Published on January 3, 2018
1. Segmentation Success Four Years of Hyper Growth & a Touch of Grace Katie Rogers VP Customer Success
2. Segmentation Success REVIEW | Segmentation Maturity ‘14 - ‘18 ! Annual Focus ! Segmentation Structure ! The Results, Fumbles & Wins GOALS | You walking away with... ! An idea of how to segment for future success ! Aha’s to avoid the fumbles and reproduce the wins
3. FEB 2014 It all started with a TWEET 7th Employee First CX Hire & OG Lady Lofter
4. In Four Years… 200+ Employees $25+MM Raised 1,500+ Customers
5. People are KEY. It’s HARD. But, it’s WORTH it. YOY Stats ‘16-’17 Reduced Logo Churn by 175% Increased Net Rev Retention by 1200%
6. 2014 Ancient Times Annual Focus: Defining & Hiring for CX Segmentation Structure: None! ! One CSM as main POC, 400+ Customers ! One Support Agent & Training Manager EOY Results: $1M ARR, CX team of Three Fumbles: Staffed too late, undefined metrics, constant volume concerns Wins: Early user adoption, 1st Knowledge Base & Approval to hire for ‘15!
7. 2014 Lessons Learned The $2MM ARR per CSM is great, but not when building from the ground up. While high touch didn’t scale - Webinars & Newsletters did. Customers loved it! ! Tips ○ Churn recon has to be #1 - “Find the Why” ○ Hire where you’re weak, it’ll help 10x ○ Create a knowledge base early - 20% volume decrease ○ Find a way to measure volume early ! Tools ○ Text Expander: Atext ○ Communication: Mailchimp
8. 2015 Better Faster Stronger Annual Focus: Scale Individual Roles covering Two Products ! Prospector & Cadence ! Customer Success: Owned Accounts ! Training: Webinars, Customer Content & Knowledge Base ! Support: Tier One - What & How, Tier Two - Break & Fix Segmentation Structure: Revenue Tiers ! Key Accounts 1:60 Ratio (One) ! SMB Accounts 1:250 Ratio (Four) YOY Results: 5x Revenue Growth, CX Team of 12 Fumbles: Logo Churn, Seg Model was too broad, Rep burnout Wins: Strong Key Account retention, Cross Sells to Cadence
9. 2015 Lessons Learned Broad approach was a customer hit - G2 Crowd Highest Rated Product for SMB. The $2MM ARR per CSM still didn’t work. ! Tips ○ Hire for your segments & give assessments ○ Identify churn timing & solidify reasons ! Tools ○ Support: Zendesk ○ Wish List: TrustFuel, Health & Work Flows
10. 2016 Reboot
11. 2016 Reboot Annual Focus: Proactive & Scalable Customer Success Segmentation Structure: ARR & Org Size Tiers ! Key Accounts: >$XXk or $Xk & XX+ Employees ! 1:55 Ratio YOY Results: 2x ARR, CX team of 20, CS team of 4 & Prospector Sunset Fumbles: SFDC Segment labels, Lack of Usage Data Wins: Strong retention, Back to one product & Revamps CS Approach
12. 2016 Lessons Learned Trust your gut. We slowed things down and simplified our CS offering. Listen and action of the churn story but find the growth stories as well. ! Tips ○ Create the One Pager for Change ○ Identify growth stories ! Tools ○ Account Scoring: Everstring ○ Workflow: SalesLoft
13. 2017 Launch Annual Focus: Segmentation Tiers & Internal Scoring Model Segmentation Structure: Expand | Retain | Respond
14. 2017 Launch Annual Focus: Segmentation Tiers & Internal Scoring Model Segmentation Structure: Expand | Retain | Respond YOY Results: 2x ARR, CX team of 40, CS team of 16 Fumbles: 1st Scoring Model, Staffing the Model Wins: CEO approval, Marketing & TAM modifications, Sales alignment!
15. 2017 Lessons Learned The growth profiles in 2016 were key to our 2017 success & scoring model. Clearly articulating WHY is was necessary led to company alignment. ! Tips ○ Find the key variables for success & measure them. ○ Start with one segment - all three at one didn’t work. ! Tools ○ SFDC - formulas! ○ Vidyard for CS Engagement Transformed: 1. How we serve our customers. 2. How we think about the ROI and value of Customer Success.
16. TODAY I’m still tweeting, Say Hi @KatieKortnie! CX is 40+ Lofters Strong 16 Customer Success Managers YOY Stats ‘16-’17 Reduced Logo Churn by 175% Increased Net Rev Retention by 1200%
17. People are KEY. It’s HARD. But, it’s WORTH it. Segmentation Success
18. Thank You! Contact Details @KatieKortnie KK@SalesLoft.com