Published on March 8, 2014
welcome to COMM 202 Tutorial #5 TA: Laura Wong Thursday, Mar 6 Introduction to COVER LETTERS 1. Importanc e
eModules recap: WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BTW A RESUME & COVER LETTER? R 1 minute
Importance of Cover letters • Lets employer know your intentions • Demonstrates written communication skills – ZERO mistakes • Elaborate on your stories – Use your Skills Matrix WHY YOU?
Demonstrates the 3… Can I do the job? Do I Want the job? Am I a good Fit?
But remember… RESUME is about YOU… COVER LETTER is about THEM and WHY you make a good match!
5 essential elements Opening Integration Closing Branding/Tailoring Skill-Matching
1) The Opening Intro to the hook Interest/Passion + Company Fit + Summarize Skills (+ optional name drop)
Activity: IN GROUPS OF 6, CREATE A HOOK R 5 minutes
2) Skill-Matching Skills (from Skills Matrix) + Experience (2-3 examples) + Education (how you will leverage BCom) + Matching Qualifications (any other qualifications that set you apart)
2) Skill-Matching Context Action Result Link Each paragraph proves that you have the necessary skills to be successful on the job Don’t forget to always link back to the job posting!
3) Branding/Tailoring • About leaving a good impression • Must be consistent throughout your cover letter • Make sure it fits with both the company’s values, culture, and your expectations • Use industry jargon/ company-specific language
4) Closing • Your chance for final impression! • Restate your skills, but use different wording Summarize strengths + Show your passion + Thank them + Use a call to action (follow up) “Mr Smith, thank you for looking at my application. I hope that I have shown you that my interpersonal skills, my leadership skills, and my ability to perform on a team make me a perfect fit for ABC position. Thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon.”!
5) Integration • Visual matching: your cover letter & resume must use same formatting • Do NOT send in generic cover letter & generic resumes (big part of your grade is matching!) – There are 400 of you in COMM 202, and even more applying for your dream job. Find a way to stand out.
What Else? • Cover letter allows you to address any “elephant in the room” situations (e.g. relocation, bad grades, etc.) • Word choice – overly emotional words (“deeply honoured”, “it would be a blessing…”) – Want to show that you are on an equal playing field and are qualified for the role • Grammar & spelling – 2+ mistakes = -40%!
3 key takeaways from today? 1. Important to grab reader’s attention with a good hook 2. Resume is about YOU, cover letter is about THEM (company) 3. Address elephants in the room as necessary (grades, relocation)
Action Items þ Cover Letter Assignment Ø Write your cover letter draft Ø Bring two printed cover letter drafts to next tutorial for peer review Ø Final Resume & Cover Letters due Mar 21st, 2PM Ø Group Office Hours (next week) Ø Sign up on COOL Ø Bring your resumes & cover letters Next week: TUTORIAL
Download Cover Tugas Tutorial 5. ... Laura's Tutorial #5 - Cover Letters 1. welcome toCOMM 202Tutorial #5 TA: Laura Wong ...
Cover 5 1. COVER TECHNOLOGY ... Cover Tugas Tutorial 5 ... Laura's Tutorial #5 - Cover Letters 1. welcome toCOMM 202Tutorial #5 ...
CHECK OUT LAURA'S VIDEO- https://www.youtube.com ... SEND ME LETTERS- ... Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation-Medium 5 Cover FX Custom ...
Butterfly Template & Tutorial ... P.S. Laura's Tutorial for a Diamond-fold Card is here. ... I didn't even see the cover, ...
... Easy Metal Embellishments Tutorial - Laura ... Laura's Channel: ... DIY Clay Embellishments for Pocket Letters, ...
Monogram Quilling Tutorial. ... http://mandysyellowcorner.blogspot.com/2010/10/favorites-week-5.html ... Stroller Re-cover (9) ...
... 5 characters you ... Laura'S Nursing Nursing Tricks Nursing Tools Nursing ... How to write 3 types of cover letters explained at a glance at ...
Explore Mika S's board "Careers" on Pinterest, the world's catalog of ideas. | See more about Cover letters, Resume and Nursing resume.