Objec ves O O O O O O EXTERNAL CHANGES Management System Monitor Analyze Plan ExecuteKnowledge LRB Obj Cf INTERNAL CHANGES Migrate Compute, Messaging Update Graph Decide Migrations BSP SYNC BARRIER BSP SYNC BARRIER Distributed Graph Processing
The Cloud 1.0 4 User Latency Reliability
Geo-distributed Cloud Applications 5 User Latency Reliability Dynamism
• Spans over a multi tenant infrastructure • Datacenters, CDN: computing resources • Internet Service Providers, IXPs • Distributed Application Overlay • Nodes (computing), and links (connectivity) • Requirements on links to end users and intra- application links • Elasticity: dynamically adapt to user workload Anatomy of a Cross Cloud Application 6
• Applications know what they need (QoS, requirements) • Latency, bandwidth are often the performance bottlenecks • But only control cloud resources • Where to deploy? • Hack network at application layer (proxies, load balancer, middleboxes) • Compensate/adjust on transport protocols Applications and Networks don’t talk 7 • Network views aggregated packet information • Internal information hidden for other stakeholders • Static network configuration
• Programmatic control plane for the network • Control forwarding behaviour • Break into the protocol stack • Network virtualization resources can be dynamically allocated Enter SDN 8 Logically Centralised Control Plane, on a Internet Scale, multi-tenant infrastructure?
• Applications are managed based on measured server metrics. • CPU, memory, requests/second, service time • We also need network information monitoring! • Static information (topology) • Dynamic information (network status) … “real time” Network analytics 9 Scalable Fine-grained Network Monitoring Network plus Server App Analytics Application-aware network management
• Applications management plane has to orchestrate both compute and network infrastructure • Use SDN to help with transient states, migration • … and automatically handle application high availability Dynamic Cloud App management with SDN 10 Infrastructure ecosystem Act at the right timescale Decide where and how much Manage transitional states
• Cloud applications require some services • Security, load balancing, forwarding… • Geo-distributed applications need similar support! • How to extend to a network-wide scale? • Co-location of application nodes- support services • Efficient support of dynamic overlays • Configure with changing network-wide policies Network-wide services for applications 11 Load Balan cer Proxy Trans coder FW IDSCache … As challenging to manage as the applications themselves
• Cloud applications are a strong use case for SDN • Support latency requirements • Link to end user, intra application communications • We need to talk! • Application management needs to become aware of the networking side • Orchestration of the network and computing infrastructure must be addressed • How do we support autonomic dynamic application management, in a scalable way? Conclusions 12
Obrigado! firstname.lastname@example.org International Workshop in Trends in Future Communications CPqD, Campinas, Brazil 25th February 2014
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
Transcripts - Network Support for Cloud Applications - Felix Cuadrado. 1. Félix Cuadrado Network Support for Cloud Applications International Workshop in ...
... and engineering them to work better. e.g. cloud applications, ... (dynamic) changes, that are interconnected over a network. ... felix dot cuadrado ...
... Cloud Computing, Autonomic Computing, ... Mobile application stores: ... Felix Cuadrado, Dionysios Logothetis.
Support for QML researchers; Publications; ... Publications: Felix Cuadrado. Back to Search ... Research challenges for cross-cloud applications.
ResearchGate is a network dedicated ... There is an opportunity for developing cross-cloud applications that can be ... Felix Cuadrado · Juan C ...
Research Challenges for Cross-Cloud Applications ... email@example.com ... a cross-cloud infrastructure. A. Network Support for Applications
... Research challenges for cross-cloud applications. ... Implementation for Mobile Devices Recognition from Massive Network Data. ... Felix Cuadrado, ...
View 573 Support From The Cloud posts, presentations, experts, and more. Get the professional knowledge you need on LinkedIn. LinkedIn Home What is LinkedIn?