Published on March 10, 2016
1. MODIS -Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer- M.R.RIFAS AHAMED FACULTY OF GEOMATICS SABARAGAMUWA UNIVERSITY OF SRI LANKA
2. Some words about MODIS… MODIS (or Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) is a key instrument aboard the Terra (originally known as EOS AM-1) and Aqua (originally known as EOS PM-1) satellites. Terra's orbit around the Earth is timed so that it passes from north to south across the equator in the morning, while Aqua passes south to north over the equator in the afternoon. Terra MODIS and Aqua MODIS are viewing the entire Earth's surface every 1 to 2 days, acquiring data in 36 spectral bands, or groups of wavelengths.
3. Words cont… These data will improve our understanding of global dynamics and processes occurring on the land, in the oceans, and in the lower atmosphere. MODIS is playing a vital role in the development of validated, global, interactive Earth system models able to predict global change accurately enough to assist policy makers in making sound decisions concerning the protection of our environment.
4. Design of MODIS The MODIS instrument has been designed and developed since the Engineering Model (EM) was completed in mid-1995. Since then, two spaceflight units, the Protoflight Model (PFM) (aboard the Terra Satellite) , and the Flight Model 1 (FM1) (aboard the Aqua Satellite) have been completed and launched. Terra was launched on December 18, 1999, and Aqua was launched on May 4, 2002. The MODIS instruments — built to NASA specifications by Santa Barbara Remote Sensing — represent the finest in engineering of spaceflight hardware for remote sensing.
5. MODIS-Tera Launched on December 18, 1999 Terra’s five onboard instruments began science operations in February 2000. Terra’s goal is to assess the health of the planet by providing comprehensive information about Earth’s land, oceans and atmosphere.
6. Recent Images acquired by Tera Images of Wolf volcano on June 11, 2016.
7. MODIS-Aqua Launched on May 4, 2002, 09:54:58 Aqua (EOS PM-1) is a multi-national NASA scientific research satellite in orbit around the Earth, studying the precipitation, evaporation, and cycling of water. The name "Aqua" comes from the Latin word for water.
8. Recent Images acquired by Aqua Antarctic Berg Shifts, Sea Ice Responds Published on Wednesday March 02, 2016
9. Technical Specifications of MODIS Orbit: 705 km, 10:30 a.m. descending node (Terra) or 1:30 p.m. ascending node (Aqua), sun-synchronous, near-polar, circular Scan Rate: 20.3 rpm, cross track Swath Dimensions: 2330 km (cross track) by 10 km (along track at nadir) Telescope: 17.78 cm diam. off-axis, afocal (collimated), with intermediate field stop Size: 1.0 x 1.6 x 1.0 m
10. Specifications of MODIS Weight: 228.7 kg Power: 162.5 W (single orbit average) Data Rate: 10.6 Mbps (peak daytime); 6.1 Mbps (orbital average) Quantization: 12 bits Spatial Resolution: 250 m (bands 1-2), 500 m (bands 3-7), 1000 m (bands 8-36) Design Life: 6 years
11. Componants of MODIS
12. Image Format MODIS data from NASA/USGS are distributed in the Hierarchical Data Format (HDF-EOS). This format can be reprojected or converted into other formats such as GeoTiff, but in the past HDF-EOS has been notoriously difficult to work with. Recent versions of ArcGIS (e.g., version 9.3) can read the HDF-EOS format.
13. Spectral Bands and Wavelengths
14. Sensor of MODIS MODIS is in a sun-synchronous orbit meaning it crosses over any given latitude at the same time each day. It flies at an altitude of 705 km and covers the entire Earth in 1-2 days. It has a swath width of 2,330 km and 12-bit radiometric_resolution meaning it can distinguish radiation in 4096 different levels for each band.
15. Data Availability of MODIS MODIS products are available from several sources and usually free to the public. MODIS Level 1 and atmosphere products are available through the Level 1 and Atmospheric Archive and Distribution System ( LAADS). http://ladsweb.nascom.nasa.gov/ Level 1 products include raw radiance and calibrated radiance images. Raw digital number images are also available through order. All of the images in their archive are free of charge.
16. Availability of MODIS cont.. Level 2 and 3 Land Products are available through Nasa’s Warehouse Inventory Search Too (WIST) and the Land Processes Distributed Active Archive Center (LPDAAC) Data Pool at the U. S. Geological Survey EROS Data Center (EDC). https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/get_data Examples of level 2 and 3 products are land cover, leaf area index, surface temperature, and burned area. All products on a specific temporal schedule are archived and available free of charge to the general public. Detailed instructions on how to acquire MODIS data through the LPDAAC Data Pool are here: https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/public/get_data/ docs/DP_Tutorial.pdf.
17. Availability of MODIS cont.. Another source for MODIS data is the Global Land Cover Facility. http://www.landcover.org/data/modis/ They offer several vegetation products made from 16- day and 32-day composite images. The products come in a GeoTIFF format which can be easier to work with in a geographic information system.
18. Data Products of MODIS There are many standard MODIS data products that scientists are using to study global change. These products are being used by scientists from a variety of disciplines, including oceanography, biology, and atmospheric science. This section provides some detail for each product individually, introducing you to the products, explaining the science behind them, and alerting you to known areas of concern with the data products. Additional information about these products can be obtained by going to the appropriate URL's noted below. Select a data product below for a detailed overview of the product and links to product specific information.
19. Data Products MODIS Atmosphere Products MODIS Cryosphere Products MODIS Snow Cover MODIS Sea Ice and Ice Surface Temperature MODIS Cryosphere Products MODIS Cryosphere Products MODIS Snow Cover MODIS Sea Ice and Ice Surface Temperature
20. Products cont… MODIS Land Products MODIS Ocean Products MODIS Sea Surface Temperature MODIS Remote Sensing Reflectance MODIS Sub-surface Chlorophyll-a Concentration MODIS Diffuse Attenuation at 490 nm MODIS Particulate Organic Carbon MODIS Particulate Inorganic Carbon MODIS Fluorescence Line Height (FLH) MODIS Instantaneous Photosynthetically Available Radiation MODIS Daily Mean Photosynthetically Available Radiation
21. Products cont… MODIS Ocean Products MODIS Ocean Products MODIS Sea Surface Temperature MODIS Remote Sensing Reflectance MODIS Sub-surface Chlorophyll-a Concentration MODIS Diffuse Attenuation at 490 nm MODIS Particulate Organic Carbon MODIS Particulate Inorganic Carbon MODIS Fluorescence Line Height (FLH) MODIS Instantaneous Photosynthetically Available Radiation MODIS Daily Mean Photosynthetically Available Radiation Source:http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/dataprod/
22. Software/Hardware Requirements Java is required for viewing and selecting data in the LPDAAC Data Pool. MODIS images can be converted into GeoTiff format making is compatible with ESRI ArcGIS and other GIS platforms. The images can be manipulated and processed in remote sensing software packages such as ENVI and ERDAS Imagine.
23. Applications of MODIS MODIS satellite products to the air pollution research MODIS derived parameters for regional crop yield assessment A regional phenology model for detecting onset of greenness in temperate mixed forests, an application of MODIS leaf area index MODIS data to snow cover monitoring in a pastoral area MODIS satellite data in monitoring water quality
24. Application cont.. Spatial mapping of growing degree days MODIS- based surface temperatures and enhanced vegetation index MODIS/NDVI and MODIS EVI to extracting the information of cultivated land and comparison analysis MODIS-derived parameters for regional yield assessment MODIS data in monitoring suspended sediment MODIS detects a devastating algal bloom(eg : in Paracas Bay, Peru)
25. Thank You…
Data The MODIS Data section contains everything from ATBDs to Product Descriptions to Product ordering information, including from Direct Broadcast data ...
Modis is a leader among global IT staffing agencies. We provide tech staffing to companies and IT experts looking for new job opportunities.
Wilkommen bei MODIS. Wir freuen uns Sie auf unseren Seiten begrüßen zu dürfen. Hier möchten wir Sie über unser Geschäft und unsere aktuellen ...
MODIS (Moderate-resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) ist ein wissenschaftliches Instrument zur Messung elektromagnetischer Strahlung. Die Übersetzung des ...
Earthdata. Skip to main content. Home; About. About EOSDIS; ESDIS Project. ... Image captured on 12 September 2016 by the MODIS instrument, on board the ...
MODIS is playing a vital role in the development of validated, global, interactive Earth system models able to predict global change accurately ...
Rapid Response is the precursor to Worldview. Rapid Response has been providing global swath imagery from MODIS since 2001. Rapid Response MODIS ...
... Dennoch warfen Menschenrechtsorganisationen Modis Regierung vor, zu wenig gegen die Ausschreitungen getan zu haben. Modi trat zunächst zurück; ...
Modis is a global provider and leader in the IT staffing services industry. We work with temporary and permanent placements for companies of all sizes.
In unserem Wiesbadener Ladengeschäft finden Sie modische Abendkleider, Brautkleider, Schuhe und Accessoires.