Lois Webster Life Story

50 %
50 %
Information about Lois Webster Life Story

Published on May 27, 2014

Author: LouiseZoBell

Source: slideshare.net


The Life Story of Lois Cahoon Webster

My earthly life began on twentieth day of September, 1924. I was the seventh child born to Leslie Casson Cahoon and Mary Leavitt Cahoon. I have jokingly said I came along with my own personal bodyguard – my twin brother Lawrence who was born twenty minutes before me. We were the first twins born in the old Cardston hospital. We were also the first of my parent’s children to be born in the covenant. The Cardston temple was dedicated on August 26, 1923. My parents were endowed and sealed on August 22, 1924. I was amazed when I realized the sacrifice my mother must have made to do this when she was less than a month away from delivering twins. The only way they would have been able to get to Cardston was by horse and buggy. At that time, there were meetings prior to the temple sessions. This was followed by initiatory work and the temple session which at that time took about 3 hours. The sealings came after the session. My Beginnings

My older siblings had all been born at home with a midwife but my parents decided the rest of their children should be born at the hospital. Shortly before we were born my mother went to the doctor for a check-up. She had concluded her visit and was on the way out the door when she turned back and said to the doctor, “It’s twins, isn’t it?” The doctor was shocked and told her to come back and let him examine her again. When he agreed that she was indeed carrying twins my mother added, “Yes, and it is a boy and a girl; because no two boys and no two girls would fight the way these two do.” It wasn’t her size that gave away the fact that we were twins because, although I weighed about 6 lbs. 1 oz. and Lawrence weighed about 6 lbs. 3 oz., my sister Lila was 13 lbs. at birth. I was blessed by my Grandpa Leavitt on December 7th, 1924. My mother wanted to name my brother after Lawrence Leavitt who was a very good musician. She told the family to find some name for me that would sound nice. If my memory is right they decided I should be Lois, after Lois Matkin, although I don’t remember ever meeting her. My parents had been married in 1914. When Lawrence & I were born our family consisted of Lavar - age 9, Nada – age 8, Dewey – age 6, Irene – age 5, and Lila age 3. We lived in a small home out by Beazer. We were only a few months old when our home burned and we lost all our belonging. The fire started in the attic. In those days there were no chimneys. There was only a thin metal pipe that went up through the roof. Normally, Lavar and Dewey would have been sleeping in the attic, but, because Lavar was visiting my grandparents, Dewey was sleeping in the main part of the house. My mother woke up in the middle of the night and smelled smoke. She woke my father who opened the door to the attic only to find it engulfed in flames. They quickly got their children out of the house into the winter night. My sisters always folded their clothes at night and placed them on the treadle of the sewing machine. They were able to save their clothes and my father was able to reach through the pantry window and retrieve the gun and a box of shells. My parents must have been devastated. My father had just bought winter clothes for the family and now everything was gone. Although my sisters had one set of clothes each, the rest of us had only our night clothes. The Olsen family gave my brother Dewey some old clothes that were much too large for him. There was nothing else available, however, and he wore them all that winter and wrapped his feet in gunny sacks as he had no shoes.

My Grandparents After the house burned down we moved to Leavitt and my father built a home on the hill about a block south of the church. One of my earliest memories is Christmas at my grandparents’ home. I would have been about 3 years old and I remember that I spilled my milk. I started to cry and my Grandma Leavitt said, “Now, now, we don’t cry over spilled milk.” This is one of my only memories of my Grandmother as she died when I was only five years old. I do remember Irene and Lila and I walking over to see her when she was sick. Aunt Iva and Uncle Ralph were staying there to help care for Grandma. Aunt Iva told us that Grandma was too sick to see us and to go out and be sure we didn’t slam the screen door. I also remember the day she died. My mother was weeping and pacing the floor and I was very worried about her. I wanted to go to the funeral but I was not allowed to go because I was so young. Thomas Rowell Leavitt Mary Alice Shaw

My Leavitt grandparents came to southern Alberta with Grandpa’s father – Thomas Rowell Leavitt Sr. Great-grandpa Leavitt was a polygamist and when he was asked to come to Canada he first brought his youngest wife, thinking she would find it easier to deal with the rigors of frontier life. She, however, was very unhappy here so he took her back to Utah and brought his first wife. His second wife had died and so my great-grandma had been raising her own children as well as those of her dear friend. When she came to Canada they brought sixteen of their children with them. Only three married children remained behind. Among those that came were my Grandparents with my aunts and mother. Mother was only 4 years old when she came to Canada. Aunt Annie was 2 ½ and Aunt Elva was 1 year old. “Lee Creek Tonight” depicts the arrival of the Leavitt family in Southern Alberta My mother as a baby

My Grandpa Leavitt was a very kind and loving man. He was large of stature with dark hair and a bushy mustache. His eyes shone with the love he felt for me. The greatest desire in his life was to see his children and grandchildren become honest, honorable men and women, to have respect for their parents and an unquenchable love for God and His commandments. He had a knack of making everyone feel like they were very special to him. He always carried peppermints in his pocket to give to his grandchildren when they did something that pleased him. When I was about 3 years old my twin brother, Lawrence had done something that delighted Grandpa so he offered him a peppermint. Lawrence said “Please Grandpa, can I have one for Lois too?” Grandpa was thrilled with this. He said, “That’s my boy, Lawrence! Because you are looking out for your sister, I’ll give you two peppermints – and one for Lois too. It makes me happy that you are taking care of Lois. You keep it up!” Grandpa was a lover of good sportsmanship and fair play. He liked playing basketball and baseball and he enjoyed hunting and fishing. He always scared up the birds so as to give them a fair chance. He was always among the first to arrive for a service project and was very active in community affairs. Grandpa was a very intelligent man and was very diligent in all his church assignments. He spent 12 years as a 2nd councilor in the bishopric with Bishop Frank Leavitt and another 13 years as the 2nd councilor to Bishop W.G. Smith. His loyalty to these positions, his wisdom in council and his love and consideration of others won him many friends. Grandpa loved music and was a member of the first Cardston Brass Band. The music I remember the most was when he would sit in his rocking chair and play the mouth organ. Grandpa had a black collie dog named Bruce and whenever he play the mouth organ old Bruce would sit up on his hind legs and sing or howl right along with the music. To me, Grandpa was my hero. I loved him so much. Some of the best memories of my childhood are of Christmases spent at Grandpa’s. He always had a “fishpond” with gifts for each of the grandchildren. We would also have a huge Christmas dinner and, as we almost never had enough to eat on a regular basis, we would eat so much we would be sick the next day.

My Cahoon Grandparents were also some of the early settlers in the Cardston area. My Grandfather Cahoon died before I was born. I did know my Grandmother Cahoon. When I was young I used to go to her house and help her with laundry and cleaning. Toward the end of her life she lived with my parents and they took care of her. After Grandma died, Grandpa spent ten long lonely years living only for his family and friends. Grandma was certainly the light of his life and he had a long wait before he could join her again. When Grandpa knew his time was short he said all he really wanted was to see his grandchildren again. We all came and one by one we went to see him. He lay in his big four poster bed in the front room that was now his bedroom. He made us all feel so special. Grandpa always said, “If I have ever done anything worthy of the Lord’s blessings, I pray He will just let me sleep away.” Grandpa had great faith and the Lord granted him his request. After he saw his grandchildren he was taken to the hospital. Although he was in the hospital almost a month, he simply slept away. Family members often asked the doctors if they were keeping him drugged so that he was always asleep, but the hospital staff assured them they weren’t giving him drugs of any kind. I loved my Grandpa deeply. I thought he was the one perfect person in my young life. My cousins Joyce, Fay, Gwen and I carried armfuls of flowers at his funeral. I felt like I was such a little girl at fifteen – far too young to lose my beloved Grandpa. He was a wonderful man and I still feel his influence in my life.

Childhood Memories One spring when I was about five or six Uncle John Redford was building a new house. Hugh and Gwen Redford and Lawrence and I decided we would go down there to play. They had a basement in and the sub-floor on. We looked down the basement through a window hole and saw a skunk down there. It had its head under a board and there wasn’t anyone around working on the house. The other three decided I should go down and tie a rope around its back leg; then they would pull it out and chop its head off with an axe. So I did. I have never figured out yet how I accomplished such a thing without choking to death. But I did and we did take it to the chopping clock and cut off its head. I think Mother smelled us coming a block away. She would not let us in the house and we had to bathe outside and then Mother buried our clothes. We couldn’t figure out why she was doing such a thing or why she was crying. We had so few clothes that I’m sure she must have been very upset with us. My Aunt Sadie was my mother’s sister. She was a wonderful person. One time when she was staying at Grandpa’s she told me that if I would come down she would make me a dress. I went to visit and she made me a beautiful dress and also gave me a pretty handkerchief. As I walked home through the fields I lost my hankie. The wind was blowing and I never did find it. I wept bitter tears over that. Lawrence and I stayed with Aunt Sadie when Golden was born and I remember standing by the table watching her make a cake. I must have been doing a lot of talking because she finally said, “Oh, Lois, can’t you be quiet for one minute?” I always told her afterwards that it was her fault I was such a quiet person.

Our family was very poor. We were often hungry because there was not very much to eat. Usually our meals would be potatoes and milk gravy. My favorite food was home-made ice cream and my least favorite food was cabbage. We had to carry water from the well over by the school for our drinking water. Later my dad put a cistern under the house for us to use for washing and cleaning. Our home was very small. We had two bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. My parents never owned a crib. They slept in a regular double bed and put the babies in with them – even when they had twins. I have often wondered how they ever slept, and how they managed without rolling on one of us. When Edward and Edwin were born I was put to sleep at the foot of the bed with my three older sisters. I would wake up in the night and they would have their legs all over me so I would wiggle and wiggle until I could get out and put my legs on top of theirs. But it seemed I always had legs on me. The only heat in the house was a wood stove. My brothers slept up in the attic in the summer and when it was too cold they slept in the living room.

My Parents – Leslie and Mary Cahoon My father was a truck driver. He hauled coal and fruit and anything else he could to get some money to feed and take care of is big family. He also tried a dozen other things hoping he would some how get rich. He was a hard worker. He was also generous, almost to a fault. He would have given anyone the shirt off his back if he thought they needed it worse than he did. He never put a lock on our home doors. He always said, “Trust everyone until you prove that you can’t.” My mother was an angel from heaven. She had ten children, 6 boys and 4 girls. She also had twin girls that died and several miscarriages. It took every minute she had to wash clothes on a scrub board and to feed us all and take care of her home. She also raised a large garden. My mother had great faith. She taught me to pray. I can never remember not praying. No one could ever ask for a more wonderful, loving mother.

Our clothes were generally made of flour sacks that were boiled and scrubbed and bleached in the sun. Sometimes they dyed them. We only had two sets of clothes; one for Sunday and one for school. Mother would rinse them out at night and we would wear them again the next day. Many families were in a similar situation but some families had more money. One spring my shoes were falling apart but I couldn’t stand the thought of going to school barefoot. One of the ladies from the town went to the school and said that something should be done about the children that were coming to school in rags. She thought they should have better clothes to be allowed to come to school. I loved my family dearly. These are some of the memories of my siblings. My oldest brother Lavar was tall and worked with Dad most of the time. I remember one time Aunt Edna cut my hair and she cut it short like a boy and Lavar was so mad about it. My sister Nada was like a second mother to me. I guess that is because she was the oldest girl. My sister Irene was wonderful but when I was young I used to think she was always bossing me around. My brother Dewey seemed to always be doing things that made my dad mad, and I couldn’t see what he was so mad about. My sister Lila was just older than I was and she was always very good at school and always watching out for me. My brother Lawrence and I were twins and whenever one of us would get sick the other one would too. Edwin and Edward were also twins. I always thought Edward and Lawrence were more alike and Edwin and I were more alike. Golden was my baby brother and I was always very close to him.

My mother’s health was never very good. One time she had a gall bladder attack that was so severe they thought she was dead. By the time the doctor came they had to hold a mirror over her mouth to see if they could detect any breathing. Grandpa came to administer to her. I remember standing out beside the south front door of our home up on the hill in Leavitt. I was crying and leaning my head against the wall and praying, “Dear, Lord, please let Mother live. I need her so badly. I’m too little to be without my mother.” And the dear Lord did hear a little girl’s prayer, because my mother, whom they thought was dead, got better and lived to see all of my children before she died at the age of 83 years.

I One August when I was about 8 years old my mother’s garden had at leas a dozen long rows of corn. It had been a good year for gardens and Mother and our family had worked hard and the corn was quite tall. This particular day Mother and Dad were away from home. My mother was not away from home very much unless it as to church meetings, but this day Mother had gone somewhere. My sister Irene was home with us children. She told me I had to do the dishes, and like most children, and even more adults, if we are told what we have to do and not asked we get a bit stubborn decide there is no way we going to do it. That day I decided I wasn’t going to be told what I had to do, so I ran outside, climbed the ladder on the side of the house into the attic, closed the door and hooked the inside latch before she could catch me. No matter what she said or how she threatened I would not come down. I waited and waited and when they seemed to have forgotten about me, I opened the door and peeked out. There was no one in sight so I left the door open and climbed down the ladder and ran to the garden and down into the tall rows of corn. There I sat down in the middle of the corn patch. It wasn’t long before they discovered the attic door was open and that I was gone. I guess they got worried and began looking all over for me. They called and called but couldn’t find me. The day was warm and I soon lay down among the rows of corn and fell asleep. I had come to the corn patch in the morning and when I woke up it was late afternoon. I heard mother calling so I ran to the house. They were all so relieved that I had been found that I didn’t get the scolding I should have had. When I realized how worried they had been I decided that that had not been a very nice thing to do and that I would never do it again.

My parents had so little money that we didn’t have much for Christmas. I do remember one year my brother Lavar rode his horse into town to pick up a parcel from Simpson Sears, so at least that year there must have been a gift or two. The real Christmas celebration was at my Grandpa Leavitt’s. He always had a fish pond with a small gift for everyone. We were always so excited for the fish pond to start. The Christmas dinners were extra special too because that was the only meal of the year that there was always enough to eat. I even remember being sick the next day because I had eaten too much! I remember one Christmas when some of us had the measles. It must have been when I was six because I had almost every communicable disease imaginable that year. That was such a terrible Christmas because we couldn’t go to Grandpa’s. Somehow after Grandpa died it was many years before Christmas was fun again.

Another early memory I have from when I was very small is when my sister Irene told me that I needed to take a chicken over to Uncle Leonard to have him chop its head off so we could pluck it and cook it for dinner. I did not want to do that but she kept insisting that I do it. She put the chicken right up to my face and of course the chicken started to caw and flap its wings. I went down like someone had hit me over the head with a sledge-hammer. I just passed out cold. And ever after that I was terrified of birds. My brothers soon discovered this and found a way to tease me. We had chickens that ran free around the yard. And of course we had an outhouse as well. My brothers got the roosters to chase me every time I went out to use the outhouse. One day I had gone to the outhouse and had got most of the way there before they saw me and came running after me with their wings flapping. I managed to get into the outhouse but then I couldn’t get out because every time I opened the door those darn roosters would be waiting there for me. I think I spent about three hours in there before someone else needed to use the outhouse and I had to come out. My mother thought I was very silly to be afraid of birds. When I was a little bit older we had a chicken coup across the field and I would help mother take feed over for the chickens. I would carry the feed over there but then I would leave and mother would feed the chickens. One day she had been scolding me about how silly and irrational this fear was, and how I needed to get over it, when I looked down and saw a little garter snake. I reached down and picked it up. I showed it to my mother and said, “Look what I have, Mother.” My mother was just terrified of snakes. She just about came unglued. “Oh you dirty thing,” she said. “Put that down right now!” “Now, Mother,” I said calmly, “You know it won’t hurt you. You really need to get over this.” She told me I had made my point but to put it down anyway. After that she didn’t ever try to get me to not be afraid of birds.

When we were young we always had fun walking up to the rock ridge west of Leavitt. It was about 2 miles and as we went we would pick buttercups and shooting stars. When we got to the ridge we generally could find Tiger Lilies. I guess I’ve always loved flowers ever since. One time Dewey, Irene, Lila, Edwin, Edward and Lawrence and I were all playing down by the road when a car stopped. The man asked if we were all members of the same family. Irene said, “Oh yes! They’re twins, and they’re twins, and we’re triplets.” (She and Lila and Dewey were about the same height at that time.) The man was so shocked he took the Lord’s name in vain, climbed back in his car and drove off. In the summer time we would walk over to Lee Creek about two miles away. One time there were several of us there and I got out over my head and I couldn’t swim. I went down twice before I was able to shout and ask for help. It was a close call as I nearly drowned.

I was baptized in the Cardston temple on November 22, 1932 by Heber W. Harker and confirmed by Samuel L. Baker Sr. At that time baptisms were done in the temple and my brother Lawrence and I along with our cousin Joan were among the children baptized. Joan was absolutely terrified of water and Aunt Ida had told her that if she made a fuss she would give her a good spanking when they got home. But, despite the threats, Joan started to howl the moment her toes touched the water. “Oh, Aunt Ida,” she cried, “You can spank me all you want but I’m not going in that water!” I don’t remember how they accomplished it, but I do know they eventually got her baptized.

Primary was held at the school. I remember the first time I went I hid behind my mother’s skirts and someone asked who the eyes were they could see behind her. My mother was the primary president. When I was a little older my Aunt Emma was my primary teacher.

Dad had a big truck (or at least it was big for our day) and used it to haul fruit from Creston. One time, when I was about eight or nine years old, he took a load of flour to Creston. Lavar went along to help drive and he took Lila, Irene and I along with him to help pick ripe tomatoes. On the way over he made us a bed on top of the flour under the big tarp. We picked our tomatoes and Dad stacked the wooden boxes in the truck along with the fruit he was taking. He started to prepare a place for us to sleep but then he said he didn’t feel right about it. They would be driving through the night and he was afraid that if something were to happen we would be hurt. So he filled the truck to the top with fruit and then left Lila in Creston while Irene and I rode in the cab with Dad and Lavar. When we came to Moyer Lake Dad told Lavar he was just too tired to drive around the edge of the lake so Lavar took over. It was about 3:30 am and the road was a small gravel road. There were ridges along the edge and often down the middle of the road. Lavar was so tired he decided he would straddle the gravel ridge so that it would wake him if he started to doze off. The problem was the ridge he was going to straddle was not in the middle of the road – it was on the edge. When Irene realized this she grabbed the steering and jerked it back. The truck flipped upside down into a deep ditch. Had we been riding in the back we would certainly have been killed. None of us were hurt but after we crawled out through the window the big jack that was caught between the brake and clutch pedals fell and smashed the window out. Dad said he knew I wasn’t really hurt because I was screaming too loud. Then, after we got the truck back onto its wheels there were ripe tomatoes smashed through everything. For me the most devastating part of the accident was the loss of my favorite dress. I had a beautiful little blue pleated skirt and bolero and a little pink blouse. I had them in a sack in the front of the truck. When we tipped over the battery acid leaked out and ate holes in them so I could never wear them again. I thought that was the prettiest outfit I had ever had and was really heartbroken over it. Amazingly enough we were able to get home again but for years afterward I was very nervous to ride in a car or truck.

One time when there was such a heavy wind that they thought the roof was going to blow off the school so they sent the children home. Irene had taken hold of my hand and we walked home. The fence in-between our home and the school had a style that went over it and we had a terrible time trying to get over the fence. Then, when we got to the lane on the North side of the house, we couldn’t turn in. The wind was too strong and it blew us down over the hill. There was an old decrepit car down under the hill so we crawled in it for a little shelter. Dad had seen us coming and so he came down over the hill to help us get back up to the house. My experiences with school did not start on a very good note. Our first year of school Lawrence and I got measles and mumps and whooping cough all in the same year. Our teacher was convinced that either Lawrence or I was lying because every time I got sick – Lawrence got sick. And every time Lawrence got sick then I got sick. One time after we returned after missing several days of instruction she got me up in front of the class to read. I stumbled all over the place and finally she said, “Oh, go and sit down, you dummy. Let some else read who can.” And so I was dubbed “the dummy” by the other kids in school for the rest of my school days. Toward the end of the school year I got a fly in my ears. It buzzed and buzzed until I thought I would go crazy. Finally Mother took me to the hospital and they operated to take the fly out. By that point we had missed so much school that Mother decided to just keep us home and start us again the next year. I didn’t ever enjoy school. I didn’t ever read quickly and I was the world’s worst speller. The only subjects I enjoyed were Social Studies and history. I did have a couple of good teachers, Bill and Ada Blackmore were both good teachers. We had a three room school. Grades 1 to 4 were in one class, grades 5 to 8 were in another classroom, and then grades 9 to11 were in the third room. Grade 12 was only offered in Cardston so very few students took Grade 12.

My Aunt May Hall was one of my favorite people. She was my dad’s older half sister and I often visited her. She was a sweetheart. One time she took about eight girls up to Waterton for a campout. People thought she was crazy to do such a thing but we sure had lots of fun hiking the trails in Waterton. I loved to play basketball. One time we had a tournament and our team of six girls was practicing during the noon-hour when I sprained my ankle. There was no such thing as tensor bandages so the teacher filled a sock with snow and wrapped it around my foot. I was really careful how I walked when I got home so I could go back and play my tournament. We won the first two games but one of the girls passed out from exhaustion in the second game which left only five of us to play the third game. We didn’t win but we sure gave it our all. The next morning when I got up my ankle was swollen terribly. My father was furious. He told me I was never allowed to play basketball again. My ankle has always been weak ever since. We also enjoyed playing softball. My closest friends when I was growing up were my Aunt Emma’s daughters Joyce & Faye Broadbent. I also played a lot with my cousin Beth. We played mostly active games, things like tag, softball and basketball. I don’t remember playing with dolls much. I do remember desperately wanting an Eaton Beauty Doll but they cost $1.00 and my folks couldn’t afford to buy one. I had a rag doll instead. A dollar was a lot of money in those days. A man would work a twelve or fourteen hours day for a dollar’s wage.

Our family enjoyed riding horses. Lawrence had a beautiful black horse that he had been breaking. My cousins Fay and Joyce and I wanted to go choke-cherries picking and I wanted to borrow his horse. He was very reluctant because he hadn’t finished breaking him. He finally agreed I could take him as long as I didn’t put a bucket on him. When I arrived at Aunt Emma’s to meet the other girls they handed me a bucket and without thinking I took it. The horse jumped sideways and I landed on the ground. I got back on without the bucket and we carried on. Well, from that point on, it was all I could do to control that horse. It pranced and danced all the way over and all the way back. Poor Lawrence could never get that horse past shying. It had been his pride and joy and I ruined it for him. Edward & Ginger Golden and his colt

When the war started it was hard on everyone. My brother Dewey served in the army. Lavar was excused from service because of health reasons. I was in grade nine when the war started. Many of the men were away and those left behind were often trying to help neighbors take care of their farms and animals. My dad and brothers were gone for long stretches at a time and I was responsible for carrying water to the pigs. We had about 100 pigs and I could only carry two buckets at a time. I carried water in the morning before school, at noon hour and in the evening. One time I discovered that one of the sows had stepped on one of her piglets and put a deep gash in its belly. We only had black thread at our house so I ran to Aunt Sadie’s and got white thread and a needle and sewed the poor little thing back up again. I was quite heartbroken when it died anyway. Dewey in uniform

The summer I was fifteen the mutual girls went over to Lee Creek, west of the Tire Hole, on a three day camp-out. There were about eighteen of us. Each girl took quilts and food but there were no tents. A couple of wagons took us over with all of our things and then went home. Edna Baker and Eva Wilson were our supervisors, but they were only about eighteen years old. After we had got settled for the night it began to rain and it really poured. We had an old tarp and we strung it up in the trees to try to keep the water off. We put all the quilts together and huddled under them together. We had about 4 or 5 quilts on top of us and about that many under us. When one quilt would get too wet we would crawl under another one. By about 4:30 am everything was soaking wet. After a lot of trouble we managed to get a fire going and had an early breakfast. That morning the sun came out and we spent most of the day drying clothes and quilts and eating. Then after a good night’s sleep we got up ready to have a really good day. About 10:00 am a wagon came to get Lavene Leavitt as her grandfather had had a heart attack and died the night before. So we all decided to go home. We had a wet time but we all thought it was great fun. For my first Green and Gold Ball when I was sixteen I got a beautiful new dress. I was so excited and thought it was so beautiful. I was all dressed up and I was coming down the stairs when I met Edward on his way up. He looked at me at said, “Hey, sis, you look like a chicken with its feather’s plucked off!” I was just devastated. I continued down the stairs where I met Edwin. “Oh, sis!” he said, “You look so beautiful!” That helped my hurt feelings considerably. Edwin was always such a kind, tender soul.

At the age of thirteen I received my patriarchal blessing at the hands of John F. Anderson. It has been a treasured blessing and a comfort to me throughout my life.

My sister Irene got married when I was fourteen and I spent that summer with her. They lived in Schuler, just outside of Medicine Hat. Her husband John worked the farm and had a crew for threshing. I helped Irene with the cooking and cleaning. Other people in the area asked Irene if I could come and help cook for their crews but Irene told them that I couldn’t cook. This wasn’t true - but she wanted my help and didn’t want me to go off and help someone else. One day she had to be away so I cooked. The men came in from the fields and put away their horses but didn’t come to the house. I waited and waited and when they still didn’t come in I went down to the barn to see what was holding them up. When I asked if they were coming to eat they were surprised and asked if Irene was home. “No,” I told them, “But dinner is ready.” They were shocked because they didn’t know that I could cook. John’s brother Chris Traxel was on the threshing crew and he loved to tease. I had washed the dishes and he knew I was going to take the dishwater out. He went outside, hid around the corner and jumped at me. In fright I threw the dirty dishwater all over him. He didn’t think that was very funny at all. Threshing Crew (Not one I worked on – but it gives you an idea.)

In my teens I worked during the summer. One summer I worked for the Blackmores. Orpha was having great difficulty with her nerves and had a new baby named Barclay. I would take care of the baby and take him to her to nurse. I worked for the Salts for a couple of summers. Shirley Salt was a farmer but he had to have white starched shirts to work in. I helped with the cooking, dishes, laundry, housework and children – whatever needed done. I didn’t earn a whole lot – maybe 30 dollars a month. I worked at the church ranch the fall after I was supposed to have gone back to school for Grade 11. But I only worked there about a month before I decided I was making a bad mistake. I returned home to go back to school. The summer after I finished school I worked in Waterton. That summer President J. Reuben Clark came to visit so he could dedicate the Hartley church. He asked if anyone could do something with his poor wrinkled shirt so that he would look presentable; so I ironed his shirt and suit. I only worked there for part of a summer. President Clark stayed at the place I was working. I can’t remember the names of the people who owned the place, I only know they were rich people. I never ate with them because I waited on the table. The lady always told me that their flatwear was pure silver. They kept it hidden in a vault under the basement floor. These people had a son who annoyed me immensely. He used to say, “Come here, little maid…. Do this, maid….. Do that, maid.” He never called me by my name he just said “maid”. So I decided I had had enough of that. I had saved a little money and decided I would go to beauty school.

Our 20th Birthday Above – With my Cake / Below – with Lawrence

Calgary Calgary I moved to Calgary and went to Beauty School. My course lasted 10 months. The school was on 8th Avenue and I lived at Mrs. Wyrick’s on 17th Avenue. It was during the war. Lila, Aunt Emma’s Faye, Uncle Math’s June and I all lived together in a basement apartment. We had a small kitchen and a room with two partitions. There were no rugs on the floor. One of the things I remember about that apartment was on New Year’s Eve. There had been a New Year’s dance and it lasted until about 1 am. June was going with Ned Olsen and he was in the forces. Ned was supposed to be back at the base before 2 am. They had been to the dance and then came back to our apartment. The problem is they fell asleep and didn’t wake up until 5:30 am. Mrs. Wyrick cleaned the school and they woke up when they heard her stirring. She was awake so Ned didn’t dare leave in case she saw him. She must have heard something because she came roaring down the stairs and said “Who’s here?” We heard her coming and Ned ran into the closet and shut the door and we just innocently said, “We’re here. Who did you expect?” The problem was one of the neighbors saw Ned leave and told Mrs. Wyrick, so after that she was always on our backs. We had another landlady like that as well. When I was working at Eatons I lived on 4th Avenue and Viola Olsen lived with me. The landlady’s husband worked late so we were not allowed to come in to the house or flush the toilet after midnight. I’m not sure why she thought we had someone there because we never did take boys to the apartment – but one night she came down in the middle of the night, turned on the light and yelled, “Who’s here?” It scared us right to death. After that we found a different place.

My Class from Beaton Beauty Academy (I am on the far left) In March of 1944, while I was still taking my course, I began working in the Scarborough Confectionary at night. I worked from 6:00 - 11:00 pm. It was a kind of corner store and I worked there until I finished school on July 12, 1944.

Hairstyles from the 1940’s

Calgary Gleaner Class, 1948 (I am 2nd from the left on the back row) Back then the young adults in the church were called M-Men and Gleaners. There were about fifty gleaners in our ward in Calgary and, because of the war, there were only about three M-Men. The church really was our main social outlet. Once a year we had a Green & Gold Ball. A lot of the young men were stationed at the Army Base in Calgary so they would be allowed to come. The Calgary Ward Choir (I am on the left, 2nd from the end on the 2nd row,)

Calgary Green and Gold Ball – 1948 (Above – I am standing just to the right of the window) (Below – I am winding a Maypole ribbon just to the left of center)

When I was a young adult we were still part of the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Society. The oldest class was called “Gleaners”. While I was living in Calgary I completed all the requirements to become a “Golden Gleaner”, the highest award a young woman could receive. I took a lot of time and effort but I was very pleased to earn it. The following is the letter I submitted outlining the requirements I fulfilled.

When I finished school I got a job at the T. Eaton Company. I used to do hair for the CEO’s wife. She was such a lovely person and was very kind. But a lot of women were totally unreasonable. One woman came in with a picture of a movie star with thick, beautiful hair and she wanted her hair styled the same way. The problem was that she had thin hair and there was no way I could make her hair look like that. We were scheduled to wash & set someone’s hair every half hour. One time I washed a ladies hair and it looked funny. There were little white dots all up the hair shaft. I went and got the supervisor and told her that this lady had something strange in her hair and asked her to come look at it. She looked and then told me to come back to the office with her. She confirmed the lady had lice. I asked my supervisor to please tell her because she was a really hoity-toity lady and I was afraid to tell her. Another woman I worked on was a doctor. I think from one week to the next she must have never combed her hair. When she came in we had to schedule an extra 15 minutes just to comb her hair before we could wash it. To top it all off she had an exceedingly tender head. She used to say to me, “You think doctors hurt you? You should see what I go through when I come here to see you people!” I would comb it as gently as I could and she would sit there and almost cry! There were all kinds of people.

One time the T. Eaton company went horseback riding for a social outing. When we got to the stables I said, “Don’t give me a dead-head! Give me something that has some life in it”. They asked if I was sure and so they gave me a spirited horse and I was doing fine until some smart-alec guy came up from behind and smacked my horse on the rear. Away we went – both his horse and mine. I wasn’t afraid of falling off but I was afraid the horse might step in a hole. It took us about a mile and a half to get those horses stopped. Recovering from my broken shoulder & collar bone Aunt Mae Hall Another time I went riding with Hazel Ritchie in Calgary. We had rented the horses for hour and we just on our way back to the stables when my horse stumbled and went down. Fortunately he didn’t roll on me but I did break my shoulder and collarbone. Hazel stopped some man and asked him to stay with me while she ran for help. He stayed but the whole time he kept saying, “Are you all right? Please don’t faint! Please don’t faint!” The injury was quite severe. They asked me at the hospital what doctor I wanted. The only doctor whose name I knew was a Dr. Townsend and he was a bone specialist. My collarbone was so badly out of place they put me in traction for three days with sandbags to try to pull the bone back into place. Finally the decided they would have to set it the best they could. T. Eaton Company sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers and the girls in the shop sent me a basket of fruit. I spent 10 days in the hospital and then Aunt Mae Hall came and took care of me for another week or so until I was able to take the bus home. That bus ride home seemed very long as I felt every bump along the way.

When the war ended we went to the celebration on VE day (Victory in Europe). There was a large open field and they had built a platform and had a program there. There were thousands of people come to it. We were about 100 feet away from the platform and there were so many people behind us. Everyone kept pushing to try to get closer to the front. I am claustrophobic to start with and it was terrible. It could have ended up being a tragedy. One lady at the front fainted and they couldn’t get her medical attention because people couldn’t move to let her out. In desperation they had to announce that if people didn’t move back the police were going to use tear-gas. Finally, the crowd dissipated so that people could move. Many people lost loved ones in the war. Several of the young men I grew up with were killed in Europe. My brother Dewey came safely home along with his wife Joyce who he met in England. In 1947 I went to Seattle and took a post graduate course in Harper scalp treatments and facials. While I was there I lived with my cousin Roma Walters. Then I returned to T. Eaton Company and worked for another year before deciding to serve a mission.

My Mission When I was twenty three I decided I wanted to serve a mission. Time was very short from the time I got my call until I had to be in the mission home in Salt Lake. I only had 16 days to get ready to go. I had not given notice at work so I had to work for a week and then get ready.

I had to get my shots as well. They didn’t have time to give me my shots each on separate days so the last day they gave me two at once. That was also the day that I went to the temple for the first time. My mother was too ill to go with me and my dad didn’t have a recommend at that time so went by myself. I don’t remember too much about the temple ceremony that day because I was feeling so miserable. My arm had swollen up and was so sore that every time I lifted it I wanted to scream. The next day, June 16, I left to travel to Salt Lake with the Andersons who happened to be going at that time. We went as far as Idaho Falls the first day and then on to Salt Lake the following day. I stayed with Uncle Os until it was time to go to the mission home. Uncle Os was my Aunt Annie’s husband who had died of cancer before that time. He was a very kind man. He took me to a concert at the tabernacle and to do some sight seeing in the area before I started my mission on June 21st.

After I got to Salt Lake I had to be interviewed by a General Authority. The man that interviewed me was Bruce R. McConkie. When I got to his office I was sure I had the wrong office. He looked much too young to be a General Authority. We were also set apart as missionaries in Salt Lake. There was a large group of missionaries and several General Authorities who were setting us apart. I recognized Elder Widstoe and I prayed that he would be the one to set me apart and he did. I was in Utah until July 5, 1948. There were no discussions to learn. We just had talks from General Authorities about missionary work.

My companion was Vernetta Hale. She was the daughter of the new mission president who was going to Samoa. She had been serving as a nurse on a navy vessel during the war and when her parents were called to serve in Samoa she decided she wanted to go with them as a missionary. The people in Salt Lake told President Hale that he could choose a companion for her but he declined and had the missionary committee choose someone. They chose well because we became very dear friends in our time together. We went to San Francisco on a train and then boarded the ship “The Marine Phoenix” which took us to Samoa. The ship was an old troop ship. The women were put in the hold and the men were up on deck. Almost as soon as we started I got seasick. There were no portholes in a large community sleeping rooms and no fans. We had to cross the equator and I was so hot and sick I decided very firmly that if it was that hot in the “regions below” I was not ever going there. Devon Hale who was seven years old fell when he was on ship and got a very serious concussion. They wanted to operate but Vernetta absolutely refused to have him have brain surgery on a rolling ship. All the missionaries fasted and after President Hale gave him a blessing he was healed. It took eleven days to get to Samoa. Myself, Sister Hale, President Hale, Joyleen, Vernetta Marilyn, Devon

On the morning of July 18th we were up at 5:30 am. We went up on deck and could see a faint outline of Samoa in the distance. As the boat came close and sun came out we saw one of God’s most beautiful landscapes on earth. The ship sailed down the natural harbor and there were mountains on both sides with colors that I had only seen in the movies. The palm trees and the little native huts with the smoke curling up from them made a sight beyond belief. Looking out we could see the Elders standing on the shore in their white suits and the natives gathering from all directions.

Marine Phoenix at Harbor Samoa Sister Hale on the Gangway Pago Pago Harbor Arriving in Samoa

Unfortunately about that time they announced that there was measles aboard ship and that everyone getting off in Samoa would be immediately quarantined. The Samoan islands had never had the measles and if it had been brought to them it could have decimated the islands. There was a large group of people gathered to meet us but they were disappointed because we were all taken to the naval barracks for two weeks. There was one big long room and they put a curtain down the middle to separate us from the naval men. The crowd gathered to meet us There were two bedrooms that had been assigned to President and Sister Hale and their two youngest children. Vernetta and I were assigned cots that were right next to the curtain. President Hale decided that was not at all acceptable and gave up his room so that Vernetta and I could have a little more privacy. Vernetta was not accustomed to sleeping with anyone and because she had served in the war if anyone touched her in the night she would leap out of bed ready to be on call. We had a hard time adjusting to the food. It tasted quite terrible to us. We enjoyed the bananas but everyone told us we would get sick if that is all we ate. They had taro to eat. It is a root and it tasted like putty to me. They also had something called polisami. That was greens mixed with coconut milk. I really had to choke to get that down.

The day of our arrival – in front of the hospital

We could go out on the porch and the missionaries and Samoans would come and talk to us from the other side of the fence. The scouts and the Samoans would sometimes come and sing for us to help pass the time. The Samoan members also brought food for us to eat. We had to pay to stay at the Naval barracks and I got quite a shock when they charged me twice as much as they charged the others. We were in American Samoa and although the others were Americans, I was a “foreigner” and had to pay double. I was quite offended that they thought I was a foreigner; after all, both my parents were born in the United States. School children entertaining us Scout Troop Playing mumble-peg to pass the time

When we finally got out of there all the missionaries in American Samoa came to be together. The former mission president had been sent home about three months before that and so the two assistants Brian Smith and Reed Fauns had been running the mission. Everyone was very glad to have a new mission president. The next night we went up to the village of Sauniatu. We traveled there in a car that just arrived on the ship from America. As we drove into the village they honked and honked to let everyone know we were coming. They had everything decorated and a huge feast to celebrate our arrival. On our way back to the mission home that night the car was hit by a drunk driver. The car was totaled but fortunately most of us were not hurt. President Hale got a scratch on his neck and I had whiplash. It could have been far more serious as we nearly went over a cliff that had a hundred foot drop to the ocean shore below. President and Sister Hale - Eating with their Fingers Our Welcome Fia Fia (party and feast)

We spent about a week in American Samoa after we got out of the hospital. We met with the missionaries, visited the various villages, and met with the members. Each village had their own welcome fia fia for us. Our arrival to the village would be heralded by honking horns and everyone would come to greet us. At Mesepa they even had a ribbon cutting ceremony

When we left American Samoa we went to Western Samoa where headquarters were. Again we were welcomed by the missionaries and the local members. King Tamasese (one of four Samoan Kings) attended the festivities and program held at the mission home not far from Apia.

Most of my mission was spent in Western Samoa. Vernetta and I taught school. We had open huts and the children sat on the floor. I had a blackboard but not much more. Vernetta taught the younger children and I taught the older ones. One of the hardest things I was supposed to teach them was English money. That was a real challenge because I didn’t have a clue – I didn’t know a pence from a pound. For a while it was hard to convince the children that I knew more than they did. Vernetta and I made uniforms for the students to play sports. We took the kids to a Catholic school one day and I sat and visited with the Mother Superior while they played their game. She said they always gave their students breakfast because they didn’t have much in their heads, so they’d better have something in their stomachs. We did not do too much proselyting. We taught Sunday School and Relief Society. Huts similar to those in which we held school School class in the uniforms Mission Home and Headquarters

It was soon discovered that I was a hair-dresser. There was a school that had a lot of lady teachers in it and they hadn’t had someone do their hair for a long time. Also, the wives of government officials were anxious to have their hair down so they asked President Hale if I would be allowed to do some beauty parlor work. He said that would be fine as long as it was done also as a service to the community and I didn’t get paid. So, from that point on, I often did hair on Saturdays when I wasn’t teaching school. I think that may have had a little bit to do with the quota for missionaries being lifted. We did not have a large group of missionaries. In the beginning there we were only allowed to have twelve missionaries on the island. Then they raised the quota. First they said we could have twenty-one and then they said they could have as many as we wanted. L.Kunz, B. Smith, R. Hamblin, R. Watkins, A. Smith, R. Fawns, F. Smith, R. Kirby M. Memmott J. Bates, M. Winward. J. Hale, L. Cahoon, V. Hale, Sister F. Hale, Pres, G. Hale R. Litchfield, C. Hulet, K. Hogenson, R. Bytengurp, G. Steed

Sometimes we traveled to the other islands and always I got so terribly sick. The bay was too shallow for a ship to dock so we went out to the ship in a smaller boat. They packed the boats and you could either stand at the rail or sit on the floor. One time I was so sick on the small boat that by the time we got to the bigger boat I was dry heaving. I really thought I wasn’t going to make it. The others must have thought so too because I was given the Captain’s quarters to lie down in. I was on the other island for three days before I was well enough to move around again. Apia to Tutwilla – the sea-sick boat Aboard the Betty-Lou to Savaii

The boat came about every three weeks and usually there would be a letter or two for us. But at Christmas the boat came and there were no letters. I was so homesick and disappointed that I went upstairs and lay on my bed and cried. Sister Hale went for a walk with me in the moonlight and cheered me up. The next time the boat came the elders went and got the mail. Because they knew I was anxious to get a letter, and boys will be boys, they hid my mail and told me there was nothing for me. I was really upset then and went upstairs to cry. President Hale figured out what was going on and asked the elders if they had done something with my mail. When they admitted they had he really scolded them and told them never to do such a thing again. He made them come and apologize and bring me my letters. I was so homesick that I dreamed that I had gone home and no one would speak to me because they were so disappointed in me for not finishing my mission. When I woke up the next morning I decided that was enough of that nonsense and I just needed to get to work. So I did and things were better. Christmas was different in Samoa. They didn’t really celebrate Christmas the way we do. A lot of the missionaries were from Canada and they went out and found a nutmeg tree which was the closest thing they could find to use for a Christmas tree. We decorated with silver paper and anything else we could find. Most of the missionaries came from in from the villages to celebrate with us. At that time there was no rule about missionaries swimming so we went swimming at the beach on Christmas day. We would jump into the incoming waves and ride them into shore. We had a great time but the sun was so hot that we got terribly burned. We had to just wrap in sheets and stay in our room for three days before we could put clothes on and go about our normal activities.

The Hale family was so good to me. President and Sister Hale treated me as if I was one of their own daughter. The letter below is one Sister Hale wrote me while I was still on my mission

I learned a little Samoan but not a whole lot. Sister Hale also tried to learn a little Samoan but soon found that the language was rather tricky. The same basic word could mean two completely different things depending on where you placed the accent. For example “soo-soo-mi” means “come and eat” and “soo-soo-mi” means “breast milk”. The elders had an office upstairs and one day Sister Hale wanted them to come down for lunch. She called up the stairs, “Soo-soo-mi, Soo-soo-mi.” The elders just about rolled on the floor they were laughing so hard. Sister Hale vowed to never again try to speak the Samoan language. While I was serving we had a wonderful miracle take place in our mission. The wife of a man who was serving as a Branch President in one of the village contracted leprosy. The man asked to be released because he couldn’t do his calling without his wife’s support. The chief of the village was not a member of the church but he liked this man and he didn’t want to have him released. He suggested to President Hale that they should just heal the woman. This took President Hale back a bit but he returned to the mission home and prayed about it. They decided they would give the woman a blessing. He took some of the elders and they laid their hands on the sister but they did not tell her she would be healed. He said they came away with a dark, terrible feeling. They knew they had offended God with their lack of faith. He came back to the mission home and sent word out for every missionary to fast and pray. I remember taking part in the special fast. Then they returned and gave her another blessing. He said they were not afraid but that they laid their hands on her head and promised her in the name of the Lord that she would be healed. She wasn’t healed immediately but she slowly improved. After about three weeks there seemed to be no trace left of the disease. The doctors would not believe it. They sent samples of blood to the States and about 6 weeks later word came that there was no leprosy found. It truly was one of the highlights of the mission as we all felt like we had taken part in the miracle.

One of the things we did that I enjoyed the most was to help the Samoan people hold their very first “Green and Gold Ball”. Everyone really enjoyed the preparations and the event was very successful. The first Samoan “Green and Gold Ball” – (I am on the far left)

I served for eighteen months and at that time Vernetta took Joyleen and went home as well. When we left the people all came to say goodbye. They loaded us with leis and sang “Tofa Mi Felanie” (Goodbye, My Friend) for us. The crew on the boat made us throw the leis into the water. We traveled first to Fiji and then caught the boat traveling from New Zealand to Vancouver.

They would only allow you to take a very small amount of money with you when you left the country. They had told us to go to a certain place in Fiji to get lodging while we waited for the boat but when we went there it was dark and dirty and the rooms were only curtained off. We decided we would have to go to the English hotel and even then there were only curtains instead of doors. Vernetta & Joylene were going to sleep in one room and have me next door but there was no way I was sleeping in a room alone. We took the two single beds and pushed them together and the three of us all slept on them. Vernetta still jumped if anyone touched her during the night so we didn’t get a lot of sleep. We felt so alone. There were no members that we knew of except for a man who got off the boat from Samoa with us and he had disappeared and we had no idea where to find him. We had nothing to do but wait for the boat. There was a swimming pool about 2 blocks away and we would go swimming every day. Finally the boat came.

Our ship, the Aorangi, was a better boat than the one we had on the way out but I was still dreadfully seasick. Our cabin had two bunks and I was on the top bunk. Whenever the ship would roll to one side my bunk would slide out about six inches. Then when it rolled to the other side it would slide back and bang against the wall. We were on that darn boat for about a week before we could get them to believe that the bunk was doing that. Then they finally moved us to a different cabin. I weighed 122 lbs. when I left Samoa and I only weighed 109 lbs. when I got home.


I had a box of curios with some fine mats, some baskets, a kava bowl, a spear etc. - just small mementos that I wanted to bring home with me. When we reached Seattle they said I would have to pay $60.00 duty. I was shocked. I explained that they were only gifts with very little monetary value. When they still said I had to pay I told them I would throw them overboard rather than let them have my souvenirs . They told me I couldn’t do that but when they finally realized that I was quite serious and was not going to hand over my box they allowed me to take it. Grant Litchfield was on the boat from New Zealand so he was traveling with us. We went on to Vancouver together. Grant and I were going to take the train home from Vancouver and we had very little time to get off the boat and catch the train. Just as we were headed to the gang-plank we heard my name being paged, “Lois Cahoon, come to the pursers office. Lois Cahoon, come to the pursers office.” I told Grant that I wasn’t going but he told me I really had to go. He said he would find our luggage and wait for me. When I got to the pursers office I found that my dad had sent me an airplane ticket for the next morning so that I could be home in time for my brother Lawrence’s wedding. I shouted to Grant that I wasn’t coming and he went on without me. I got a hotel room to share to Vernetta and Joyleen. We were traveling with such a small amount of money I gave them every cent of money that I had except for just enough to cover the taxi to the airport. We were afraid they might not have enough to get back to Utah. We said our goodbyes the next morning and I went on to catch my plane. When I got to the airport and my luggage was too heavy. I owed $2.00 and I didn’t have it. I explained that I didn’t even have a nickel. At that time mostly business people or wealthy people flew on planes and they couldn’t believe I didn’t have $2.00. I was so embarrassed I wanted to crawl right under the rug. The man behind me offered to give me $2.00 and the lady behind him also offered to pay for me. She was getting off in Calgary and I knew I could repay her when Lila picked me up so I took it from her.

We arrived in Calgary in bitter cold. I had asked my mother to send me my winter coat but as it didn’t arrive before I left Samoa I had had a coat made in Fiji. They used the heaviest material they had but it was still a very light-weight coat. Lila was waiting for me and she was wearing a fur coat so she traded coats with me. We flew on to Lethbridge and Dad met us there to take us home. I was only there a couple of hours before the wedding. Lila had bought me a new dress but it just hung on me because I had lost so much weight. My mother was most upset to see me so thin, but it was good to be home. That whole winter I shivered with cold. My blood had grown so thin in Samoa that I wondered if I would ever be warm again. Lawrence and Caroline’s Wedding Picture

Home Again After I returned home from my mission I decided to stay in the Cardston area. I was asked to report my mission in Stake Conference. There were several returned missionaries and we were each given three minutes. I started talking and before I knew it a red light came on telling me my three minutes was up. I got so flustered the I just abruptly ended and sat down. I also reported my mission in Calgary. I was worried about what I could possibly say about my mission when I felt I had done so little. I didn’t think teaching school was much of a mission. However, I reported anyway and did the best I could. Later I had someone tell me that my talk had been instrumental in bringing someone into the church. A woman in the ward in Calgary was married to a non-member. The day of my report she convinced him to come to church with her because she knew there was a missionary reporting. As he listened to me speak he saw a halo of light around my head. He asked his wife if she could see the light around me. His wife then said “Doesn’t that tell you something? Are you listening?” It made me feel like something I did had helped somebody. I found a small apartment in Cardston on main street above the Trading Company store and took a job at Cheeseman’s Beauty Parlor. I lived there for a while until my parents and Lila moved into Cardston and then I moved into a basement suite with them. There was a group of South-Seas missionaries that got together on fairly regular basis. At one of these get-togethers I met Grant Webster but, as he had his sister Ardith with him, I thought he was married. He thought I was dating Reed Fawns so it was a while before we found that we were both unattached.

Courtship and Marriage My husband likes to joke that I told him to “get off the fence and on the ball” before I really even knew him. I was involved with planning a dance with the South Seas Missionary group and I was assigned to call Grant and make sure he came. When I reached him he told me that he had a contract to do fencing that stretched from Mountain View up to Waterton Park. That is when I told him that perhaps he ought to take a break and “get off the fence and on the ball.” At Christmas I went to the Christmas dance and we danced together several times. I thought maybe he would ask to take me home but he didn’t. While I was walking home that night he came by with Dick Low and when they saw me walking they stopped and picked me up. Grant had thought I had come with someone else and that is why he hadn’t offered to see me home. He asked if I would go with him to a dance in Glenwood that week. We quickly found that we enjoyed each other’s company. I went out a couple of times to his place and then he took me to the New Year’s Dance in Raymond. We went in Dick Low’s car and after the

Add a comment

Related presentations

Candy stripe christmas

Candy stripe christmas

November 10, 2014

CandyStripe Christmas 2014

Memoria de la Historia de la Asociación socio-cultural de mujeres Solastiar (1994-...

De nos jours beaucoup de personnes ne connaissent pas encore le terme de domotique...

This is a beautiful narration of the journey of a couple (goodness, betrayal) from...

This is a beautiful narration of the journey of a couple (goodness, betrayal) from...

Related pages

The Story of Louis Pasteur (1936) - IMDb

The Story of Louis Pasteur . Unrated ... Pierre Collings (story and screenplay) Stars: Paul Muni, Josephine Hutchinson, Anita ...
Read more

Louise Hay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Louise Hay; Esther Hicks; Jerry Hicks; Jean Houston; Byron ... Hay recounted her life story in an interview with Mark Oppenheimer of the New York Times in ...
Read more

Webster (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When Alex Karras and Susan Clark married in real life, ... the series was also regarded for handling Webster's childhood stories in a more sophisticated, ...
Read more

The Story of Louis Braille - his

The Story of Louis Braille There was a time, not long ago, when most people thought that blind people could never learn to read. People thought that the ...
Read more

Dictionary and Thesaurus | Merriam-Webster

The origin story is true . SEE ALL. Take a 3-minute break. Name That Thing. ... OTHER MERRIAM-WEBSTER DICTIONARIES. SPANISH CENTRAL; LEARNER'S ESL DICTIONARY;
Read more

56 in Webster Groves | News Stories | St. Louis News and ...

56 in Webster Groves ... money and a nice two-story house." ... 45 Things That Make Us Thankful to Live in St. Louis. Nov 25, 2015.
Read more

The True Story of the 1949 Exorcism Case - ST. LOUIS ...

The True Story of the 1949 Exorcism Case: ... The True Story of the 1949 St. Louis ... Father Bowdern believed until the end of his life that he ...
Read more

Life | Definition of Life by Merriam-Webster

Define life: the ability to grow, ... Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary ... life story; life's work;
Read more

Brother Louie - Stories - YouTube

Stories - Brother Louie (video/audio edited & remastered) HQ - Duration: 3:57. Retro Channel Anglo 64,558 views. 3:57 Stories - Brother Louie ...
Read more