Published on November 9, 2016
1. Data Visualization GEri - SpagoBI Davide Zerbetto, Nunzia Marotta Engineering Data Visualization GE Manager, Data Visualization GE Course Creator - FIWARE firstname.lastname@example.org ,email@example.com
2. Birt Report Designer TOPIC OF THE COURSE: the course aims at offering assistance to create a simple Report with Birt. We focused the attention on crucial steps from installation to the development of the document and finally show how the report can be transfered on server. Birt Report Designer
3. Birt, acronim for Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (check the website http://www.eclipse.org/birt/) is a well known reporting tool: SpagoBIStudio contains its designer while SpagoBI Server contains the runtime engine. About Birt
4. ➢ SpagoBI Server is the main module of the SpagoBI suite, offering the core and analytical functionalities. It provides two conceptual models (Analytical Model, Behavioural Model), administration tools and cross-platform services. ➢ SpagoBI Studio allows the developer to design and modify analytical documents such as reports, charts, GEO and cockpits. The module also supports the deployment phase, where the analytical documents have to be tested and released on SpagoBI Server, with which it interacts through SpagoBI SDK. FEW MORE INFORMATION
5. Let's start with SpagoBI Studio. Double click then on the icon SpagoBI.exe in the folder you just unzipped if your using Windows or double click on SpagoBI.sh if your using Linux. Select the location where you want to create your SpagoBI Studio workspace and click OK Execution And Presentation of the Environment
6. Now you can create a new SpagoBI Project (Menu File > New > SpagoBI Project) or use an existing one
7. Insert the name of your brandnew SpagoBI project and then click on the Finish button
8. First of all specify the target SpagoBI Server Instance (right click on server node into resources folder, then select New Server from contextual menu)
9. Start up your server, then enter the connection parameters and test the connection. If the test ends successfully click on Finish button to save it.
10. Now use the right mouse botton to create your first BIRT report. Simply follow the path Business Analysis > Report > Report with Birt
11. Give it a name and click on Finish button: the document will be automatically saved under Business Analysis folder.
12. The last step is to change perspective in order to start with your report. Open the Change Perspective botton and choose the Report Design perspective in order to rearrange the interface and have all the tools required to edit the report
13. Now you are ready to implement your first report with BIRT!
14. Birt report designer
15. Set the Data Source connection through the Data Explorer tab and by right mouse clicking on the Data Source item.
16. Select the JDBC Data Source type and give a name to the DataSource
17. Click on “Manage Drivers” Add the mysql Driver by selecting its location on your PC Click OK
18. Fill in the required fields in order to access your DB Test the connection to the DB Click OK
19. Click now on New Data Set
20. Give a name to your Data Set Select the Data Set Type Select the Data Source you created earlier
21. Create a simple Query that selects from the table “customer” the first 10 customers
22. Preview your results and then click OK
23. Report filling and preview
24. Drag and Drop in your Layout the fields of your DataSet
25. Click on Preview and see the result of your Report
26. If you want to view your Report output in another format just click on Run > View Report > As.
27. Well Done! Your first Report is ready! Well Done! Your first Report is ready!
28. From SpagoBI Studio to SpagoBI Server: deploy your Report
29. Define a new parameter with name “connectionName” and then edit the datasource Define a new parameter with name “connectionName” and then edit the datasource
30. You can easily deploy your report on the server thanks to the connection you set earlier.
31. Remember to select a folder of the Functionalities tree in which to store your report
32. To display the report just click on the icon
33. Here's the outcome!
34. Note that once the report has been deployed its state is set on Development by default. This means that the report is still not available to end-users.
35. You can change it by exploring the Detail button and switch it to the Release state.
36. We conclude this lesson by inviting the viewer to discover how to set parameters on report, in order to have a more dynamic statistic to exhibit and navigate, by watching our dedicated lesson on FIWARE platform.