Published on March 8, 2014
Move around to move ahead Sustain your passion for Technology for the long term Shubha Prithvi Raj Hewlett Packard 1
Introduction Speaker : Shubha Prithvi Raj • Product Manager at HP • 18+ years in the IT Industry • Development Manager for various domains – Printing, Security, Automotive, Aerospace, Web platform • Worked with various international teams India, US, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Brazil • Holds a degree in Engineering and Executive General Management Program from IIM-B 2
Of all women in the technology private sector, 56% will leave midway through their careers (Women 2.0 Feb 29 2012) 3
How to keep up with the pace of Tech Industry? 4
My Career Trajectory in the Technology Industry Release Cycle Aerospace >Decade Automotive 3-5 Years Digital TV Printers Web Platform 1-2 Years 1-2 Years 2 Wks– 3 months 5
5 steps to help you adapt to Tech Industry 6
1. The Product and the Development Life Cycle Understand the system overview and the development life cycle http://www.agileenterprises.com/agile-development/advantages-of-agile-development 7
1. The Product and the Development Life Cycle • Understand the business value • Get the system overview • Understand the product development cycle • Understand the risks and the mitigation plans http://www.diaspark.com/enterprise/product_product_development.html 8
2. Get Equipped –Skills, Process, Tools… Product development needs a supporting set of tools for development and deployment 9 http://www.washingtonpost.com/
2. Get Equipped – Skills, Process, Tools… • • • • • Understand technical details Seek additional trainings Understand the Process Start using the tools Go for certifications Tools Process Skills 10
3. Know Your Boundaries – Roles and Responsibilities Product development is a team effort The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. ~ Michelangelo 11
3. Know Your Boundaries – Roles and Responsibilities • Meet the key stakeholders • Understand what you are responsible for • Learn when to say “no” Team2 Team1 You 12
4. Get Connected – Develop a Network Work with internal and external teams for a win-win situation http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates 13
4. Get Connected – Develop a Network • Develop network within and outside the organization • Be approachable • Contribute to newsgroups Conferences • Find a “trusted advisor” • Sign up to various forums Teams You Forums Newsgroups 14
5. Move Ahead - Celebrate Success and Learn from Failures A successful product brings joy www.,wallsave.com A product can also fail due to various reasons http://dannyksimon.blogspot.com/2012/05/perspective-of-failure.html 15
5. Move ahead - Celebrate Success and Learn from Failures • Celebrate Success! • Take the best practices to next assignment • Share the joy with family and friends • Consider failures as learning experience • Take the support of family, friends • Do not lose confidence Failure Learning1 Learning2 16
Recap Product 1. The Product and the Development life cycle Support Tools 2. Get Equipped – Skills, Process, Tools… Team 3. Know Your Boundaries – Roles and Responsibilities Connect 4. Get Connected – Develop a Network Reflect 5. Move ahead - Celebrate Success and Learn from Failures 17
Conclusion • Though the Tech Industry is moving very fast the development principles remain the same • Switching to a new project needs a fresh start every time • Continuous learning is the key to keeping up with the pace of the Tech Industry 18
Thank You 20
10 Things You Must Give Up to Move Forward. ... If you want to fly and move on to better things, ... It’s all about finding and pursuing your passion.
If you want to make out the right way, then you have to know how to sustain your passion, mix ... or wrap your legs around your partner or move your hips ...
... and pretty soon everybody around will catch the passion ... If you think your passion or ... "Is this something I really enjoy doing and can sustain?
Further From Your Passion. While a lateral move might make the most sense ... He's often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the ...
pas·sion (păsh′ən) n. 1. a. Strong or powerful emotion: a crime of passion. b. A powerful emotion, such as anger or joy: a spirit governed by intense ...
MOVE! is a national weight management program designed by the VA National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (NCP), a part of the Office of ...
Reasons to Let Go and Move On. ... have to start compromising your happiness and your potential for the people around you, ... ahead and forge toward ...
This article provides you with some basic guidelines for both short-term and long-term career planning. ... for your next move. ... workshops around ...
What is Sustainable Development: There ... long term, responsible use of ... sustainable development dilemmas do you and your family ...
Go-Ahead... Latest news... See all news items. Connect with us. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Downloads. Full year results. Annual report. Sustainability ...