Published on January 27, 2016
1. Initiating a Successful Project for VoIP Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC By Jeff Salazar
2. Where Do You Begin? • Select a Project Manager. • Determine company culture and existing systems. • Divide your project into phases. • Uncover initial requirements, assumptions, risks, constraints and existing agreements. • Assess project and product feasibility within the given constraints. • Create measurable objectives. • Understand the business case. • Develop your project charter. • Identify stakeholders, and determine expectations, influence and impact. © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. Source: RMC “Rita’s Process Chart”, 2013 2
3. Challenges, Risks and Critical Success Factors In 2006, Mark Hurd, then chairman and CEO at HP, said ‘the number one risk factor in any organization is lack of accurate information’. © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. Source: Axelos “ITIL Service Strategy”, 2011 Edition. 3
4. IT Spending, How Do You Stack Up? © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. Source: Gartner • The average company spends about 4% of gross revenue on IT. • The industries that spend the most on IT are financial services, IT and telecommunications. • The typical firm spends about $6,600 per year per employee on IT. • IT head count comprises 5% to 7% of the total employee population in the typical enterprise. 4
5. Operational Benefits of IP Telephony In this example a university with $58 million in annual revenue with four locations that required 800 handsets. • Moves, Adds and Changes. • Voice Trunks • Equipment Maintenance • Local Loops Five-year Financial Gain: $2,699,186 Savings Category Annual Savings MAC $107,429 Voice Trunks $493,071 Equipment Maintenance $14,286 Local Loops $30,343 © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. Source: Nemertes Research 5
6. Best Practice: Align with PMBOK® Framework Initiating Process Group Planning Process Group Executing Process Group Monitoring and Controlling Process Group Closing Process Group © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. Source: PMI PMBOK Guide Fifth Edition, 2013 Have your service provider prepare a VoIP project plan that meets the specific business requirements and goals of the initiative and completion of the deliverables. 6
7. Focus on Results Conduct hands-on meetings to share information concerning the impending rollout. Ensure adequate tools and templates exist to support the execution of activities.
8. Optimize Project Pace and Schedule Minimize disruption by planning your IP transition to follow your LAN infrastructure upgrades by a few weeks.
9. Leadership Alignment: Initiate a Project Web Site Create a SharePoint Web Site • Create a SharePoint that will serve as a central source for anyone who wants information on the project. • Explain how the organization will differ as a result. • State the project benefits. Provide Status Reports • Percentage of users on new system. • “IP Phone Tip of the Week” and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) • General information: timelines, project scope, project goals. © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. Source: Cisco “The Road to IP Telephony”, 2004 9
10. Best Practice: Day 2 Handoff and Support Team The key to a successful handoff as you migrate from PBX to IP Telephony is to have a support team in place that has been involved on the project from the beginning that is separate from your team installing the new phone system. Best practice: Implement an ITIL change management software system and ITIL processes with three levels of support. Tier 1 – Help desk with focus on ‘first call’ resolution that takes the initial users call, opens a support ticket and provides basic support and troubleshooting. Tier 2 – Consists of multiple skill sets and includes ‘feet on the street’ for break/fix, configuration issues and repair, and is staffed 24 hours a day. Tier 3 – The highest level of escalation for VoIP. A hybrid team is best, with a mix of Voice and Data professionals. Includes the design engineers, and people involved in the original design. © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. 10
11. What to Watch Out For Disconnection and removal of critical phones that are unidentified or unassigned can backfire on your project team. Not conducting quality gates with your voice/data engineers during the final two weeks before rollout. Technical issues related to the LAN that arise during the day of installation. © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. 11
12. Clean House Validate the talents on your team are well versed in all aspects of your VoIP project before you begin. Trace and disconnect all noncritical lines that are identified or unassigned. Understand and make changes to your operational security policy. Put in place a standard naming convention for identifying phones on your network (lobby phones, break room phones, emergency phones, etc.) © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. 12
13. Thank you! www.telcosourcing.com +1 (844) 276 0544 (toll-free from the United States) +1 (720) 379 1612 (outside the United States) © 2015 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. 13
... The Global VoIP Industry 2016 Market Research ... Initating a Successful Project for VoIP 2016. ... Initiating a Successful Project for VoIP in 2016.
Learn about working at Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC. ... 2016 Telco Sourcing Advisors, LLC All rights reserved. ... Initiating a Successful Project for VoIP.
01/2016. Dauer: 6 months + Von ... Initiating, planning and ... Your experience/skills:3+ years proven IP Networking and IPT / VoIP experience in project ...
... IT Infrastructure / IP / VoIP ... [Durch die Qualitätssicherung am 06.02.2016 offline gegangen. Grund: Startdatum in Vergangenheit.] Project ...
They suggest that 75% of all US IT projects are considered to be failures by those responsible for initiating ... of successful project ... 2016 Project ...
VOIP Project Manager Aylesbury ... for providing successful implementations for my client's high ... of the Aspire Media Group. © 2016 ...
PM Topics. Introduction to ... This section of the Successful Projects web site is dedicated to helping students understand ... Copyright 2016 by ...
.The best VoIP service provider is Vitel Global, you just concentrate on your projects in hand, ... 2016 • By Aiyaz Mohammad •
The planning process group sets forth ... soon after initiating a project, ... in the landscape of the project through one successful phase of ...