Published on June 2, 2016
1. Bitmaps Introduction to Redis Data Structures:
2. What is Redis? ● Open Source, NoSQL Database ● Used by: Twitter, Pinterest, GitHub ● Stores Advanced Data Structures ● Client Support: Java, C, Node.js etc Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps
3. What are Bitmaps? ● Also called Bit Arrays/Vectors ● Helps map boolean information into a compact representation ● Widely used when memory space is a premium ● Largest Domain Support: 232 bits Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps
4. Common Use Cases for Bitmaps ● Provide extreme savings when storing information ● Real Time Analytics (GetSpool Blog) ● Large size MOOC ● Space Efficient, High Performance Boolean Information Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps
5. Bit Operations in Redis ● SETBIT ● GETBIT ● BITOP ● BITCOUNT ● BITPOS Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps
6. Internal Implementation ● Redis strings are implemented as Binary Safe Strings ● Internally called Simple Dynamic String (SDS) ● native char ● More Details here Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps
7. Redis Sets vs Redis Bitmaps ● Sets are easier to manage, program & debug ● Work well for most apps ● Small to medium size data structures ● > 232 Bits Domain Size Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps ● Bitmaps are suitable over a large number of keys ● Depends on size & performance of keys
8. Summary ● Redis Bitmaps provide Useful & Powerful functionality when memory space is a premium ● Not supported directly but in the form of Redis Strings ● Best for platforms that need real-time analytics and huge data sets likes MOOCs ● Prefer Redis Sets for Simple Scenarios Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Bitmaps
9. Sign Up for a free 30 day Trial Thanks for reading! Full Article here Hosting & management for MongoDB® and Redis®. NoSQL management Simplified.
*An introduction to Redis data types and abstractions. Redis is not a plain key-value store, actually it is a data structures server, supporting different ...
*Introduction to Redis. Redis is an open source (BSD licensed), in-memory data structure store, used as database, cache and message broker. It supports ...
NoSQL (mongodb, redis) management and scaling on public and private clouds
Internals. Since bitmap operations don’t have a data structure of their own, there isn’t a special data structure to describe. The Redis strings ...
Redis bitmaps map boolean information for a huge domain into a compact representation. It is a very popular data structure whenever memory space is at a ...
Bitmaps (also called bit arrays, bit vectors etc.) is the data structure that immediately pops in your head when the need is to map boolean information for ...
Introduction to Redis Data Structures: Sets October 5, 2015 data structures, Redis, set, sets. ... Copyright © 2016 Platform as a Service Magazine.
Introduction to Redis. Redis is much more than a key-value store; it offers several data structures that can be used. This introduction will cover the ...
LikeRedis Sets, Redis hashes too are implemented as dictionaries. Dictionaries in Redis are implemented as hash tables that use the hash function ...