Published on March 13, 2016
1. LIBGUIDES: USING THE DATA M E L A N I E PA R L E T T E - S T E W A R T, B L E N D E D L E A R N I N G L I B R A R I A N U N I V E R S I T Y O F G U E L P H @ M PA R S T E W
2. website redesign
4. WHAT WE WANTED: •A place where students could “get started” •A consistent look and feel •User-friendly navigation
5. WHAT WE ENDED UP WITH (ROUND 1): • Templated Course Guides • Templated Subject Guides directly tied to all course areas (i.e. HIST Subject guides for HIST (History courses) • Topic Guides to meet the other needs (and allow for consistent support of other needs such as APA,Time Management, Finding Images) • Controlled Language (HackYour Learning, CiteYour Sources)
6. LESSONS LEARNED •Tabs were confusing (people weren’t clicking through to the second tab) •Needed to simplify the content even more
7. WHAT WE ENDED UP WITH (ROUND 2):
8. Limit to 10 research resources (centre column) Video embedded Up to 3 “HackYour Learning” Embedded Library Search Box Help Service (focus on our chat / keeping it online)
9. STRATEGY •Course Guides •Subject Guides •Topic Guides
10. Sticking with the plan: Clean + Simple
11. DATA G O O G L E / S P R I N G S H A R E A N A LY T I C S + U X T E S T I N G
12. 903 4 2 4
13. Google Analytics Behaviour View Full Report Select Page
14. Google Analytics Behaviour View Full Report Select Page Navigation Summary
15. Springshare Libguides Statistics Guides GuideTitle Assets Conversation Starter
16. WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM THIS? •Popular links (remove the less popular / distracting) •Order matters
17. Google Analytics Acquisition Direct: Typed the URL into their browser. Can include: bookmarks, untagged links within emails, or links PDFs or Word documents. Referral: Referred by links on other websites Top Referrals
18. WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM THIS? • Where our users are coming from • Common access points to use / incorporate into promotion
19. UX STUDY RESULTS • Students were unaware of the function of our “Ask Us” icon • Increase scannability (they wanted larger font sizes) • “Library Guides” is an unclear name for our LibGuides instance • Create or improve descriptions
20. HOW HAS THIS IMPACTED OUR STRATEGY? • Working with web librarian to improve web site linking and adjust font sizes / CSS code • Small Library Guides team – Course guide requests go through a form (maintain consistency) • Focus on creating DIRECTIVE not DESCRIPTIVE descriptions under resources (limited word count)
21. NEXT STEPS • 100% of undergraduate course guides created –Outreach to faculty, gathering course outlines to make better • Continue to use the data to make changes to our template –Google Analytics and User Experience (UX) Testing • Increase ourTopic Guide content –Interlinking is what makes the guides effective –As new topics come up, working with academic unit partners • Getting Buy In From Staff –Teaching to the guides increases student use
Learn more about the statistical datasets and sources available in Data-Planet. Contents of this guide
The Data Services guide describes services available to assist users in finding and using data. Contents to date include: Data Computing Resources ...
This is the Social Science Data Services site which provides/pulls together guidance on finding statistics and data in the social sciences.
Getting Information into RefWorks; ... For detailed import instructions for many data vendors, ... Using the online catalog or database search option ...
LibGuides Business Research ... It is important to cite not only the literature consulted but also the data files used. ... Using the tabs, ...
Authority: Which organisation has gathered the data and produced the statistics: Date: How up to date are the statistics? (It can take around 3 years to ...
WCMC Library » LibGuides » Data-Intensive Research. Data-Intensive Research . ... Census Visualizations Gallery of visualizations using US Census data.
Research databases are organized collections of computerized information or data such as periodical articles, books, graphics and multimedia that can be ...
Research data management (or RDM) is a term that describes the organization, storage, preservation, and sharing of data collected and used in a research ...