Published on September 15, 2015
1. How to Lose the Baby Weight 3 Points to Focus On By: Dr. Peter McIlveen, MD, MBA, FACOG
2. As we know, getting the weight off soon after pregnancy is critical. It sets the tone for your own health AND sets an example for your child.
3. When we say soon, what does that mean?
4. A year is a healthy amount of time to lose the baby weight. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Your priority is your new child. But becoming a healthy role model is your next priority.
5. So now, what to focus on?
6. 1. Move it! Start moving right away! 10-20 minute strolls/walks are a great way to start moving. Give yourself 6 weeks of short strolls until the exercise can begin.
7. Motion will also help quell the stress of taking care of a new screaming, pooping life.
8. Kristen Horler founded Baby Boot Camp and has comprised a 26 minute workout for new moms. You won’t need a babysitter for this either. This is her scale of rate of perceived exertion: 1. No effort 2. Light effort 3. Vey easy/comfortable 4. Light to moderate effort 5. Moderate to strong effort (you’re aware of your breathing) 6. Strong effort (you can’t comfortably carry on a conversation) 7. Very strong effort (you can only talk in short sentences) 8. Challenging (you can’t utter more than a phrase at a time) 9. Unable to talk (you only keep up this intensity for very short spurts) 10. Maxed out (lightheaded)
9. Beginner: The Crawl • Warm up: (5 min) walk at a moderate pace, keep your shoulders back, keep your stroller 6-10 inches from your hips • First 30 sec: walk at a challenging pace, RPE of 5 or 6 • Next 60 sec: walk a slower pace, RPE of 4 or 5 • Alternate these 12 times, totally to 18 minutes • Cool down: (3 min) walk easy, RPE of 2
10. Moderate: The Cruiser • When you feel like you are not being challenged anymore, increase steps 1 and 2 to 45 and 90 seconds, respectively. • This will also increase workout time by 9 minutes! Don’t forget to warm up and cool down.
11. Advanced: Full-on Toddling • Usually after 4-6 weeks, you’ll be ready to increase intensity rather than just time. • Make sure not to increase duration, frequency, and intensity all at once! Increase one at a time until you are comfortable.
12. Important Tip • Make sure when your child is 0-6 months, use a stroller that reclines fully so the baby can lie ﬂat. Infants do not develop good head/neck control until 6 months. • Maybe even get a joggers stroller!
13. 2. Eat Smart • Even if you’re not nursing, you still need energy for your baby and yourself. If you are nursing, what you eat affects your baby. • If you eat broccoli, the baby is more likely to enjoy it. • Eat foods that energize you rather than make you feel sluggish.
14. Foods with carbs and sugar make your blood sugar spike, giving you energy at ﬁrst, and then crash, making you feel hungrier sooner. Eat foods that are packed with nutrients, lean protein and healthy fats.
15. 3. Free Your Mind Stress can build up and cause fatigue, irritability and weight retention or even weight gain. Stress can make you crave fatty, sweet, salty, crunchy foods. How can you decrease stress?
16. 1. Sleep when the Baby Sleeps Have someone else do the dishes and laundry or any other tasks you would do. Sleep is crucial to reseting your body.
17. 2. The Rubdown If you can’t make it to a spa, ask your partner to give you a massage. Studies show that adults who receive a deep-tissue massage experience signiﬁcantly lower levels of the stress hormone.
18. 3. Go Outside Bring baby playtime outdoors! Spending time outside actually increases happiness and decreases stress!
19. 4. 6 min. of “me time” Research has found that even 6 minutes of reading can calm frazzled nerves and reduce stress by 68% Read, listen to music, play music, make yourself a cup of tea and drink it alone - whatever you need to do for just YOU, do it.
20. Dr. Peter McIlveen Dr. McIlveen is an Ob/Gyn and recently received his certiﬁcation in Obesity Medicine after realizing the health problems associated with women who do not lose the weight soon after pregnancy. Dr. McIlveen prides himself on listening to his patients and received the Patients’ Choice Award in 2013. Learn more here: http://drpetermcilveen.net http://drpetermcilveen.org
Learn how to lose weight after pregnancy; weight loss for women is easier with the correct weight loss diet and exercise. The staff at lose baby weight are ...
WebMD offers advice and expert insight about how to lose baby weight the healthy way.
From the moment the baby weight starts to accumulate on our bodies, the scheming begins about how to drop the pounds once the little one arrives.
Get your pre-baby body back with these postpartum exercise plans and workout videos. Bonus: Try our quick, healthy eating plan designed to give you the ...
Lose The Baby Weight - http://www.CalorieConfusion.com Watch this video if you want to learn more detailed information about how to lose the ...
No matter how much pregnancy weight you lose initially (many moms find the pounds melt off from breastfeeding and other post-delivery hormonal shifts that ...
You should plan to return to your pre-pregnancy weight by 6 to 12 months after delivery. Most women lose half of their baby weight by 6 weeks ...
Not a 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge member yet? What are you waiting for? Click here for more details on how to get your awesome discount. Used by thousands ...
Easy ways to lose the baby weight and get back in shape.
If, on the other hand, you were overweight before your pregnancy or you put on more weight than your doctor advised, it could take much longer -- up to a ...