Published on September 6, 2015
1. mMCH: mobile Maternal Child Health The Cali-Cuttas Anjuli Dasika, Nick Reid, Jackie Wolf, Joyo University of Michigan Global Information Engagement Program 2015
2. Our Team Jackie Wolf User Experience Designer Nick Reid Health Communication Developer Anjuli Dasika Health Behavior Specialist
3. Public Health Challenges ● Maternal and child mortality are persistent problems ● Especially poor health metrics in rural areas ● Exacerbated by: ● Minimal access to health services ● Inadequate data collection---especially for MCH
4. ICT Challenges ● Barriers between rural areas and health services is physical and technological ● Real-time data collection and transfer is nonexistent ● Low internet connectivity in rural areas ● Issues with technological capacity ● Purpose of our project: ● Improving communication across health spheres ● Gathering timely, high-quality MCH (and general community) health data
5. Research on Related Work Mobile Kunji Medic Mobile
6. ● Health organization running multiple clinics in West Bengal ● Created WHIMS to coordinate care
7. iKure Information Flow ● Supports delivering care to rural communities ● Creates real time health information system
8. iKure Strategy Goal: Better allocate health resources Data Analytics
9. iKure Strategy Clinical Decision Support Goal: Use data to improve patient care
10. Partner Expectations ● Support Data Collection with WHIMS ● Use the technology they support for their CHWs ● Android Tablet App ● Research Maternal-Child Health ● Socio-Technical Capacity ● Understand Community Assets
11. Goals and Objectives ● Improving MCH ● Timely communication across iKure’s sectors ● Technology models that can be used in a variety of rural Indian settings What we wish to answer: ● Can technology solve problems of low health care access and inefficient data collection?
12. Process Expert Interviews Design Probes User Interviews Agile Development Usability Tests Documentation Training
13. Pilot #1 Scope ● Foster informal information sharing ● Save information for reuse ● Create geography independent communication channel Stack Overflow for CHWs
14. Pilot #1 Assumptions ● Minimal power dynamic between CHW and MD allows for questions to be asked ● CHWs will be able to vocalize questions ● IVR and SMS-based applications are sustainable and accessible options
15. Pilot #2 Scope Where’s my Health Camp? Allow community members to “pull” information about next or nearest spot clinic
16. Pilot #2 Assumptions ● Word of mouth insufficient means of communication ● Push SMS will not work because SIM cards are changed too often ● iKure needs more structure when planning spot clinics
17. What We Want to Learn ● How can we tailor a program for a community’s health literacy level? ● How can we support trusted relationships in a community? ● How do we find the value that our work provides to the community? ● How do we define the value that communities have for access to health resources?
to support maternal health projects in ... overall access to maternal healthcare for rural women. Mobile phones ... Maternal and Child Health ...
... and at any time they have several ongoing research projects. ... issues in maternal and child health and to the ... introduction of the ...
1.3 Maternal and Child Health program changes 6 ... Act 2005 and the introduction of Child ... ‘Maternal Child Health Centre’ means a centre where ...
AND CHILD HEALTH IN TANZANIA Introduction Maternal, ... Newborn and Child Health Strategic Plan ... Existence of vertical programme/projects support ...
Global health is the health of ... to 2015 are estimated to hold for 97% of worldwide maternal and child ... Introduction to Global Health.
Mobile health (mHealth) ... messages to influence maternal health behaviors. The project was part ... excellence to provide maternal and child health ...
Maternal health is closely ... The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Maternal, Newborn & Child Health program works to expand coverage of high ...
Maternal and child health CARE initiative ... and other partner organisations to secure accessible and quality maternal and child healthcare among ...
It will also support mobile nurses ... said it was launched as a pilot project ... resulting in improved quality of maternal and child health care ...