Published on November 8, 2017
1. 1 www.dublindesign.com Navigating the Complexities of Attribution HOSTED BY:
2. Presenters • Aaron Fletcher – Network Operations Jedi at C3 Metrics – @c3metrics • Jacob Brown – Senior Account Analyst at Hanapin Marketing – PPC Hero Blogger – @jakebrownppc
3. – Run the world’s most popular PPC blog and conference. – We manage and optimize global paid search, paid social, and display programs. – Within 12 months, brands can expect a 250% increase in their growth trajectory. Who is Hanapin?
4. Our Clients
5. HQ: PORTSMOUTH SAN DIEGO • ATLANTA 100+ CLIENTS WORLDWIDE EST. 2010 MEDIA AGNOSTIC WINNERS Red Herring 100 (Global) AlwaysOn (Global)
6. 6© 2017 C3 Metrics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.Machine-Learning • 15-44% ROI Improvement • www.C3Metrics.com C3 Metrics Leaders in TV & Digital measurement John Dimling Fmr Chairman & CEO, Nielsen Jeffrey Silverman Fmr President, DoubleClick Jeff Greenfield Founder, COO Mark Hughes Founder, CEO
7. 7© 2017 C3 Metrics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.Machine-Learning • 15-44% ROI Improvement • www.C3Metrics.com Leading Brands Single Source of Cross-Channel Truth for Marketing & Finance MARKETING CHANNELS: DIGITAL - TV – RADIO – OOH – PRINT – MAGAZINE PR – CONTENT – PRODUCT PLACEMENT CONVERSION SOURCES: ONLINE – APP - CALL CENTER – CRM – BRICK & MORTOR THE C3 DIFFERENCE: SECURITY – 100% US BASED – MACHINE LEARNING MODEL – 44% ROI Additional Details: C3 IS KNOWN FOR: DATA ACCURACY – OFFLINE/TRADITIONAL CAPABILITY – BEST IN PROGRAMATIC – INTEGRATED VIEWABILITY + CROSS-DEVICE
8. Join the conversation • Include the hashtag #thinkppc in your Twitter tweets. Or use the webinar question box to send us questions.
9. Live Poll Question #1 How long have you been in Online Advertising? #thinkppc A. Less than 1 year B. 1-3 years C. 3-5 years D. 5+ years
10. #thinkppc Non Data-Driven Model Options
11. Non Data-Driven Model Options Last Interaction: Giving full credit to the last interaction the user had (typically last click). Good For: Customer retention and continuing to put focus on bottom funnel efforts. (Brand Traffic, Direct Traffic, RLSA Traffic) First Interaction: Giving full credit to the first interaction the user had. Good For: Growth initiatives. Higher funnel marketing (Display, High Funnel Social efforts, Non-Brand keyword targeting) Linear: Giving equal credit to each interaction up until the conversion. Good For: Trying to create equal value across funnels
12. Non Data-Driven Model Options Time Decay: The closer to the action of converting the more credit the touchpoint will receive. Good For: Customer retention and continuing to put focus on bottom funnel efforts. (Brand Traffic, Direct Traffic, RLSA Traffic) Position Based: Gives 40% credit to first and last interactions and splits the other 20% to the middle Good For: Gaining new customers and the very bottom of the funnel (Brand, Direct traffic).
13. Non Data-Driven Model Options Issues with Non Data-Driven Models ● None of these models use extra levels of data to help prove what is driving sales ● All of these models are ‘set’ models, meaning no machine learning is occurring ● Most of these models (Last Interaction, First Interaction, Time Decay, Position-Based) hurt certain levels of the funnel without any proof that the level of the funnel isn’t helping the bottom line
14. Non Data-Driven Model Options Bayesian Theorum ● Thomas Bayes was thought to be the first person to write about how prior information can help determine later outcomes. ● Its this same thinking that helped Alan Turing used break the Enigma code during WW2. The Machine he built was also thought to be the start of modern computers.
15. Non Data-Driven Model Options How C3 Metrics Uses Bayesian ● Time to conversion ● Viewability ● Consistency of Position ● Causality All of these inputs can be used to analyze a funnel on a user by user basis, giving us the ability to analyze all the previous models in one.
16. #thinkppc Using Correlation Formulas to Judge Upper Funnel Efforts
17. Using Correlation Formulas Process of Getting Correlation Formulas ● Get raw data from last 365 days on your lower funnel metric and higher funnel metric you’re comparing ● Breakdown the data into 7 day averages rather than using day-by-day stats in an attempt to remove daily outliers ● Use the correlation formula on the 7 day averages: correl(range1,range2) & create graphs to visualize the trends
18. Using Correlation Formulas
19. Using Correlation Formulas
20. #thinkppc Knowing Your Cycle, Knowing Your Funnel
21. Knowing Your Cycle ● How long of a time range is there between different stages typically? ○ Awareness to Lead Form ○ Lead Form to Sale ● At what stage should your focus be? ○ Are you lacking growth (need more awareness) ○ Are you seeing traffic growth but no lead growth? (need better middle funnel advertising) ○ Are you seeing leads but lacking sales? (need better nurturing efforts)
22. Knowing Your Funnel ● Video Advertising (YouTube or TV) ● Interests, Topic Targeting on Display ● Interest Targeting on Social Networks ● More broad keywords in Search ● Lookalike Audience Targeting in Display & on Social Networks ● Long-Tailed or Brand keywords in Search ● Display Remarketing, Social Remarketing or RLSA Efforts
23. #thinkppc Using C3 to Align Your Cycle & Your Funnel
24. C3 Funnel Insights Originator Activity receives credit for originating a user's activity with your brand which helped lead to a conversion or sale. Roster Activity gets credited for helping to build the base for a user and educate a user who eventually converted Assister Activity receives credit for helping to directly assist a user by getting them to the conversion step Converter Activity gets credited for being the last step in the process that got the user to convert directly
25. Aligning Your Cycle & Funnel ● Looking for YoY growth? Put more money in your advertising efforts that do well as originators ● Looking to improve your sales or lead rates? Put more money in your advertising efforts or similar efforts that project to do well as roster builders or assisters ● Looking to improve your account efficiency & direct conversion rates? Put more money or more strategy into your remarketing or other efforts that have proven to have value as converters ● Looking to improve sales rates off leads OR returning customer rates for eCommerce? Put more into your lead nurturing efforts and/or your customer retention efforts. From RLSA to Social remarketing to Email advertising.
26. #thinkppc AVSR is ROI
27. AVSR is ROI ● AVSR = Attributed Value to Spend Ratio ● AVSR is C3 Metrics way of determining return on value ● Originator + Roster + Assist + Converter = Total Attributed Value ● TAV/Spend = AVSR or ROI ● Spend/TAV = ACPA or CPA
28. Offers! A. I'd like to learn more about C3 & getting fees waived! B. I'd like to be emailed more info on Excel Extravaganza! C. I’d like both! D. No, thanks.
29. Live Q&A Time!
30. #thinkppc Thank you for attending our webinar! #thinkppc Contact Hanapin Directly: firstname.lastname@example.org Contact C3 Metrics Directly: email@example.com Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts that Produce PPC Hero and Hero Conf