Published on March 12, 2014
Jmé de Waal UX Professional Jme.deWaal@gmail.com
Web App & Mobile App Design iOS Android Windows
• Umpqua is a bank based in downtown Portland, OR. • Conforming to the rigid structure and the usual banking conventions is not Umpqua. • Umpqua’s business goals present our digital agency with a unique creative opportunity. • We featured Umpqua’s personality and whimsy, while bringing a better banking experience to Umpqua users’ desktop and mobile devices (i.e., iOS, Android, Windows). • We designed an app that even the single parent on a budget and the booming businessman managing multiple accounts can both enjoy.
• We use our mobile devices more frequently to access online banking today, than ever before. • Still, banks keep skimping on mobile banking features. • Simple tasks performed often are unnecessarily complex. • How can we simplify and streamline these standard processes?
• Skip the unnatural banking system jargon. • Speak the language of your users. • Streamline and automatize simple processes. • Offer useful and relevant information. • Orient users with clear feedback while they’re on-the-go.
CREDIT to ISOBAR Scott Judy (Project Sponsor) Brennon Martin (Project Manager) Kim Chesta (UX) Sabrina Lonigro (UX) Jmé de Waal (UX) Karen Dringeburg (VD) Andy Woolfolk (VD)
It’s great to get direct feedback from users to see where we hit the mark and where we have more room for improvement (i.e., system performance reliability).
Web site & Mobile site Design User Research Information Architecture Interaction Design
Chicago Public Library Web Site & Mobile Site Design http://vimeo.com/79528316 CREDIT to DePaul University’s College of Computing & Digital Media Travis Lowdermilk (Project Manager) Jmé de Waal (Deliverables) James Weaver (Report Editor) Wendy Daniels (Card Sort Manager)
Exploratory Research Contextual Inquiries Stakeholder Interviews User Surveys
CREDIT to DePaul University’s College of Computing & Digital Media Maya Lewis (Project Manager) Jmé de Waal (Research Report Author) Melody Xu (Data Visualization) Michael Mazur (Data Visualization)
• Illinois has the 3rd largest number of youth per capita in foster care. Without support the odds are against them. • 25% higher high school drop out rates • 50% higher special education placement rates • 60% fewer college enrollment rates • 70% higher violent crime arrests • Online resources dedicated to supporting youth following foster care system emancipation are very limited. • The Foster Care Alumni of America (IL-FCAA) website is under construction • The Struggling Youth Equals Successful Adults (SYESA) website requires login. • The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) website is outdated and inaccessible • Our studies uncovered a jarring disconnect between the perceived effectiveness and the actual effectiveness of current online support systems based on point-of-view.
Data Gathered in contextual inquiry
Data Interpreted from contextual inquiries & interviews
• Using contextual inquiries and interviews data, we developed a twenty-six-question online survey of participants currently or previously involved in the foster care system (between 18-24 years old) • Survey results confirmed dissatisfaction and frustration with the current online support system • Most users reported foraging for information directly from case managers or web surfing • Most users (67%) reported only “sometimes” trusting the online support systems’ content
• Build awareness and demonstrate support from trusted mutual connections by leveraging social media networks • Most users (67%) reported only “sometimes” trusting the online support systems’ content • All users reported prevalent use (daily visit to site) of social media (all indicated Facebook) • Employ participatory design meet users needs directly • Most users reported foraging for information directly from case managers or web surfing • Use salient access points with high signal-to-noise ratios • Most users reported foraging for information directly from case managers or web surfing • Offer reliable online resources to instill trust in users • Most users (67%) reported only “sometimes” trusting the online support systems’ content
• Explore the effectiveness of social media on job search performance • Most users reported foraging for information directly from case managers or web surfing • Most users (67%) reported only “sometimes” trusting the online support systems’ content • All users reported prevalent use (daily visit to site) of social media (all indicated Facebook) • Explore A-B testing to determine effectiveness of online resources in helping users beat the odds (i.e., crime and education) • Explore focus groups to identify necessary features integral to the success of a single online resource website
Jmé de Waal UX Designer Jme.deWaal@gmail.com
How to wow me with your UX research portfolio. ... concept of the ‘UX portfolio’. Just before I got my ... experience research; User experience design;
about me. I am a user experience ... Interaction/Design from Indiana University. My interest in user research and user experience design stems ...
Portfolio. All; UX Design; UX Research; Wireframes; ... © 2006-2014 User Experience Research and Design. www.UXRnD.net | Kejun Xu ...
... leading the user research for the out-of-box and Casting experiences ... Along with user research and design, my ... Copyright © 2014 Noor Ali-Hasan ...
Julie Harpring: User Experience Portfolio. ... Design research, user experience design including customer journey model, wireframes and flows, ...
Take a look at my UI/UX portfolio and ... 15 Fantastic Concepts of UI Design To Accelerate User Experience “Edmund Yu has ... Visual Design; User Research;
We help clients build better user experiences with a full range of UX activities: UI design, usability studies, customer research, design workshops, UX ...
The first step of any app or web project is to ... User Experience ... I tackle the UX by creating highly detailed wireframes supported by user research.
I am Dave Ballantine, ... the process of getting to know what drives customer behaviors through research and design. ... User Experience · User Research.
User Experience Design & Research Portfolio. ... Redesign of My Account section to make it ... Interface Evalutaion, User Research. Interaction Design, ...