Published on February 28, 2014
www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au Workers’ Compensation Managers’ priorities and improving Return to Work outcomes Dr James Murray Managing Director
Soft Tissue Centre www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • • 13 years treating workplace injury Only work onsite Soft tissue specialists 100% employed providers Average 3.1 treatments per injury KEEPING PEOPLE WORKING
Agenda www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Workers’ compensation survey summary – Full summary available after conference • Five steps to better outcomes GETTING THIS RIGHT WILL SAVE THOUSANDS
Survey summary www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • • Official conference survey WHAT DO 30 industry professionals YOU THINK? Completed at conference How are we doing? Focus on issues/challenges/activities/progress
Challenges facing companies www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Ageing workforce - 34% • Musculoskeletal – 28% • Claims cost – 10% AGEING WORKFORCE IS A LONG TERM ISSUE
Dilemma for ageing workforce www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • MRI scans always show problems – 50% of 50+ have a disc bulge on MRI – 60% of 60+ have degenerative tear in dominant shoulder on MRI USE SCANS STRATEGICALLY • Scan diagnosis may not be true source of issue • Surgery often seen as only solution
Barriers to successful outcomes www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • Dr ‘”how long” / Unnecessary certificates Lack of operational support Providers unable to fix injuries THE GP OFTEN HINDERS SUCCESSFUL OUTCOMES
Current health and wellbeing programs www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Ergonomic assessments – 22% • Company sponsored activities – 17% • Corporate Games, Global Corporate Challenge • General health seminars – 13% • None – 7% ARE CURRENT PROGRAMS MAKING REAL A DIFFERENCE?
2014 planned programs www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Wide variety • Various training programs – Physical and mental health • Functional capacity assessments • Improved triage process SHOULD WE DO MORE?
Five steps to better outcomes www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au
1. Breakdown functional silos www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Operations are integral to RTW outcomes • Everyone has to play their part • Case study: large food processor – Modified duties used to prevent claims – All injuries into compensation process – Worker’s Comp had no incentive to improve productivity NO-ONE SHOULD OWN INJURED WORKERS
2. Productivity vs Compensation www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • Stop pure Workers’ Comp focus Must think and act holistically You can manage people risk Budget for non-compensible injury START TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE NOT THE SYSTEM
3. Build RTW road humps www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • Have frequent reviews 6 week interval maximum Change methods if not fixed Use ‘words that heal’ USE SCANS STRATEGICALLY
4. Objective measurement www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • Use more than just premium and LTIs On-costs, absenteeism, modified duties Total injury costs not hourly rates Relate them to company revenue – E.g. sales required to fund injury • Educate executive team on stats to track GOOD STATS WILL DELIVER INCREASED FUNDING
5. What is a good outcome? www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Claims only from: – Company initiation – Accidents/hospitalisation • Otherwise: • Zero claims • Zero surgeries ACHIEVE WHAT THE BEST BUSINESSES ACHIEVE
Special conference offer www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • Free independent assessment of 3 employees • E.g. Claimants, new injuries, workers returning • Includes privacy/compliance documentation • This is an exclusive offer for companies employing more than 90 people in a single location. This offer relates to a private assessment to help the company and the employee move forward. It is not designed to be a formal part of a Workers' Compensation process and is made independently from Informa and the Workers' Compensation Summit. GOOD STATS WILL DELIVER INCREASED FUNDING
Summary www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au • • • • No-one should ‘own’ injured workers GETTING IT Need whole picture thinking RIGHT KEEPS PEOPLE WORKING Start the productivity discussion Injury prevention not claims managing
www.softtissuecentre.com.au www.softtissuecentre.com.au Thank you Contact information T. 1300 734 643 E. J.firstname.lastname@example.org
VITOGAZ vous présente: CFBP baromètre gpl carburant
Ata Escrita da 16ª Sessão Ordinária realizada em 16/10/2014 pela Câmara de Vereado...
Ata Escrita da 10ª Sessão Extraordinária realizada em 16/10/2014 pela Câmara de Ve...
Rx1 zayiflama hapi, kullanimi nasildir, yan etkileri var mi? yan etkiler var ise h...
Esposto del MoVimento 5 Stelle sul Patto del Nazareno
Past Presentations ... Soft Tissue Centre - Workers’ Compensation Managers’ priorities and improving Return to Work outcomes from Informa Australia.
James Murray - Soft Tissue Centre - Workers’ Compensation Managers’ priorities and improving Return to Work outcomes
Workers’ Compensation ... Dr James Murray, Managing Director, Soft Tissue Centre ... — Strategies for engagement and improving return to work outcomes
New to Return to Work Matters and would like ... Despite the best efforts of the return to work manager, ... James Murray, Director Soft Tissue centre, ...
How Should Pay Be Linked to Performance? ...
Coal workers ’ pneumoconiosis ... Clearer definitions will help improve quality of care and reduce variation in patient outcomes between centres ...
Workers' compensation data; National return to ... in your workplace during Safe Work Australia ... in soft tissue therapy treating people ...
CUSTOM WRITING SERVICE. ... research papers, term papers, course works, reviews, theses and more, so our main mission is to help you succeed academically.
... 113 filed workers' compensation ... program for workers with soft-tissue ... with return-to-work and health outcomes among survivors ...
... strategic approaches to improve return to work and the worker's health ... Improving RTW Outcomes ... James Murray, Director Soft Tissue centre, ...