Published on March 10, 2014
The quiz is brought to you by
A big shout out to our sponsors
Rules • 25 questions in all. • No negative marking. • 1, 4, 9, 16 and 25 are *ed and will be used to resolve ties if any. • Top 8 teams will qualify to the finals.
1. Simple question to begin with. Identify the band.
2. • Malenadu – portions of Chickmagalore, Uttara Kannada, Hassan, Kodagu and Shimoga districts. • __________ - coastal portions of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Uttara Kannada FITB.
3. Samosapedia definition of which term ? “Originally meant carefree and unrestrained. In a wider sense, used as an adjective of approval; good, excellent or first class. Also used as a verbal tic, without any specific meaning, to start, continue and finish a conversation.” The term is also the name of a Kannada movie with the caption “Be happy, no B.P.”
4. • Starting of his career as a civil contractor in Sirsi, he went on to found Naveen Mechanised Construction Company Private Limited which undertook construction of dams, canals, tunnels, bridges and buildings in central Karnataka region. • Now, a serial entrepreneur a few of the companies he owns include Naveen Hotels Limited, Murudeshwar Tiles Private Limited, Murudeshwar Ceramics Limited, Murudeshwar Power Corporation Limited. • Also, a philanthropist he runs a trust which owns many educational institutions in the state. Identify.
R N Shetty
5. Identify the location picturised in the song.
KRS Dam / Brindavan Gardens
6. Commissioned by the Government of Karnataka, “The Emerald Guide” is a travel guide in the guise of a travelogue written by which author?
K R Narayan
7. Who are they ? Why the celebrations ? ( Part Points )
Karnataka BullDozers Winners of the CCL 4
8. • The president of the Kannada Chaluvali Paksha, he is often singularly credited with keeping Kannada language and Kannada spirit alive in Bengaluru despite the onslaught of migration from other states and other languages. • Also an ex-MLA from the Chamarajnagar seat, he can be seen in the forefront of many an agitation. Who ?
9. Id the artist.
10. • Devendra Prabhudesai is an Indian biographer and manager of media relations and corporate affairs for BCCI in Mumbai, India. • Prabhudesai's first book was An Umpire Remembersthe autobiography of Piloo Reporter. It was published by Rupa and is sponsored by Castrol India Limited. He also authored a 2007 book on the Cricket World Cup. His third and most famous books was a biography of _____________ titled The Nice Guy who finished first. FITB.
11. The minimalist poster of which Kannada movie ?
12. • Ideal Jawa is a motorcycle company that used to be based out of Mysore. Jawa motorcycles were introduced in India in 1960 and they have a cult following to this present day. • The aptly title catchphrase used by them was "Forever bike forever value“. • Just give me the name of the most famous brand/bike to come out of their stables.
13. Home to the biggest settlement of Tibetians in the state. Just identify the town with quite a few beautiful monasteries.
14. • Sir M.Vishweshwarayya - 1955 • ______________________ - 2008 • Prof CNR Rao – 2014 FITB.
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
16. • It is a three-stone structure, with marble domes and a 145 ft fivestoried towers on either side. The place is surrounded by a large garden. • The building is of fine gray granite with deep pink marble domes designed by Henry Irwin. The facade has several expansive arches and two smaller ones flanking the central arch, which is supported by tall pillars. Above the central arch is a sculpture of Gajalakshmi, the goddess of wealth, prosperity, good luck, and abundance with her elephants. • The gardens also house many temple such as the Someshwara temple, Lakshmiramana temple, Varahaswamy temple etc. Which building ?
17. It is said that Hyder Ali gave it as jagir to a Maratha chief named Apoji Ram, who encouraged merchants to settle there. While Apoji Ram died without heirs, the place continued to grow, favored by Tipu Sultan. After the fall of Tipu Sultan's regime, a European firm stepped in and started a cotton mill. These mills flourished as cotton was grown in plenty, in and around the city as well as its adjoining towns. Known as the “Manchester of Karnataka” which city is this ?
Beaches in Gokarna
19. The name of this temple ____________ is made up of two Sanskrit words for “forest” and “ The consort of Shiva”. The transformation to its current name reflects a common loanword adaptation in Kannada from Sanskrit words. The temple located in Cholachagudd near Badami, in Bagalkot district has been dated to the 7th century AD. Identify this temple which also lends its name to a locality in Bangalore.
20. • Located in the Chikkamagaluru district of Karnataka, it is known for its shrine to the Sufi saint __________, a pilgrimage site for Hindus and Muslims. • The saint in question is said to have brought coffee seeds from Arabia and sown them here, the region now being the largest producer of coffee in the country.
Baba Budan, Baba Budan Giri
21. Identify the building and also the city in which you’ll find it.
Suvarna Vidhana Soudha Belgaum
22. • • • • • Venur Gommatagiri Karkala Dharmasthala Shravanabelagola • What connects these places ?
23. • In 2003, this Bangalore resident and writer of such books as "The World of Homosexuals" and mystery stories such as "Perfect Murder" caused a ruckus by claiming some doctors had admitted her to hospital to steal her brain. • Who?
24. This is a bus service recently launched by KSRTC. What is the name given to this service ?
25. Identify the lyricist of this song
The Finals will commence in exactly 20 minutes time. Small and very interesting final. Do stay and Enjoy.
Karnataka Quiz Association, Bangalore, India. 5,050 likes · 132 talking about this. The Karnataka Quiz Association (KQA for short) was founded in 1983;...
Karnataka Quiz Association. Home; Mega-Whats; MindSweep; About; Quizzes; Quizzes. ... solus-rex-prelims-2009-with-answers. Quizzes at ASKQANCE 2008 ...
Conducted on 11th May 2014- General Quiz - flagship event of The Quiz Fest of NIE, Mysore Prelims: Questions & Answers
Attempt quiz on geography to evaluate your preparation for UPSC IAS Civil Services Prelims Exam 2016. Includes questions asked in CDS, CAPF, NDA, CSP.
The Karnataka Quiz Association is organizing an individual written science quiz for school ... High School Quiz – classes 8-10 High School Prelims: ...
Home » Prelims MCQs » History Quiz » Prelims MCQs Quiz 40 : Culture. ... Karnataka 2. Phulkari : Punjab 3 ... 1000 Prelims MCQs with answer & detailed ...
Karnataka History Objective Questions And Answers Download for free (or view) PDF file History Objective Questions Part 1 for Competitive Exams.