Published on June 2, 2016
1. Internet and social media NITTTR, Chennai By Prime Point Srinivasan 02 June 2016
2. What we will discuss • Global internet scenario • Internet tools • Advantages and challenges • Protecting from social media
3. Global Internet scenario • Out of 7.3 billion population, 46% use internet globally • 30% internet penetration in India • 32% in Bangladesh
4. Internet tools • Websites • Wikipedia • Blogs • Podcasts
5. Internet tools • Online groups • eNewsletters / eMagazines • Social Media
6. Three era • Before arrival of internet (Aug 95) • From launch of internet to emergence of Facebook/twitter (1995 to 2004/2006) • Post Facebook /Twitter
7. Websites • 1.5 bn Top Level domains (TLDS) com, org, net, info, biz, us • Country specific domain names • How to book your domain name? • Search Engine optimisation
8. Wikipedia • Wikiwikiweb by Cunnigham in 1995 – editable website • Wikipedia Started in 2001 – 5+ M articles in English • 292 languages – 38 M articles
9. Wikipedia • 62 M registered users • 500 M unique visitors per month • Generally considered accurate, controversies remain
10. Blogs • Blogger and WordPress platforms • Best for improving the writing skills • Declining blogs after social media
11. Podcasts • Audio and video blogs • Narrowcasting • Simple tools needed • Ideal for education purposes
12. Online Groups • Yahoo groups and Google groups • Earlier, the groups were used by Universities for exchange of views • Online groups are ideal for education purposes
13. eMagazines / eNewsletters • Concept of Digital only magazines emerging • Easy to handle and distribute • Ideal for education purposes
14. Social Media • Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn • YouTube • Google+
15. Social Media • 500 million status updates / day • 300 milion emails per day (80% spam) • 250 millions photo uploads / day
16. Internet is a double edged weapon
17. What are the advantages of social media?
18. Social Media Advantages • Easy connectivity • Plenty of resources and information • User generated content • Viral effect • Any more?
19. What are the challenges and negative aspects of social media
20. Social Media challenges • Used mostly under age group of 30 • Youth getting addicted – Spending unproductive time • Not able to differentiate between real word and virtual word
21. Social media challenges • Social media has killed the writing skills of youngsters (using 140 character tweets) • New social media language has emerged.
22. Social Media challenges • links sent through facebook or twitter messages may contain virus. • Marketing people believe the ‘likes’ shown in the FB page. (they are exaggerated) • Negative comments on FB page.
23. Social Media challenges • Defamation / character assassination through social media. • Spamming – sending unwanted and irrelevant junk messages
24. How to protect ourselves • Keep complicated password – do not share with others • Young ladies can avoid posting photos and contact details
25. How to protect yourself • Do not share private details like date of birth, family members name, etc. • Review your friends in FB every month and remove unwanted friends.
26. How to protect yourself • Avoid linking with apps in social media – you are allowing access to your data through apps. • Confine within your limits • Do not share your passwords with anybody
27. You cannot stop the technology and growth of social media. You can enjoy the full benefit of social media by planned usage. How to do it?
28. Avoid addiction to internet -treat social media like shoes – use only when you need
29. Thank you K. Srinivasan Prime Point Foundation www.corpezine.com www.poduniversal.com firstname.lastname@example.org 91766 50273
Regular Security News Social Media Tools: ... Memorial Day 2016; Avast security news ... Zero Proof Of Concept Microsoft Internet Explorer divide by zero ...
Social Media; WWW.EARTHLINK.NET. ... EarthLink Business' leading-edge Internet, ... © 2016 EarthLink. All rights reserved.
... The Economist ranked NUS Business School as 87th globally and 2nd in Singapore, ... In June 2000, the Faculty of ... NUS uses Internet 2 technology to ...
Faculty Profile; Research; Samvad Journal; MDP. Objectives; List of Clients; Contact ; Alumni. Overview; Illustrious Alumni; Contact Us; Recruiters ...
The synergy between broadcast and social media ... MEDIA DELIVERY SYSTEMS. Day 3 | 2 June 2016 ... in Media, Technology and Internet business ...
... TOI brings the top news headlines from India on Politics ... of this government are creation of social ... Srinivasan confirmed ...
Work–family balance of Indian women software professionals: ... points out that family structures and female roles vary across ... (2nd ed.) Blackwell ...
Jonathan Levin, former chair of the Stanford Department of Economics, will be the tenth dean of Stanford Graduate School of Business
... Proposed since April 2016. ... Gender inequality in India is a multifaceted issue that concerns men and women ... Internet; Films about social issues;