Published on November 4, 2015
1. Student Digital Experience Data Service consultation London 04/11/15 #digitalstudent http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org
2. http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org » Phase 1 study reviewed students’ expectations and experiences of the digital environment at university and we spoke to 500 staff and students during our consultation (2013 -2014) » We conducted a review of practice in schools to identify likely incoming expectations (2014) » In phase 2 we focused on FE speaking to 220 learners and 300 staff from colleges across the UK (2014 – 2015) » Phase 3 Skills study, speaking to adult & community learners, work based learners including apprentices and offender learners (2015) » Prototyping a digital student data service to support providers & universities to gather their learners experiences of technology (2015-) 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 2
3. Enhancing the student digital experience 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 3 » Updated online guide available from: » https://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/e nhancing-the-digital-student- experience » Over 100 snapshots of current practice fromcolleges and universities: » http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve. org/wp/exemplars
4. Benchmarking the student digital experience 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 4 Jisc, NUS andThe Student Engagement Partnership bit.ly/digistudentexp
5. » Explore with our stakeholders and end users whether the alpha prototype for a service to support the collection and analysis of data on student expectations, experiences, attitudes and satisfaction with digital technologies in their studies in UK higher and further education is viable. » The service would make it easier for universities and colleges to collect and analyse student expectations and experience data using well-designed and robust questions, and would enable institutions to compare their data internally (for example by faculty or campus) and with other aggregated, anonymised institutional profiles. Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 5 Aims for today
6. We want your views… »Outline the vision and benefits of a possible Jisc Student Digital Experience Data Service »Show you the alpha prototype of the planned service to gather feedback on its potential use by higher education and further education and skills »Offer opportunities to share best practice and guidance on engaging students in surveys of this type, discussions and activities relating to their digital student experience 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 6
7. What we have learnt »Digital Student data collection and analysis workshop (April 2015) 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 7
8. Concepts for the digital student data service 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 8
9. For outcomes and workshop resources: Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 9 http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org/wp/data-service
10. What do we already know? 13/07/15 #digitalstudent http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org
11. What’s already happening? »External (national/international) surveys: › NSS › NSSE › SB and LSS › SPOCS and Ofsted LearnerView › UCISA › Coralesce ed-tech surveys 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 11
12. What’s already happening? »Internal evidence gathering: › Surveys initiated by IT, Library, ed-tech team › Qualitative techniques e.g focus groups › Student reps: course/academic, user group, general learner voice/student experience › Informal, ad hoc feedback e.g. via social media › System data analytics 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 12
13. What’s already happening - leftfield »Students doing it for themselves »Social media: continuous improvement or quick fix? »Post-digital »Analytics does it all 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 13
14. What you told us: current practice » Everyone uses: NSS core set, internal surveys, student reps » Most methods used by at least half: exceptions NSSE, UCISA » Some organisations use almost all these methods » Less than half use external surveys to ask about digital » Most useful = wide range: student change agents, NSS/LSS core set, qualitative approaches (x2) » Fit for purpose = all rate 2/3 except for one 4 » Who leads = wide range: no-one; ICT/IT,TEL, NUS, L&T, other 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 14
15. What you told us: drivers for change »For around half the main driver was: Digital issues becoming more significant to students' overall experience »Others were various: focus on the student experience and service enhancement 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 15
16. What you have told us: how a Jisc data service could help » Share best practice › 'Provide a blueprint for how to do it well' › 'Examples of well written questions' › 'information bank... of what practice is occurring elsewhere' › 'nationally and locally' » Standardisation/benchmarking › 'systematic approach' › 'benchmarks for competitors, comparable size institutions' » Coordinating a sector data service 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 16
17. What are the real opportunities/wins? 1. Enhance current practice in survey design, delivery and response 2. Robust, tested questions (core/optional) 3. Add detail to other national (more general) surveys 4. Comparability (longitudinal, sectoral, other) 5. Demonstrate digital impact – if it does do that 6. Joined up data - if it is joined up (by Jisc? By institutions with help from Jisc?) 21/05/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk 17
18. Find out more… 10/06/2014 Jisc Digital Student http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org.uk Digital Student #digitalstudent Sarah Knight Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org Helen Beetham email@example.com http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org Except where otherwise noted, this work is licensed under CC-BY-NC-ND 18
19. Sharing best practice – how do we engage students and close the loop? 13/07/15 #digitalstudent http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org
The findings from the Student digital experience tracker ... Student digital experience data service ... Jisc student digital experience data service.
On the 4th November 2015, we held a consultation meeting with staff and students representing 15 universities and 2 colleges, on the Jisc student digital ...
... how they use their own devices and services ... digital provision; Plan other research, data ... the digital student experience: ...
Enhancing the student digital experience: ... Contact the Jisc customer service help ... Introducing the new sector agreement for open research data ...
The Jisc Student Experience team leads ... whole Jisc community, the R&D service we offer ... Course Data Culture data literacy digital capabilities ...
Technology innovation for staff, learners / apprentices ... of the student digital experience is ... the Digital Student Data Service.
... JISC-DIGITAL-CONTENT >JISC Digital Content JISC-DIGITALSTUDENT-DATA >Jisc student digital experience data service list JISC-DIGLIT-PUBLIC >Developing ...
Students’ expectations and experiences of the digital ... institutional data services. ... much to ensure the student digital experience is a ...