Published on October 21, 2014
1. License No. 045127 School Safety: Insights from a Newtown Parent and a National Crisis Responder Thursday, October 16, 2014 1 Dr. Scott Poland Associate Professor Nova Southeastern University Michele Gay Founder Safe and Sound Schools Presented by:
2. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative December 14, 2012
3. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
4. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative Practice off-site evacuation
5. License No. 045127 Prepare to step into each other’s roles ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
6. License No. 045127 reunification Plan ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative for
7. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative “The Standard Reunification Method” iloveuguys.org I Love U Guys Foundation
8. License No. 045127 b What had happened? Conference Room Front Office Entrance General Area of Shootings Cafeteria Gymnasium PE Classes ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
9. License No. 045127 We default to our level of ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative and knowledge training
10. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative Simple measures save lives can
11. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative How is an emergency announced?
12. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
13. License No. 045127 Not here. ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
14. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
15. License No. 045127 First responders are essential in preparation, response & recovery ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
16. License No. 045127 is as critical as team, recovery a response team A ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative
17. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative safeandsoundschools.org
18. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative 68,000,000 children are separated from their parents each work day Source: Carolyn Miles, president and CEO Save the Children. We must ensure that they are reunited at the end of the day.
19. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative in the United States in Source: National Fire Academy. NO ONE HAS DIED IN A SCHOOL FIRE 56 years. We have made our schools safer from fire emergencies through better education and preparation. In the same way, we can improve ALL areas of school safety.
20. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative lack basic measures to safeguard children in child care and schools Source: Save the Children Disaster Report Card, 2013. 28 STATES 28 Most school communities are at a loss for where to start. Start here, start together.
21. License No. 045127 98% of school shootings are perpetrated by Source: NYPD: Active Shooter, Recommendations and Analysis for Risk Mitigation, 2012. ONE INDIVIDUAL The harmful actions of one person can be prevented and mitigated ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative by education, preparation, and teamwork.
22. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative 5-6 MINUTES is the national average arrival response time to an emergency Source: U.S. Department of Justice, National Crime Victimization Survey, 2008. Education and preparation for these minutes can save lives.
23. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative Our Model: Straight A Safety
24. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative Our Toolkits
25. License No. 045127 ©2013 Safe and Sound: A Sandy Hook Initiative Follow us: Be a part of our mission: Donate Subscribe to our BLOG and Newsletter Email firstname.lastname@example.org Join us: safeandsoundschools.org
26. License No. 045127 USA Today Cover Story 3/1/12: He Was Just an Average Kid •Chardon High School in Ohio 3 killed and 2 wounded •What do we know about school shooters and are they average kids? •Is it appropriate to place a picture of a school shooter on the cover of a national publication? •What do the parents of shooting victims call for?
27. License No. 045127 Why Kids Kill by Peter Langman Palgrave Macmillan (2009) •Based on his study of 10 school shooters that killed 74 and wounded 92 •Rampage acts best understood as a result of their personalities and life history •Hypothesized there are three types of shooters
28. License No. 045127 Types of Shooters •Psychopathic—narcissistic without a conscience—aspiring to be godlike—paranoid, sadistic with antisocial personality traits •Psychotic—avoidant, schizotypal and dependent personality traits—paranoid delusions, auditory hallucinations—depressed and full of rage
29. License No. 045127 Third Type •Traumatized Shooters—suffered emotional and physical abuse at home—were sexually abused—lived with ongoing stress and losses— parents had substance abuse problems-- frequent moves—lost parent to separation, jail and death—trauma history resulted in suicidal thoughts
30. License No. 045127 Violence Key Points •Increase in violent incidents around the world intended to kill 2 or more people •Warning signs in violent fantasies, mental illness, distorted sense of what is just and severe interpersonal conflicts •Signs of trouble include aggression, interest in obtaining guns, collecting posters of school shooters and being a social loner •Mass murderers are almost always suicidal •11th commandment for gun owners: Lock guns away from disturbed and mentally ill individuals
31. License No. 045127 School Safety Examples •Create safety task force and include students •Survey staff and students •Teach students to deescalate fights •Use student safety and anti-bullying pledges •Floor plan exercise •Sidney, NY example •CFISD The Force
32. License No. 045127 32 Prior Knowledge of School Violence Study •81% of time at least one person had prior knowledge of planned attack and 59% of time more than one person had knowledge •Only 4% with prior knowledge tried to dissuade the attacker •Many with prior knowledge did not believe it could happen •School connections effected whether or not adults were told (examples)
33. License No. 045127 Suggestions for Parents •Limit adolescent privacy •Limit exposure to media violence •Don’t lie to protect your child •Follow through with due process •Pay attention to what the schools says and seek mental health treatment when it is recommended •Lock up the guns in your home especially if you have a child with mental health issues
34. License No. 045127 Suggestions for Schools •Recognize anyone can stop a school shooting •Create a threat assessment team and do a thorough assessment of threats •Recognize rehearsal and planning of attacks •Recognize that physical security alone is not the answer •Implement suicide and bullying prevention programs •Good communication and positive culture at school is preventative •Implement anonymous tip lines
35. License No. 045127 More Suggestions •Arm teachers not with guns but with school resource officers and mental health support services •Know the real stats on school violence •Limit access to school buildings and implement meet and greet procedures •Increase student participation in school safety and utilize pledges and surveys •Plan crisis drills that are not scary
36. License No. 045127 •Increase mental health services at school and in the community •The 4th R is relationships and it is important to know all students well and to have all students feel connected to their school •The school should be place that students like and do not want to blow up! More Suggestions
37. License No. 045127 Murder/ Suicide: Suicide Is Primary •Violence is premeditated/predatory •“If I am to die then it is virtuous that they do too” The perversion of virtue by T. Joiner (2014, Oxford press) •Murder suicide 4 types interpersonal virtue •Justice and Glory most common for school shooters.
38. License No. 045127 School Shooters •Justice (“soon I will be dead but it is not fair that those who deeply wronged me go unpunished”) Cho’s statements that rich kids are deceitful charlatans engaged in debauchery. He stated his evil plan was actually good! •Glory example Eric Harris said,” people will die because of me and this day will be remembered forever”!
39. License No. 045127 “We must reach out to the unreachable!” Craig Scott Columbine Survivor Keys to prevention are getting disillusioned youth involved in activities, finding a job and establishing social ties!
40. License No. 045127 Resources Suicide Prevention Resource Center www.sprc.org Signs of Suicide www.mentalhealthscreening.org Suicide and Violence Prevention Office Nova Southeastern University www.nova.edu/suicideprevention 40
41. License No. 045127 41 Questions? Disclaimer – Keenan & Associates is an insurance brokerage and consulting firm. It is not a law firm or an accounting firm. We do not give legal advice or tax advice and neither this presentation, the answers provided during the Question and Answer period, nor the documents accompanying this presentation constitutes or should be construed as legal or tax advice. You are advised to follow up with your own legal counsel and/or tax advisor to discuss how this information affects you.
42. License No. 045127 42 Contact Information Scott Poland •Email: email@example.com •Website: www.nova.edu/suicideprevention Michele Gay •Email: firstname.lastname@example.org •Website: www.safeandsoundschools.org
43. License No. 045127 Innovative Solutions. Enduring Principles. 43 Thank you for your participation!
School Safety Track: Insights from a Newtown Parent and a National Crisis Responder ... which was formed by parents who tragically lost their children ...
National; Press; Donate; Contact ... the Newtown Parent Connection is to educate and empower our community in the prevention of substance abuse and to ...
crisis responders to the workplace ... is the objective of crisis interventions. • Crisis intervention is ... crisis, will provide valuable insight into ...
Discuss these problems before a crisis occurs. This offers parents an ... National Committee for Citizens in ... and insights about possible
... and emergency responders to be ... Former Sandy Hook superintendent, Newtown police ... with local and national resources to ...
CT State Police confirmed for a Sandyhook presentation: SCHOOL SHOOTING INSIGHT ... PRESENTATION WEDNESDAY, JULY ... responders, will share their insights ...
... which helps people during times of crisis. ... Program Presentations; ... dogs and 10 handlers to Newtown to help children, parents, ...