Published on January 4, 2017
1. SU BM I TTED BY: SHUBHAM MONGIA (11509750) PRESENTATION ON Labour Unrest at Manesar Plant of Maruti Suzuki
2. INTRODUCTION ABOUT MARUTI SUZUKI Maruti Suzuki India Limited, formerly known as Maruti Udyog Limited, is an automobile manufacturer in India. Founded in 1981 Revenue: 58,612 crore (2016) Number of employees: 12,900 (2015) Slogan: Way of Life It is a subsidiary of Japanese automobile and motorcycle manufacturer Suzuki Motor Corporation. As of January 2016, it had a market share of 47% of the Indian passenger car market. The company is headquartered at New Delhi.
3. INTRODUCTION ABOUT MANESAR PLANT Day of strike : 18th July, 2012 Workers on strike : 2000 workers Place : Maruti Suzuki Factory at Manesar Loss : Rs. 6 billion Slow down of production
4. WORKERS DEMAND Five fold increase in salary Monthly conveyance allowance of Rs.10,000 Laundry allowance of Rs.3,000 Corporate gift with every new car launch A house for every worker Compensation and normal weekend/holidays Current four paid weeks of vacation be increased to 7 weeks. Increase in leaves
5. REASONS OF STRIKE Difference in salary pay. Harsh working conditions Focus on Hiring contract workers Wage disparities. Very less Hikes (2009-2012)
6. Cont…. Trust issues Communication Gap Lack of intelligence and information. Workers perception getting Negative
7. MANAGEMENT REACTION Sealed the gates and placed a row of security guards. 500 workers were dismissed. Government passed it as an illegal strike. Announced Lockout No pay During Lockout Change in Policy
8. Cont….. De-recognize Maruti Suzuki Worker’s Union. Plant Re-opening Managing Directors apology.
9. WHAT MARUTI COULD HAVE DONE Demonstration of the policy Promoting the improved condition Fresh recruitment of permanent workers Employee Labour Relationship should have been maintained “Good Conduct Bond” Retention of Employees
10. CONCLUSION Regular Meetings Demand of new union can be fulfilled if the union is not politically influenced. Management’s Approach Treat workers in the factory as humans. Grievance Redressal committee should be set up.
11. Thank You