Published on February 5, 2014
Learning from Daniel ‒ (1) Live as a sojourner Laindon Bible Class 5th February 2014
1. Live as a sojourner 2. Committing our ways to God 3. Observing the signs of the times Daniel 2
• What is a sojourner? • How does Daniel show himself to be a sojourner? • Why is it important to be one? • How should we go about it ourselves? Daniel 3
• Hebrew OT:1481 rWgl* guwr: to sojourn, to abide, to dwell in, to dwell with, to remain, to inhabit, to be a stranger, to be continuing, surely • Greek NT: 3941 pa/roiko$ paroikos: from NT:3844 and NT:3624; having a home near, i.e. (as noun) a by-dweller (alien resident): KJV - foreigner, sojourn, stranger. Daniel 4
• First mentioned in connection with Abraham (Genesis 12 :9-10) • Also used of Lot by the inhabitants of Sodom (Genesis 19:9-10) • Joseph’s brethren used the word concerning their entry into Egypt (Genesis 47:3-4) • Used in the law concerning strangers Daniel 5
• Confirmed by the Psalmist and Stephen (Psalm 105:23-24 & Acts 7:6-7) • Held out as an example of faith by Paul (Hebrews 11:8-10) • The opposite of being in God’s rest (Hebrews 4:8-11) • We are on a journey to God’s rest (Ephesians 5:1-2, 6-8) Daniel 6
G O D’ S R E S T Daniel 7
“Then the Lord said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land. And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord: And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them. And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers [sojourners].” Exodus 6:1-4 Daniel 8
• Daniel (“God is my judge”) was born around 620BC in Judah during the reign of Josiah • Was carried away captive to Babylon as a young man around 606/605BC during the reign of Jehoiakim • He had a prophetic ministry of about 70 years • He lived until the reign of Cyrus (Daniel 10:1), at least into his 90’s Daniel 9
• Daniel and his three friends are brought into Babylon (Daniel 1:1-7) • He separates himself from the polluted food of the King’s table (:8-20) • He placed the matter of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream before God (2:12-23) • Nebuchadnezzar knew Daniel was different (4:8-9) Daniel 10
• What Daniel was prepared to do: – stand out as different from the crowd – give God the glory in all that he did – risk persecution for his faith – if necessary put his life on the line • Why? Because he focussed on God’s coming Kingdom, not the here and now! Daniel 11
“For our conversation [citizenship] is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ” Philemon 3:20 Daniel 12
• The principle of sojourning applies to us too (Hebrews 13:12-14) • We sojourn until the new city comes (Revelation 21:1-4) • A new temple built by God through Christ (2 Corinthians 5:1-4) • Looking for that day when we are no longer sojourners (Ephesians 2:19-22) Daniel 13
“In my Father's house are many mansions [dwelling places]: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.” John 14:2-7 Daniel 14
• Do not serve ourselves but God (2 Corinthians 5:15; 1 Peter 4:2) • Do not pursue personal possessions (Luke 12:15; Matthew 6:19) • Do everything to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31; Colossians 3:17) • Walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16-26; Ephesians 5:8-21) Daniel 15
“For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises. For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise” Hebrews 6:10-15 Daniel 16
How to do Voodoo Are you working too hard and not getting the results?? Well,...
Son simples cuestiones que, aunque puedan resultar a priori inocentes, albergan in...
"The souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them. " ...
Günter Daniel Rey - E-Learning. Theorien, Gestaltungsempfehlungen und Forschung jetzt kaufen. 8 Kundrezensionen und 4.5 Sterne. Angewandte Psychologie…
Günter Daniel Rey. E-Learning. Theorien, Gestaltungsemp-fehlungen und Forschung. ISBN: 978-3-456-84743-6. EURO 36.95 / CHF 49.90. Amazon / Verlag ...
Patrick - Learning Java jetzt kaufen. ISBN: 9781449319243, Fremdsprachige Bücher - Java
Lesen Sie Learning to Love: Evan & Daniel von K.C. Wells mit Kobo. Learning to Love: Book TwoEvan Wainwright’s good relationship karma is paying off.
Global Head of OSRAM Learning & Development ... Interessante neue HR Aufgabengebiete und Themen; Innovation bzgl. Performance Management
Daniel Feldhendler . Geb. 1947 in Paris, lebt seit 1969 in Frankfurt/Main. Seit 1976, Dozent an der Goethe-Universität, Frankfurt/M. Schwerpunkte ...
Michael Baldamus E-Learning- und Medienproduzent, E-Learning Berater, Blended Learning Konzepter Seevetal
Mathe by Daniel Jung: ZEIT & GELD sparen - MATHE Rocken! -Über 2000 kurze Erklärvideos Mathematik (ca. 5 min.) -5.Klasse bis Studium -Sortiert in ...
Willkommen. Herzlich Willkommen auf der Seite der Lernplattform itslearning des Neuen Gymnasiums Rüsselsheim. Mit dem Einloggen auf der Lernplattform ...
Um am e-Learning Betrieb der Universität Bayreuth teilnehmen zu können, benötigen Sie eine Studenten-Benutzerkennung oder eine Mitarbeiter-Benutzerkennung.