Published on October 23, 2014
1. Making sense of social media analytics Maggie McGary @maggielmcg
2. Do you do social media reports for your association each month? eventmobi.com/nesaetech14
3. What we’re going to cover: • Why social media analytics are important • How they can be challenging for associations • Tools for measuring social media • Overview of social media analytics • Q &A
4. Why Measure Social Media? • Data-driven is the new reality Infographic source: Domo
5. Even if you can’t measure all that data, measuring your own actions can: • Justify staff—current and future • Justify budget—or make a case for investment • Help show tie-in between social and other activities • Answer is what we’re doing working? If not, how can we improve? • Reveal when what had previously been working has changed
6. Start With Strategy…. (but which strategy?!)
7. Map Goals to Metrics • Web strategy goal: drive web traffic – Google analytics, click-throughs, social shares • Membership goal: increase membership/retention – CRM, engagement, campaigns • Meetings goal: increase attendance at events – Hashtag use, Instagram, mentions, screenshots • Product sales: Increase revenue from CE products – Campaigns, conversions
8. Tools: Free vs. Paid • Free tools – Cyfe – Hootsuite – Native platform analytics (GA, Twitter, FB, LI) – Excel/”bootleg Excel dashboard” • Paid tools – Simply Measured – Radian6 – Sprout Social
13. Google Analytics
14. If you only read one thing:
15. Resources (http://bit.ly/analyticsresources) • Measuring the Networked Nonprofit (book) • Katie Paine’s Measurement blog • Measuring the ROI of social media (video/blog post) • Which Stats Matter: The Definitive Guide to Tracking Social Media Metrics • Leader Networks Engagement Score for Private Online Communities • 5 Tips for Using Your Private Online Community Data to Make Better Decisions • How to calculate the value of your social media campaign • Annielytics--great information and training on analytics and dashboard creation
16. Thank You!
17. Maggie McGary Senior Associate Strategic Communications Group @maggielmcg on Twitter firstname.lastname@example.org
Small deck used during Use Case roundtable at JiveWorld 2014. On each on the 14 ta...
This 30 minute presentation was given at the 2014 Rochester Young Professionals En...
This guide to social analytics provides a starting point for anyone interested in using social media more effectively.
This post was originally published on Medium. Making Sense of Engagement Editors, Social Metrics and Analytics Over the last few years, journalism has seen ...
Social Media Analytics: Using Data to Understand Public Conversations ... and start making sense of social media. Welcome to Social Media Analytics: ...
Home; Research. Social Media Lab Visiting Scholar Program; Social Media Analytics. Netlytic – Social Networks & Text Analyzer; Sharing Biodiversity ...
In the world of social media, the audience is no longer a passive respondent of research but plays an active role in the debate. TNS opinion is leading the ...
At a valuation of $200M, Socialbakers is Jan Rezab’s second company; he started his first, mobile-games business, Redboss, at age 14. His Prague-based ...
Making Sense of Social Media Analytics Maggie McGary. The question a boss would really rather not hear Paul Downs. How the Olympic opening ceremony offered ...
Yedup - Making Sense of Social Media. ... We are working with global social media partners to deliver the next generation of real-time firehose analytics ...
Lindy Dreyer is a digital strategist for ICF Interactive. Maddie Grant is a culture change consultant at Work XO. We are authors and speakers on social and ...
Google Analytics for mobile apps Measuring web and app? Learn how to measure across your digital properties in ...