Published on February 17, 2014
The Name, Symbol and Slogan What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. - William Shakespeare Akash C.Mathapati Asst Professor – Marketing Area email@example.com
Names • Name is the basic core indicator of the brand, the basis for both awareness and communication efforts • It can serve as a substantial barrier to entry once it is established • An established brand can benefit from the establishment of a new subname • Name is much more permanent than most other elements of a marketing program Akash C.Mathapati
Generating Alternatives • Its useful to know which words & phrases will describe the associations that would be useful for the brand to have – – – – – Combining them into phrases Generating parts of words & combining them Considering symbols for each Using rhymes Using humor Akash C.Mathapati
• A powerful source of a name or slogan is a metaphor • metaphor is the use of a word or phrase denoting one concept in place of another concept suggesting a likeness between them – – – – Acura (derived from accurate) Sentra (from Sentry) Compaq (computer & Communication) (compact) Geo (geography – world or global connotation) Akash C.Mathapati
• Use a name with no associations • The name can then be imbued with meaning through product refinement • It may in fact be kept somewhat general or ambiguous Akash C.Mathapati
Is It Easy To Learn • Important aspect is its memorability • When a name is different or unusual enough to attract attention & perhaps to arouse curiosity – Zapmail than speedy mail – First federal will not stand out like Red Wagon Bank Akash C.Mathapati
• When a name has something about it that is interesting – such as rhyme, a pun or humor Akash C.Mathapati
• When a name elicits a mental picture or image • When a name has some emotion • Simple Akash C.Mathapati
Does it Suggest the Product Class • Brand name can play a key role in achieving an association with the product class, so that the brand will have high recognition/recall within the product class – Go-fly-a-kite – Overnight delivery services Akash C.Mathapati
Will The Name Support A Symbol or Slogan ? • A symbol & slogan can become important assests & need to be solidly linked to the name • Name can stimulate & support effective symbols & slogans • E.g., Harlem Savings Bank of New York – Apple Bank (we’re good for you) – Promo Line (“your money grows & grows at Apple Bank” “Take you pick from our branches”) Akash C.Mathapati
Symbols • Symbol can be the central element of brand equity, the key differentiating characteristic of a brand • Symbol can create awareness, associations and a liking or feelings which in turn can affect loyalty and perceived quality Akash C.Mathapati
• Symbols can be nearly anything: – – – – – – – Geometric shapes – prudential’s rock Things – wells Fargo stagecoach Packages – pringles cylindrical box Logos – apple with a bite out of it People – Asian Paints Scenes – Marlboro country Cartoon Character – Jolly Green Gaint Akash C.Mathapati
Attribute Associations • Note the slogan :you’re better off under the umbrella • Rock of Gibraltar mean strength, stability, a fortress against adversity • Dai-Ichi Kangyo – Little Red Heart Akash C.Mathapati
The commonest elements are names, symbols, logos, slogans, ... Healthcare brand names should ... Global Healthcare Guide & Consultany by Dr Prem ...
... is a name, term, design, symbol ... which positions itself in the PC market with the slogan (and sticker) "Intel Inside". Brand ... B2B Brand ...
Why place branding is not about logos and slogans. ... can make to the management of places as brands is ... brand is a name, term, design, symbol, ...
By Mosarrat Farhana in Brand Management and ... Lead to Brand Equity: Differentiate or Die ... Brand is a combination of name, symbol or ...
Hyundai Motor Company’s brand slogan, ... Management; IR; News; ... A brand slogan embodies the essence of a brand, ...
We build brands that are ... Brandsymbol is the strategic advantage needed for all ... specific need to name an innovative product as well as ...
Logos, slogans, and mascots help ... Name [File Type, Size] ... California Integrated Waste Management Board and Association of Bay Area Governments, ...
Brand (disambiguation) ... Brand is a name, sign, symbol, slogan or anything that is used to identify and ... Brand, the name given to several ...