Published on June 26, 2016
1. Bakery Trends and New Product Launches ASB Conference 2016 Rani Berry – MAURI anz Consumer Insights Manager
2. Agenda • Consumer Trends • Global Category Overview • New Product Launches in Bakery
3. Consumer Trends and examples of how companies & products are tapping into these trends
4. Consumer TrendsAuthenticity Being true to yourself and everyone around you. Health & Wellbeing More than obesity and diabetes this is about mental health and community health. Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything. Care Factor It’s not just about you. ‘Duel’ Value The Dual Economy - Cheap and smart, or audaciously expensive? Immersion The seeking of experiences and seemingly insatiable curiosity and desire to ‘dive in’.
5. Global Category Overview bakery spotlight
6. Global Cake and Donut and Bread Market The Bread Category was worth $196 billion Globally in 2015 Largest region is Western Europe valued at $67 billion Bread market value expected increase by 21% by 2020 CakeandDonut Cake and Pastries market worth $131 billion Globally in 2015 This sector is expected to show value improvement of 25% moving into 2020 Asia Pacific the most valuable region worth $43 billion Values are based on $ USD fixed exchange rates RSP BreadandFerments
7. New Product Development Bakery still remains on top in development in 2015, but the snack sector shows real promise. 0 5,000 10,000 15,000 20,000 25,000 30,000 35,000 40,000 45,000 50,000 Q1 2013Q2 2013Q3 2013Q4 2013Q1 2014Q2 2014Q3 2014Q4 2014Q1 2015Q2 2015Q3 2015Q4 2015 Side Dishes Sugar & Gum Confectionery Desserts & Ice Cream Chocolate Confectionery Meal & Meal Centers Processed Meat, Fish & Egg Products Dairy Sauces & Seasonings Snacks Bakery
8. 0 1,000 2,000 3,000 4,000 5,000 6,000 7,000 8,000 9,000 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 NumberofProductsLaunched Bread and Bread Products Bakery Ingredients and Mixes Cakes, Pastries and Sweet Goods Source: Mintel GNPD Database Cakes and Pastries remain the most active category and the number of launches in 2015 has risen 10.1% from 2014 New Product Launches Bakery Subcategories 2010-2015
9. 2015 Global ‘on pack’ Claims Bread, Cakes and Mixes 0 500 1,000 1,500 2,000 2,500 3,000 Noofproductslaunched 2013 2014 2015 Source: Mintel GNPD Database Social Media inclusions have once again seen strong growth, and ethical packaging is also becoming a more widely used claim for baked goods.
10. Translating these consumer trends into new product launches in bakery
11. Authenticity Dave’s Killer Bread USA White Bread Done Right Recently launched to market is Dave’s Killer Bread titled, White Bread Done Right™ Their take on white bread is an artisan ‘style’ loaf with five super grains, 10 grams of whole grains and no artificial ‘anything’ on the label. The aim of all bread manufacturers is to get consumers eating more bread, and as white remains a predominantly favourite choice for many, this product displays exactly what can be done to modernise the humble white loaf.
12. Health & Wellbeing Magic Bullet Bread Fewer calories per slice • Schmidt Old Tyme 647 is an innovative new bread line that is being sold as a healthier bread alternative. • It is claimed the ‘magic bullet’ bread • The product contains only 6 net carbs, 40 calories, 7 grams of fiber per slice. • This product will appeal to consumers wanting to try something new but without being labelled as a diet product. • The range is simple but includes three key varieties Wheat; White; Wheat with Honey
13. Vitamin D Bread - UK Marks and Spencer’s have been reformulating Vitamin D is a key topic within the baking sector currently. Marks and Spencer's in the UK have taken a bold move to introduce and actively market a range of breads containing yeast that has been exposed to UV light, naturally raising the vitamin D content. It is claimed that two slices of the bread will provide a minimum of 15% of the daily requirement of vitamin D. Health & Wellbeing
14. Health & Wellbeing Probiotic Muffin Mixes Source: http://www.flapjacked.com/collections/mighty-muffins • Flapjacked is a new range of both pancake and muffin mixes, that are quick and easy to eat on the go in portable containers. • The range began when the creators needed quick and filling breakfasts to feed their expanding family, and high protein foods to keep them full were the answer. • The products quickly evolved and now the microwavable mixes include probiotics plus 20g protein per serving to ensure they are not only convenient but also supportive of functional and health driven lifestyles. • The range has just this month been extended to include some new flavour varieties of Peanut Butter and Pumpkin!
15. Pronuts Source: • Pronuts are exactly as they sound – protein donuts! • Originating in Australia they are made with zucchini, whole eggs, whey protein isolate, organic coconut flour, and natural flavours. • Pronuts are gluten-free, have no added sugar and are targeted towards consumers enjoying a healthy lifestyle. • Standard flavours are all less than 80 calories, and contain 7 - 8 grams of protein, plus they have less than 1.5 grams of carbs making them a guilt free snack. • Flavours include, cookies and cream, vanilla, matcha green tea, strawberries and cream and finally notella. http://www.pronuts.com.au and http://www.standard.co.uk Health & Wellbeing
16. Bread Bowls - Italy • Cristino Bread Bowls® are a new product developed for the Italian market. • The bread bowls are hand-produced with the intent of preserving the quality and enhancing the authenticity of every ingredient. • The concept is to allow the flavour of the consumers favourite dishes to blend with the traditional flavour of homemade Italian bread. Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything
17. Churros bowls Trdelniks Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything.
18. Weirdoughs take Donuts to another new level • Last year Tesco in the UK launched their savoury flavoured range of mini snack donuts. • In 2015 they have expanded this category further by taking inspiration from many sweet producers. • Each donut is coloured and flavoured with fruit – however the twist is that the colour does not represent the flavour of the product, they look like one thing and taste like another! Mixed up to confuse the senses! Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything
19. Popbar PopBun • Popbar is a popular and upmarket shop in New York selling Gelato products on a stick. • Their latest creation is known as the PopBun. • The product is similar to that of an ice cream sandwich, which consists of a soft warm roll filled with chocolate and vanilla gelato. • The product is customisable to suit consumers tastes and flavours such as chocolate mint, hazelnut, pumpkin pie and peanut butter Source: http://www.pop-bar.com/ A modern take on an ice cream sandwich Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything
20. Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything Croissant+Donut=Cronut Donut+Muffin=Duffin The Biskie = Biscuit + Cake + Cookie Croissant+Muffin=Cruffin
21. Crème Egg Burger • This is a limited edition burger that was created for Easter 2015 • The ‘burger’ features a melted down Cadburys Crème Egg in the shape of a burger pattie, with strawberry jam representing a ketchup substitute. • Sweet brioche buns dipped in white chocolate and mascarpone mayonnaise complete the creation. • Studio Kitchen in the UK were offering this tasty treat as part of their ‘Spring Rocks’ Afternoon Tea menu. A popular treat transformed…… Source: http://www.dailymail.com Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything
22. Smoked Flour – Chef Tommy Prosser Blog – Australia Creating smoked sourdough • The author of this blog has teamed up with Textbook Patisserie to create something special. • By using smoked flour and a simple traditional sourdough bread recipe these guys have developed a smoked sourdough bread that Textbook sell as a weekend special item from their shop. Source: http://www.textbookpatisserie.com.au/ Blur, Morph, & Fragment The evolution, merging, and niching of everything
23. Creating Beer from Bread - Belgium Designed to prevent wastage • Food wastage is a major issue globally. • Manufacturers are always seeking out new ways to innovate with redundant product. • This is a novel idea (which is really about beer), Babylone is a beer company who use fermented bread within their beer. • 500 kg of unsold bread is used to produce 4,000 litters of beer Care Factor It’s not just about you.
24. Mini Packs of Flour – France Designed to prevent wastage • Mini packs of flour have been launched into Supermarkets by The Mill Decollogne. • These packs have been described as convenient for consumers and are handy small sized 100g sachets designed for single use. • Recipes are also provided which ensures consumers will get the maximum usage out of the product. • Convenience is the key driver here and suits consumers fast paced lives. Care Factor It’s not just about you.
25. Immersion The seeking of experiences and seemingly insatiable curiosity and desire to ‘dive in’.
26. 3D Printing for Cakes Aimed at Artisanal Bakers • Start-up company Structur3d has created a kit for artisanal bakers to help enable them design fine cakes decorations on a small scale. • The kit helps to create intricate designs in a simple way. • Product design is an important factor for the food industry and anything that can help to differentiate items or to provide USP’s is key. Immersion The seeking of experiences and seemingly insatiable curiosity and desire to ‘dive in’.
27. Immersion The seeking of experiences and seemingly insatiable curiosity and desire to ‘dive in’. Donut Time