Published on March 8, 2014
COVER LETTER, PART 1 WEEK 8- TUTORIAL JOCELYN LI COMM202.2@SAUDER.UBC.CA PLEASE HAND IN YOUR BONUS ASSIGNMENT!
AGENDA 1. Resume feedback 2. Cover letters 3. Up Next 4. Key takeaways
1. RESUME FEEDBACK Name size Consistency Length & font size Education section: what is the achievement? Grammar: ask for help!
1. REMINDER TO PARTICIPATE PART OF YOU 10% PROFESSIONALISM MARK!
2. COVER LETTERS eModule recap: What are the differences between a resume & cover letter?
2. COVER LETTERS WHY? Lets employer know your intentions Demonstrates written communication skills Elaborates on your stories Illustrates your personality and what could be!
2. COVER LETTERS 3 QUESTIONS ANSWERED Can I do the job? Do I want the job? Am I a good fit?
2. COVER LETTERS COVER LETTER RESUME is about YOU… is about THEM and WHY you make a good match!
2. COVER LETTERS 5 ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS Closing Integration Skill-Matching Branding/Tailoring Opening
2. COVER LETTERS Why would you do research? What do you want to know?
2. COVER LETTERS RESEARCH… what do you want to know? • • • • • • • • • • What are the main products or services the company offers? Why is this interesting to you? How would you describe the organizational culture? What do you think the working environment will be like? What are the values and/or mission statement? How do these align with your values system? What are the names of the top local executives/recruiters? Who will you address your cover letter to? Do you know anyone within the organization? What is the nature of that relationship? Who are the primary competitors? What do they do better? What is the topic of a recent media article about this company? Does the company have a Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Glassdoor presence? Have you connected with them via social media? Overall, what in your research piqued your interest in this company? What are your most marketable skills for this position? What are your strongest most relevant stories from your skill matrix assignment?
2. COVER LETTERS #1 THE OPENING THE HOOK! Interest/Passion + Company Fit + Summarize Skills (+ optional name drop)
2. COVER LETTERS #1 THE OPENING HOOK EXAMPLES How fast can you change four tires? One hour? Ten minutes? A few years ago I witnessed a Formula One team do it in 2.7 seconds. They said a perfect run would be just about one second. In everything that I do I strive to reach that one second – that perfect test score, that perfect presentation, that perfect career. The CA Recruit has been both a forward-looking and a reflective process for me. Ever since representing the Canadian office at KPMG’s International Case Competition nearly 18 months ago, I feel as if I have been welcomed into the KPMG family.
2. COVER LETTERS #1 THE OPENING HOOK EXAMPLES I like to stand out. Nothing replenishes my inner tank of energy and joy more than helping others. Everyone gets further with the help of others by being pushed to succeed and to surpass limits. Deloitte embraces servicing companies on the professional level and has been successfully doing so with both an optimistic and altruistic mindset. Matching your desire at Deloitte to provide customers with strategic solutions and my intrinsic drive to serve others is the key reason to why I am excited to submit my application for the summer internship position as a Business Analyst in the field of Strategy and Operations.
2. COVER LETTERS #1 THE OPENING HOOK EXAMPLES
2. COVER LETTERS #1 THE OPENING HOOK EXAMPLES
2. COVER LETTERS #2 SKILL MATCHING Skills (matrix) + Experience (2-3) + Education (leverage Bcom) + Matching Qualifications
2. COVER LETTERS #2 SKILL MATCHING Each paragraph proves that you have the necessary skills to be successful on the job Don’t forget to always link back to the job posting! Context Action Result Link
2. COVER LETTERS #3 BRANDING & TAILORING About leaving a good impression Must be consistent throughout Make sure it fits with both the company’s values, culture, and your expectations Use industry jargon/company-specific language
2. COVER LETTERS #4 CLOSING Your chance for final impression! Restate your skills, but use different wording. Summarize strengths + Show your passion + Thank them + Call to action (follow-up)
2. COVER LETTERS #5 INTEGRATION Visual matching: same formatting as resume 40% of your grade is matching… generic is not okay 400 of you in COMM 202, and even more applying for your dream job. Find a way to stand out.
2. COVER LETTERS #OTHER Word choice – overly emotional words (“deeply honoured”, “it would be a blessing…”)… you are qualified! Grammar & spelling – 2+ mistakes = -40%!
2. COVER LETTERS #OTHER Address any “elephant in the room” situations (e.g. relocation, bad grades, etc.)
2. COVER LETTERS ANALOGY
4. UP NEXT 1. Cover Assignment: Draft (2 copies) due March 14th 2. Resume & Cover letter- March 21st @ 2pm 3. Office hours: SIGN UP NOW. 4. Tutorial next week, no lecture
MAIN TAKEAWAYS 1. Resume = you. Cover Letter = them. 2. Personally connect 3. Differentiate yourself
xLyriX is a searchable lyrics database featuring 1,000,000+ song lyrics from 20,000 artists. Use xLyriX to find your favorite song lyrics. All lyrics are ...
The Girl In The Box Series. ... Andy Hopkins and Jocelyn Potter. ... how to write a resume and cover letter pdf;
The halves of a letter card may be stuck together. A book may have a previous owner’s notations. ... Jocelyn, Florist cover with logo, ...
Management CALL_NUMBER_SORT UNITS_SORT_FORM ITEM_ID BIB_ID LOCATION ITEM_CLASS BARCODE HE11 .T72 HE0011 T72 11988000222482 UTC Library (3rd Floor ...
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant files or will file annual reports under cover of ... our letter to the United Nations ... manager Jocelyn ...
Title: FULHAM DECEMBER 2014, Author: Zest Media London, Name: abs_fulham_december_2014, Length: ... TRAVEL 78 A TALE OF TWO CITIES Cover image ... W8 ...
image All Image latest This Just In Flickr Commons Occupy Wall Street Flickr Cover Art USGS Maps. Metropolitan Museum. Top
image All Image latest This Just In Flickr Commons Occupy Wall Street Flickr Cover Art USGS Maps. Metropolitan Museum. Top ... Full text of "Billboard"
GB 141 OS List of The Olaf Stapledon Collection, ... There is also a large correspondence section which contains letter both from and ... Inside cover, in ...