Published on September 30, 2015
1. LATERAL VENTRICLE
2. There are two large lateral ventricles, and one is present in each cerebral hemisphere. The ventricle is a roughly C- shaped cavity and may be divided into a body - occupying parietal lobe anterior horn - occupying frontal lobe inferior horn - occupying temporal lobe posterior lobe - occupying occipital lobe BODY OF LATERAL VENTRICLE Extends from the interventricular foramen posteriorly as far as the posterior end of the thalamus anteriorly. Consist of roof, floor and medial wall.
3. ROOF Formed by the undersurface of the corpus callosum FLOOR Formed by the body of the caudate nucleus and the lateral margin of the thalamus. MEDIAL WALL Formed by the septum pellucidum anteriorly; posteriorly, the roof and the floor come together on the medial wall.
4. ANTERIOR HORN extends forward into the frontal lobe. It is continuous posteriorly with the body of the ventricle at the interventricular foramen. The anterior horn has a roof, a floor, and a medial wall ROOF Formed by the undersurface of the anterior part of the corpus callosum; the genu of the corpus callosum limits the anterior horn anteriorly. FLOOR Formed by the rounded head of the caudate nucleus MEDIAL WALL Formed by the septum pellucidum and the anterior column of the fornix
5. POSTERIOR HORN extends posteriorly into the occipital lobe ROOF AND LATERAL WALL Formed by the fibers of the tapetum of the corpus callosum. MEDIAL WALL Has two elevations: 1. superior elevation: caused by the splenial fibers of the corpus callosum, called the forceps major, passing posteriorly into the occipital lobe; this superior swelling is referred to as the bulb of the posterior horn 2. inferior elevation: produced by the calcarine sulcus and is called the calcar avis
6. INFERIOR HORN extends anteriorly into the temporal lobe The inferior horn has a roof and a floor. ROOF formed by the inferior surface of the tapetum of the corpus callosum and by the tail of the caudate nucleus FLOOR formed laterally by the collateral eminence, produced by the collateral fissure, and medially by the hippocampus
7. CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE Each lateral ventricle contains about 7 to 10 mL of cerebrospinal fluid. This fluid is produced in the choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle and normally drains into the third ventricle through the interventricular foramen (foramen of Monro). Blockage of the foramen by a cerebral tumor would result in distention of the ventricle, thus producing a type of hydrocephalus. The choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle is continuous with that of the third ventricle through the interventricular foramen. The choroid plexus is largest where the body and posterior and inferior horns join, and it is here where it may become calcified with age. It is important that this calcification of the choroid plexus, as seen on radiographs, is not confused with that of the pineal gland
The lateral ventricles are part of the ventricular system of the brain. Each cerebral hemisphere contains a lateral ventricle. The lateral ventricles are ...
In addition to the CSF from the lateral ventricle, ... Ventricles of the brain Premium. Ventricular system of the brain with neighboring structures.
Lateral (Phonetik), ein seitlich im Mund gebildeter Laut; Lateral (Rätsel), Rätselart; Lateral (Pferd), Sieger des Iffezheimer Kronimus Rennen 2005 ...
This article will discuss the anatomy of the lateral ventricles, their location in the brain, functions and clinical relevance. Learn this topic at Kenhub.
AJNR:1 1, MayfJune 1990 LATERAL VENTRICULAR NEOPLASMS Fig. 1.-Anatomic locations and tumor pathology by age group. BODY= body of lateral ventricle; PNET ...
The lateral ventricle is a small mucous membrane outpouching situated between these folds on each side. From: The Equine Manual, 2006
The right and left lateral ventricles are structures within the brain that contain cerebrospinal fluid, a clear, watery fluid that provides cushioning for ...
Lateral ventricle: A communicating cavity in the brain that is part of a system of four communicating cavities that are continuous with the central canal ...
Übersetzung für lateral ventricle im Englisch-Deutsch-Wörterbuch dict.cc.
The system comprises four ventricles: lateral ventricles right and left (one for each hemisphere) third ventricle; fourth ventricle; There are several ...