Published on October 15, 2014
1. Bowie State University October 15, 2014 Tom Hood, CPA, CITP, CGMA Rebekah Brown, CPA
2. MACPA.CNF.IO! ! Select the session: The Shift Change for Students Respond to a Poll Ask a Question
3. Download today’s slides at … www.SlideShare.net/thoodcpa
4. Insights to Ac,on “One without the other is either useless or destruc,ve” T
5. Tom Hood, CPA, CITP, CGMA! Tom Hood, CPA, CITP, CGMA CEO MACPA www.macpa.org Business Learning Institute (BLI) www.blionline.org! Tom Hood makes every CPA kinda wish they were licensed in Maryland – Greg Kyte, CPA, Utah and Accounting Today Top 100 Influencer • Named the fourth Most Influential in Accounting by Accounting Today Magazine 2014 • Linked-In Top 150 Influencer • Top 25 Influencers in Learning & HR by HR Examiner • Top 25 Thought Leaders in Public Accounting by CPA Practice Adviser • Working on Learning Management with AICPA/ CPA2Biz, Cloud Curriculum, Performance Management ! http://www.linkedin.com/in/tomhood!
6. “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do what you do.” -‐ Simon Sinek
7. Why MACPA? 7
8. The Future
10. In 1997, the CPA profession crowd-‐sourced its future with over 3,500 CPAs in the CPA Vision Project That was re-‐validated in 2011 by 8,000+ CPAs Our core purpose, our reason for being is CPAs... Making sense of a changing and complex world. Here is what they said…
11. The DNA of the CPA Values & Competencies • Leadership • Communica,on • Strategic Thinking • Collabora,on & Synthesis • Technologically Savvy
12. Our Vision Statement for the future is: ( mandates to ourselves for a successful future) CPAs are the trusted professionals who enable people and organizations to shape their future. Combining insight with integrity, CPAs deliver value by: • Communica,ng the total picture with clarity and objec,vity, • Transla,ng complex informa,on into cri,cal knowledge, • An,cipa,ng and crea,ng opportuni,es, and • Designing pathways that transform vision into reality.
13. CPAs are trusted advisors who, combining insight with integrity deliver value by: T Communica)ng the total picture with clarity and objec,vity Transla)ng complex informa,on into cri,cal knowledge An)cipa)ng and crea,ng opportuni,es Turning insights into ac)on to transform vision into reality
14. Current State! The Shift Change!
15. Dealing with the Shift Change – MACPA Young Professionals
16. The Next Gen CPA Leaders… 1. are proactive, flexible, adaptive and collaborative by nature; 2. have regained the trust of their clients and the public at large; 3. have successfully bridged the profession’s “leadership gap” by focusing on succession planning, personal growth, and generational cooperation; 4. have created the profession’s premier global industry standards and best practices; 5. have redefined the profession through work / life integration, collaboration, and a team-first approach; and 6. have earned a reputation as technological innovators.
17. The CPA Career
18. Rebekah Brown, CPA Manager, Membership Development & Engagement Maryland Associa)on of CPAs Business Learning Ins)tute (443) 632-‐2320 E-‐mail Rebekah@macpa.org Web www.macpa.org www.blionline.org Blog CPA Success TwiRer @RJBrownCPA LinkedIn Rebekah Brown, CPA Slideshare slideshare.net/rjbrowncpa
19. Expects a 16% growth rate in accounting & auditing jobs from 2012 to 2022
21. CPA credential in high demand! CFOs who are CPAs Source: Wall Street Journal, 8/13/13 25% 38% 40 35 30 25 20 15 10 5 0 2006 2013 Robert Half 2014 Salary Guide Employers: Most desired credential Solid salary growth Entry-level demand also strong
22. The The CPA Brand
23. You know you have a killer brand when… Your customer tattoos it on their body
24. A profession has three major aYributes • A dis,nct and evolving body of knowledge • A commitment to the public interest – licensed by the government • A code of conduct and ethics State of Maryland CPA License
25. A useful framework to understand the CPA profession! The CPA profession is part of the bigger infrastructure that supports the US free market system. Like the pipes under urban streets, it is often invisible until it breaks.
26. Our infrastructure for regulating the US financial markets has been created from a series of reactions to crises and changes and is in need of repair. Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Single audits Protection Act Financial Regulatory Reform Audit quality Sarbanes-Oxley Act
27. Information Overload “You have to understand accounting and you have to understand the nuances of accounting. It’s the language of business and it’s an imperfect language...” Warren Buffett
28. Becoming a CPA in Maryland The four E’s 1. Education – (150 hours) Bachelor’s degree + 30 credit hours 2. Examination – Pass the Uniform CPA Exam 3. Ethics – Maryland requires a separate ethics course and examination 4. Experience – 1 year of experience working with a CPA And CPE – - 80 hours of Continuing Professional Education reported every two (2) years, including four (4) hours of ethics training
29. The CPA Exam Start early Don’t give up! Plan Suffer together
30. The Career Path Lombard Street, San Francisco http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/597/cache/lombard-street-san-francisco_59769_990x742.jpg
31. Connect & Collaborate!
32. Maryland Associa)on of CPAs Business Learning Ins)tute Web hRp://www.macpa.org Blog hRp://www.cpasuccess.com
Student Recruitment; Volunteering Opportunities; Protect. Advocating for you as a CPA. ... CONTACT MACPA. MACPA; 901 Dulaney Valley Road Suite 800 Towson ...
U.S. Edition + U.S . International. Arabic ... says CNN meteorologist ... increase of more than 2 degrees Celsius in October 2014 compared to ...
Computers in Human Behavior ... (October 2014) < Previous vol/iss; Next vol/iss > ... PIU scale was used to explore Internet addiction among students. ...
The 183nd Munich Oktoberfest from 17 September to 03 October 2016 Topics. Startseite; Oktoberfest 2016. ... With this year's Oktoberfest over, ...
Join us from October 19th to 23rd 2016 in Frankfurt/Germany. ... There are many reasons to visit the Frankfurt Book Fair ... Since 2014, creative ...
Monster High (web series) ... October 2, 2014: ... 2014: Meet Monster Exchange student and Abbey Bominable’s cousin Marisol Coxi™, ...
Blue Ocean Ideas, Towson, MD. 3,474 ... MACPA Student FAQ event this morning from Blue ... Revisiting 2014 work while doing some file management and found ...
Cityvision, Roma. 5,432 likes ... October 24, 2014 · ... Floating Pavilion on Lake Zurich for Manifesta 11 by talented Swiss students with ETH Studio Emerson.