Published on February 21, 2014
Expressing contrast Integrated Writing Task
• In spite of / despite • Although / even though / though
in spite of / despite We use them to express contrast. They are synonyms.
Remember! In spite is followed by “of” • In spite of/ despite + v-ing, clause (subject +verb) • Example: In spite of/despite revising for hours, I didn’t do well in the test.
• In spite of/ despite + noun phrase, clause (subject +verb) • Example: Despite my revision, I didn’t do well in the test.
• We can also put in spite of / despite in the middle of a sentence (use commas) • I didn’t do well in the test, despite revising for hours.
Although/ even though / though • We use them to express that the result of something was unexpected • Even though is stronger than although/though. • I enjoyed the party, even though/ although/though I didn’t like the music. • (My not liking the music was not expected at first)
• FORM • ALTHOUGH + CLAUSE (subject + verb), CLAUSE (subject + verb) • Although it was cloudy, we went to the beach.
Use the appropriate linker: • ……. my warnings, he went to North Korea. • Despite/ in spite of my warnings, he went to North Korea.
• … she didn’t feel like going to the cinema, she enjoyed the film in the end. • Even though/although she didn’t feel like going to the cinema, she enjoyed the film in the end.
• They visited Paris, ………. they didn’t have time to visit the Eiffel Tower. • They visited Paris, even though/although they didn’t have time to visit the Eiffel Tower.
• She decided to go abroad for a year, ……… not speaking the language very well. • She decided to go abroad for a year, despite/in spite of not speaking the language very well.
Expressing Contrast . 1..... he's been really ill lately, he insists on going into work. Even though: Even if: Even when: 2: I'll never forget you, .....
Contrast This exercise will give you the chance to practise some of the common linking words and expressions that are used to express contrast.
Thesaurus for Linguistics: connecting words which express a contrast: ... Linguistics: connecting words which express a contrast SMART Thesaurus.
Linking words. Like other languages, English has a lot of cohesive or transitional devices and linking words that can be used to express and join ideas.
Linking Words: Contrasting Ideas. ... These linking words are used to make contrasts. While and whereas are usually used between two complete phrases.
1: The team haven't been playing too well. ....., they are expected to win this afternoon. Nevertheless: In contrast: On the contrary
1.33 Cohesion: linking words and phrases. ... in other words: Contrast: as far as x is concerned: in that case: instead: with regard/reference to ...
Linking words help you to connect ideas and sentences, ... Although, despite and in spite of introduce an idea of contrast. With these words, ...