Published on January 19, 2016
1. www.kimshospitals.com www.kimshospitals.com EPILEPSY SURGERY CARE At KIMS
2. www.kimshospitals.com What is Epilepsy? Epilepsy is a group of neurological disorders characterized by epileptic seizures
3. www.kimshospitals.com Epilepsy Clinic • Epilepsy Surgery Care at KIMS is carried out by an experienced group of Specialists who have performed more than 650 epilepsy surgeries. • The group consists of the Neurologist - Dr.S.Sita Jayalakshmi, Neurosurgeon- Dr. Manas Panigrahi, Radiologist – Dr. VSV Rammohan, Nuclear Medicine consultants - Dr. Pushpalatha Sudhakar, Dr. Praveen Kumar, Pathologist, Dr. Sailaja M and Clinical Psychologist Dr. Shanmukhi.
4. www.kimshospitals.com Epilepsy Surgery • Medications can control seizures well in 70% of people. But in 30% of patients, medicines are not effective and in few of these patients, brain surgery to remove the focus causing epilepsy may be a good option for seizure freedom or even a significant reduction in the disabling seizures. • Epilepsy surgery has been an accepted form of treatment for over 50 years. • With advances in MRI techniques and new surgical techniques along with ways of identifying areas to be removed, Epilepsy surgery procedures being done with good success. • Surgery can be performed on both children and adults. However, it is not a suitable treatment for everyone who has epilepsy or for everyone where medications are ineffective.
5. www.kimshospitals.com Advantages of Epilepsy Surgery • Surgery for epilepsy is advancing continuously with new techniques, new equipment and an increasing number of neurosurgeons interested in delivering this service. • There are a steadily growing number of people undergoing this surgery and many of those people going on to enjoy a much better quality of life. • The success of modern surgery for epilepsy has caused a widespread interest in this type of treatment, with people accepting this preferable to a lifetime being on medication
6. www.kimshospitals.com Who should undergo Epilepsy Surgery • To find out whether someone is suitable for this type of surgery a number of things will need to be taken into account by the consultant Neurologist or epileptologist. • Surgery will be considered if the person has no other medical problem which would make them unsuitable for this type of surgery and anti-epileptic drug treatment has been tried but still the seizures are uncontrolled. • The seizures should be arising from one localized area of the brain and the person's ability to function normally should not be affected by removing this part of the brain. • The affected part of the brain can be removed without causing further damage to any other part of the brain and the areas of the brain responsible for speech, sight, movement or hearing are not close to the part of the brain to be removed.
7. www.kimshospitals.com Results • Some people may experience seizures just after the operation due to temporary swelling. This does not mean that the operation has failed. • Depending on the person’s own doctor, it may be some time before the patient can start reducing their medication Up to 75 to 80% of patients notice a dramatic reduction in the number of seizures after surgery, especially temporal lobectomy and many finding that their seizures appear to have stopped. • They can then look at reducing or stopping their medication in consultation with their doctor. • Most of the times the medicines should be continued up to one year after surgery after which a gradual reduction of the medicines can be done.
8. www.kimshospitals.com Achievements • Our mission is to care for people with epilepsy and improve their quality of life. • Our focus is on each child or adult who comes to the center, and their families and loved ones, but our goals extend to research and beyond. • We are fortunate to have a remarkable group of physicians, nurses, technologists, scientists, and others who make our center unique among outstanding epilepsy programs.
9. www.kimshospitals.com Technology • Electronic Assistive Technology • Brain Mapping • EEG • Neuroimaging
10. www.kimshospitals.com Contact Us KIMS SECUNDERABAD: 1-8-31/1, Minister Rd, Krishna Nagar Colony, Begumpet, Secunderabad- 500003 Andhra Pradesh, INDIA. T: +91-40-4488 5000 / +91-40-4488 5184 F: +91-40-27840980 E: email@example.com W: www.kimshospitals.com KIMS Kondapur: # 1-112 / 86, Survey No 5 / EE, Kondapur Village, Serilingampally Mandal, Hyderabad - 500 084 T: +91-40-6750 5050 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.kimshospitals.com
11. www.kimshospitals.com Contact Us KIMS Nellore: Ambedkar Nagar, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh T: 0861 231 5835 E: email@example.com W: www.kimshospitals.com KIMS Rajahmundry: Seelam Nukaraju Complex Road, Katari Gardens, Rajahmundry-3, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA. T: +91-883–2477770, 2477779, F: +91-883–2437488 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.kimshospitals.com KIMS Srikakulam: New Bridge Road, Near Datta Temple, P.N. Colony Junction, Srikakulam. Andhra Pradesh, INDIA. T: +91-8374-998824 to 18 E: email@example.com W: www.kimshospitals.com
Overview. Epilepsy Surgery Care at KIMS is carried out by an experienced group of Specialists who performed more than 650 epilepsy surgeries.
Your participation in the survey will help other patients make informed decisions. You will also be helping Dr. Sita Jayalakshmi and her staff know how ...
Best NEUROLOGY Doctor for Epilepsy treatment or operation in Hyderabad. Book an appointment to ask queries and consult with top Neurologist in your area
There are only few groups of epilepsy specialists who have experience of more than 300 cases in India. Dr Sita Jayalakshmi and Dr Manas ...
The Indian Epilepsy Centre is headed by Dr Satish Jain, formerly Professor of Neurology at the AIIMS, New Delhi. Dr Jain is recognized internationally for ...
Profile of Dr. Manas Panigrahi, Neurosurgeon in Hyderabad: Get complete information about Dr. Manas Panigrahi MBBS, M.Ch (NIMHAS), ...
Posts about Hospitals in Hyderabad written by KIMS Hospital. KIMS Hospitals. The Future of Health. Skip to content. Home; About Us; Contact Us;
View 819 Epilepsy Surgery posts, presentations, experts, and more. ... KIMS Hospitals - Epilepsy Surgery in Hyderabad | Best Epilepsy... 0 Views. changezkn.