Published on March 9, 2014
Looking back at my preliminary task I have made a vast improvement in placing the text where it belongs. As you can see the text is all over my main image which is unattractive to the audience as they would like to see the main image properly as well as the text (cover lines). You can also see that I have kept my font the same throughout the front cover. I haven’t done this on my preliminary task which shows that I did learn to stick to one type of font rather than a lot. As for the main image on my real front cover I have kept it exemplary to the rule of thirds which I haven’t done on my preliminary task. There is also my masthead which is by far the element that stands out from everything else. This is important as I am attempting to attract my audience, however on my preliminary task the masthead is just plain and unattractive for my audience. Adobe Photoshop also allowed my to edit my image which I haven’t done for my preliminary task. This has helped me to make certain elements stand out to my audience which again is very important. This is another thing I have learnt from this whole process.
Looking back at my preliminary task I have observed the difference in the masthead. The masthead on my preliminary task is out of order due to it’s colour as it has no relationship with the rest of the contents page, however on my real contents page the masthead and it’s colour are all related to the rest of the contents page. Keeping a consistent colour scheme to your magazine is very vital as you would not like to see completely different colours on the next page you go to. I did not follow this on my preliminary task which shows that I have learnt how to manage my colour choice. On my preliminary task you can barely see the text which is really bad as the audience has to completely see what is written there, however on my real contents page I have made every single word visible to my audience so that they can read it without any problems. This is another thing I have learnt throughout the production of my magazine. There is also the fact that I have more text on my real contents page than on my preliminary task which shows that I have more ideas than before. I have also added more pictures to my real contents page as it is essential for me to follow my sub-genre hip hop and the audience liking. What I basically mean with this is that hip hop magazines require to have pictures on nearly every page on their magazines. I have learnt this throughout my research process which allowed to take ideas for my magazine.
The fact that I didn’t even have a double page spread on my preliminary task shows that I have learnt a lot during the production of my magazine. On the left side of my double page spread you have the image of the actor and the Quotes of the actor. You also have the ‘LRT’ title abbreviated for ‘Lucrative’ on top of the left side of the double page spread and the right page top left side. I have learnt that abbreviating your title is much easier than having to put a big title on every page. This knowledge was gained throughout the research process as I have looked at various hip hop magazine and I have come to a conclusion that abbreviated titles are used in most magazines. I have also learnt that there is a image of the main star of the magazine in the double page spread. This person is the main star of the magazine as he is featured on the front cover and throughout the magazine. I have also learnt this throughout my research process. On the right page of the double page spread you have the article of the actor. As you can see this article is a question and answer type where the actor is questioned and then he simply answers the given question. You also have another picture of the actor on the top right hand side which I also learnt from a magazine called ‘Vibe’. This gives the audience an iconic feel to the main actor as he is inspirationally posing.