Published on December 3, 2016
1. Marriage & Better Days How Do We Make It Through The Hard Times?
2. Scripture References Genesis 29:30-31 Genesis 49:31-33 Philippians 2:12-13 Acts 9:4-5 Philippians 2:12-13 Ephesians 4:31-32 2 Timothy 2:3-5
3. Topic Overview Marriage and Conﬂict…In the beginning What do Better Days Look Like? Expectations of Marriage…The Silent Killer Better Days Delayed…Is that train ever coming? I’m tired of waiting! How do we get to our Better Days and what should I do while I wait? Marriages of the Bible…Question we must all ask of our marriages
4. Marriage and Conﬂict…In The Beginning Adam and Eve…the tree Abraham and Sarah…the outside child Jacob, Leah, and Rachael…the love Moses and Zipporah…instruction Job and wife…commitment to God Lot and wife…change Hosea and Gomer…faithfulness Ahasuerus and Vashti…obedience David and many…???
5. What Do Better Days Look Like? Right individual relationship with God Collective relationship with God Transparency with God and each other Right relationship with each other…intimacy and friendship
6. Expectations of Marriage… The Silent Killer What did you really hope to get from marriage when you started out? Many of our original expectations of marriage/spouse are/were external, because we were often taught to look for what we wanted, but not taught what we needed. False or unrealistic expectations of marriage, our spouses and our role probably singlehandedly kills more marriages than anything else or at least needs to the things that bring about marital demise Examples of Expectations (Did you talk about it?) Loyalty & Commitment…how does that look Family size…1 kid, 3 kids, no kids… Bedroom activity…frequency…how…etc… Household duties…roles and participation Financial stability…deﬁnition, price and cost
7. Better Days Delayed…Is That Train Ever Coming? I’m Tired of Waiting! Better Days in marriage seem to be delayed for many and the reasons are numerous. Everyone is looking for a solution, but the truth is there is no silver bullet. Regaining better days is like rebuilding bad credit…it didn't get there overnight and it's not going to get better overnight…It will take time, diligence and investment. The delay of Better Days should not mean the end of your marriage, but rather an indicator that something needs to be addressed.
8. How do we get to our Better Days and what should I do while I wait? Identify the location of your marriage Open the books…learn your spouse again Work on your part Make up your mind to ﬁght for your marriage Why am I ﬁghting? Am I committed to the sacriﬁce? What is our “together” God purpose? Why did I choose her/Why did she accept me? Communicate…talk and listen Master the 4 levels of communication…Out the house, In the house, and Within you. Be intentional, merciful, graceful, compassionate and endure
9. Marriages of the Bible…Questions We Must All Ask of Our Marriage Adam and Eve…Our oneness Abraham and Sarah…Our partnership Jacob, Leah and Rachael…Our love focus Moses and Zipporah…Our spiritual focus Job and wife…Our trouble focus Lot and wife…Our leadership focus Hosea and Gomer…Our emotional focus Ahasuerus and Vashti…Our community focus David and…ﬁll in the blank…at least 8 known wives…Our heart focus
10. About Us For more information about Marriage Refresh or to book an event…you can reach us at… Email: firstname.lastname@example.org FaceBook: www.facebook.com/marriagerefresh Website: www.marriagerefresh.net Twitter: @marriagerefresh Phone: 850-510-6445