Published on September 21, 2015
1. © 2015 IBM Corporation IBM Academy of Technology International Conference FSMOA 2015 Fuzzy Sets, Multivalued Operations, and Applications to Social Sciences September 15- 18, 2015, University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy IBM Academy of Technology & Cognitive Computing Domenico (Nico) Chillemi Executive IT Specialist ITS Italy Profession Leader Member IBM Academy of Technology zChampion Member Technical Eminence Champion Italian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics Managing Board Chief firstname.lastname@example.org
2. © 2015 IBM Corporation IBM Academy of Technology International Conference FSMOA 2015 Fuzzy Sets, Multivalued Operations, and Applications to Social Sciences September 15- 18, 2015, University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy Born Study Work Who is Domenico Chillemi, known as Nico
3. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology My IBM professional background IBM Mainframe 50 years old on 2014 Strong Batch experience Graduated in Mathematics at University of Messina (Italy) Thesis: Hyperfields & their Homomorphisms, Prof. P. Corsini & Prof. F. De Maria Member of
4. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology University
5. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology Twitter with Italian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics Prof. Corsini news New journal issues information Journal changes New Editorial Board Members Top journal contributors news Events Helpdesk Editorial Board interactions ...and more Expected to grow In Future Through cross-University collaboration Follow @ijpamitaly on Twitter
6. © 2015 IBM Corporation IBM Academy of Technology International Conference FSMOA 2015 Fuzzy Sets, Multivalued Operations, and Applications to Social Sciences September 15- 18, 2015, University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy IBM Academy of Technology
7. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology IBM Academy of Technology 7 • The IBM Academy of Technology (AoT) is an internal IBM worldwide organization, done with the highest technical talents inside IBM • The selection process is very hard every year and only a few people are selected to join the organization • Selected members are recognized as eminent technology thought leaders that have an enduring impact on the IT industry that makes the world better • IBM AoT mission is following the best of innovation, helping IBM to make revenue, but also working to support innovation in the best technical areas inside Information Technology • IBM AoT Organization • Academy Leadership Team members (WW) • Academy of Technology members (WW) • Academy Affiliates (at country level)
8. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology IBM Academy of Technology Talent Eminence Involvement 8 • One of the IBM Academy of Technology objectives is increasing eminence of all IBM technical population • Eminence can increase with a strong impact on business, life and people, but in an era like the current one this is not enough • Social networks, smart phones, tablets and computing dominate the actual decade Source: Radio Tweet Italia - http://www.radiotweetitalia.com/socialmediaemusica/ • For all these reasons the IBM AoT is strongly committed with Social Media
9. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology IBM AoT & Universities Collaborations 9 • The IBM Academy of Technology often collaborates with external companies and organizations, in particular Universities • Being a high technical organization, the AoT every years needs to deal with the most impacting technical topics • Every year the AoT is committed in working with the top 10 identified technical themes, where external collaboration is very important • Please don’t hesitate to contact me for any type of collaboration with IBM anyone of you and your departments would like to start
10. We maintain continuity in 2014 by carrying over 7 themes which will be “explanded” from last year and introducing three new themes: Cognitive Business, New SW Models and IT Infrastructure of Tomorrow 2013 2014 Analytics Cloud Computing Mobile Computing User Experience Integration by Design Artificial Intelligence Internet of Things Social Media Intelligent Automation Digital Transformation Wearable Computing Information Mngt & Storage Energy & Green Comp. Business Applications Platforms Systems of Engagement Security and Privacy Cognitive Business New SW Models IT Infrastructure of Tomorrow 2015 Top 10 Themes2012 Academy of Technology Top 10 Themes for 2015 • Look at #IBMAoT Twitter hashtag
11. © 2015 IBM Corporation IBM Academy of Technology International Conference FSMOA 2015 Fuzzy Sets, Multivalued Operations, and Applications to Social Sciences September 15- 18, 2015, University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy Cognitive computing
12. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology Get familiar with Cognitive
13. IBM Confidential 22/04/14 Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/meet-the-world-s-most-connected-man- Vs~LzkbkR7yhjza~7nji1g.html Meet the World's Most Connected Man
14. Data growth and gravity distorts and impacts every component of IT – and business Has data a gravity?
15. Data at the edge is changing how we look at data and how computing will evolve 90% By 2017 Of data created over the last 10 years was never captured or analyzed The collective computing and storage capacity of smartphones will surpass all worldwide servers 60% 2X Of valuable sensory data loses value in milliseconds Rate of data creation compared to the expansion of bandwidth over the past decade
16. Source: "The Relative Contribution of Multiple Determinants to Health Outcomes", Lauren McGover et al., Health Affairs, 33, no.2 (2014) 60% 30% 10% Clinical data Genomics data Exogenous data 1,100 Terabytes 6 TB 0.4 TB Per lifetime Influence on outcomes Example: Rapid Growth of exogenus data is transforming healthcare
17. Clinical data Genomics data Exogenous data Glucose Monitoring Calorie Intake Stress Levels Physical Activity Other vital signs Social Interaction Affinity (retail) Sleep Pattern Employer (HR) Disease management and treatment Behavioral change and prevention 60% Influence on outcomes Leveraging Exogenous Data for Chronic Care (Type 2 Diabetes; Primary & Secondary Prevention)
18. How to manage the new complexity? Cognitive Computing is the answer
19. TIC Cognitive systems are able to learn their behavior through education That support forms of expression that are more natural for human interaction Whose primary value is their expertise; and That continue to evolve as they experience new information, new scenarios, and new responses Learn & Improve Speed & Scale Interact in a natural way Assist & Augment Cognitive computing principles
20. Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPgp4A1vxls New Customer Agent
21. New Oncologist Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbqDknMc_Bo
22. JIBOAmazon Echo Cognitive computing Personal/Family Agents Sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOCeAtKHIc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1Q8oFpX1Y
23. Passage What are the requirements for car insurance in Kentucky? FAQs (aka TOA) What are your visiting hours? Directed Can you walk me through installing a new app on my phone? Actions I want to submit a claim! Factoid Who is known as the father of modern psychology? Definition What is an algebric structure? Knowledge What is the capital of Texas? Yes/No Do I need a visa to enter Brazil? Query What is the highest priced phone offered by Samsung? Calculated What is ½ Teaspoon of Tarragon in Grams? Visual Who is this [person I have showing a picture of]? State What is my current data usage? Prediction What level of customer churn will we see next quarter? Questions & Answers challenges as cognitive information
24. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology IBM Watson Braving Men! IBM Academy of Technology is committed in Cognitive Business
25. Develop hardware and software systems with the intent of reach and superate human intelligence Develop systems able to make us much more productive! Strong approach Information-based Intelligence Where Cognitive computing come from? Artificial intelligence
26. First used approach, based on logical and mathematical programming, thinking technologies, learning, planning and so on... Many research efforts have been done until years ‘60 and ‘70 in several worls Universities, thinking that the problem was the speed of computers This made IT companies think that,when computers would have reached an extremely high calculation and decision speed, then the result would have arrived This partially wrong believe was the cause of failures in the previous millennium, although efforts of Japanish companies Something more than speed was needed Strong approach for Artificial Intelligence
27. Information Based Intelligence Statistic methodologies, based to computational mathematical calculation with very strong algoritms and high performances Scalability, that means more information are available, more powerful are computers, much more sophisticated can be mathematical algoritms taking to better results Knowledge, based on the huge quantity of information the computer is able to ingest in order to produce valid interpretation of data to pass for example to physical experiments • Evolution in the years - Data mining around ’90 - IBM Deep Blue just before 2000 - IBM Watson in this millennium (from 2011)
28. © 2010 IBM Corporation Chess – Mathematical environment well defined – Moves are limited and can be stored and analyzed – It is possible to give a mathematical definition to all types of moves in order to enable knowledge base Human language – Every word has a limited meaning, when available – Understand human language is a fundamental deep task we all perform day by day – Combining words gives huge meaning opportunities – Computers cannot do the same task of a human, but are able to interpret information much faster based on rules set by humans Photo--Illustration credits to: http://divinoscrivere.wordpress.com/2008/11/ Photo--Illustration credits to: http://tekw.org/scacchi-online-con-flash-chess-3/ Mathematics important basis of cognitive
29. Origin of IBM Watson Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHahhixeQZs
30. • 3 guys play a match, based on 3 games, where they have to answer to some difficult questions, where a human has to test his cross knowledge of arguments •One of the 3 guys chooses a specific «category» of unknown questions, plus a level of difficulty from 1 to 5 •The presenter makes the question, and who books first the possibility to talk gives the answer, winning or losing the associated money based on the answer •Of course the winner is the guy who earned more money •The first development of Watson by IBM was done to be tested with Jeopardy, so you saw Watson as one of the playing guys with a strongly enhanced human behaviour, based on its cognitive engine How to play to Jeopardy
31. celebrated India In May 1898 400th anniversary arrival in Portugal arrived in India In May In May, Gary arrived in India after he celebrated his anniversary in Portugal. Garyexplorer celebrated anniversary in Portugal In May 1898 Portugal celebrated the 400th anniversary of this explorer’s arrival in India. Keyword Matching Keyword Matching Keyword Matching Keyword Matching Keyword Matching Evidence suggests that “Gary” could be the answer. BUT a good system must also understand that just considering matching words without mathematics or correlations is not enough to obtain the right answer! Question Evidence Hypotesis of answer based on facts and evidences in text
32. On the 27th of May 1498, Vasco da Gama landed in Kappad Beach. On the 27th of May 1498, Vasco da Gama landed in Kappad Beach. celebrated India May 1898 400th anniversary arrival in Portugal landed in 27th May 1498 Vasco da Gama Temporal Reasoning Statistical Paraphrasing GeoSpatial Reasoning explorer Make the search more perfect Extend hypotesis possibilities Use different algorithms Evaluate evidences On the 27th of May 1498, Vasco da Gama landed in Kappad Beach. Kappad Beach In May 1898 Portugal celebrated the 400th anniversary of this explorer’s arrival in India. Data math Parapharase GeoKB Anyway, this is not yet 100% sure! Other facts and evidences might be found! With the support of mathematics and correlations, the answer gets much better taking to “Vasco da Gama” Question Evidence! Mathematics and correlations mandatory element to build a cognitive system
33. Engine to generate and evaluate «answers hypotesis» combining more than 100 different alghoritms of language analysis, information retrieval, machine learning and reasoning. Analytics resources collect, evaluate, estabilish weight and balance different types of evidences in order to give the best possible answer where all information stored and elaborable by its cognitive intelligence concurr to the result. Answer Scoring Models Answer & Confidence Question Evidence Sources Models Models Models Models Models Primary Search Candidate Answer Generation Hypothesis Generation Hypothesis and Evidence Scoring Final Confidence Merging & Ranking Synthesis Answer Sources Question & Topic Analysis Evidence Retrieval Deep Evidence Scoring Learned Models help combine and weigh the Evidence Hypothesis Generation Hypothesis and Evidence Scoring Question Decomposition 1000’s of Pieces of EvidenceMultiple Interpretations 100,000’s Scores from many Deep Analysis Algorithms 100’s sources 100’s Possible Answers Balance & Combine Technology of Watson – A Massively Parallel Probabilistic Evidence-Based Architecture
34. Diagnosis supportDetecting Frauds Support discovery and analysis of evidence Analysis and correlation of criminal investigation facts and data Customer Service Knowledge management Several possible uses of IBM Watson Analytics • Analysis, decomposition and reconstruction of events • Generating Hypothesis • Knowledge management • Decision Support • Deep Q & A • Systems of questions and answers .... • On the right some examples
35. CogniToys Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tm5Xs5vIw
36. You can easily try yourself IBM Watson Analytics Create a free account for using IBM Watson – http://www.ibm.com/analytics/watson-analytics/ Confirm your email ID to IBM Watson Connect and watch the video Start your test with sample data or your data Connect with IBM Watson Analytics –Facebook –Twitter –LinkedIn
37. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology IBM IT Operations Analytics Cognitive to simplify life while performing problem determination
38. Centralized, Distributed, Cloud, Security, Social, Resilient Architectures Increase Data Volume Determining problems in the third millennium 38 Where do I start?? Everything is “green” It’s SLOW!! 404 ERROR Determining problems using analytics blog: http://ibm.co/1LBiiBQ
39. Too many data in system logs
40. How to make problem determination faster with a machine The IBM IT Operation Analytics Cognitive tool INGESTS big data information coming from system logs A google-like USER INTERFACE is available for search - Ingested data - Manuals - Internet The user interface transforms row data in readable information - Statistics - Sort and order information - Filter to go directly to the cause of the problem Several figures can use the tool - Systems Engineer - Subject Matter Expert - Application expert - Executive person
41. Search Workspace – Search, Navigate, Visualize Search specific logs or ALL logs Timeframe Enter search string Save My Search Simple search interface EASY to customize
42. Raw data after a search through the analytic system • The first search starts to simplify, but still too hard • Need of a better way to analyze what the system has learnt
43. Switch to List View Column headers derived from annotation Search Filters For easy drilldown on java exceptions Apps Filtered and ordered results and insights
44. Interactive Grid View Interactive grid Select Column and Chart Several chart options
45. IBM Support Portal based Expert Advice Launch to Technote All tech notes that reference message results from log search
46. © 2015 IBM Corporation IBM Academy of Technology International Conference FSMOA 2015 Fuzzy Sets, Multivalued Operations, and Applications to Social Sciences September 15- 18, 2015, University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy End, References & Thanks Domenico (Nico) Chillemi e-mail: email@example.com Twitter: @nicochillemi LinkedIn: https://it.linkedin.com/pub/domenico-chillemi/a/560/304 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/nicochillemi Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nico.chillemi.7 Personal Blog: http://nicochillemi.blogspot.com Work Blog: http://www.servicemanagement360.com/
47. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology Thanks for the help to... Amanda Tenedini –IBM Social Business Manager, Atlanta (USA) –Follow @AmandaTene on Twitter Pietro Leo –IBM AoT Technology Program Leader, Bari (ITA) –Follow @pieroleo on Twitter IBM Academy of Technology Team –Follow in Twitter https://twitter.com/IBMAoT & see the hashtag #IBMAoT
48. © 2015 IBM CorporationIBM Academy of Technology48 Thank You
IBM Academy of Technology homepage ... With the advent of cognitive computing, ... Cognitive Computing IBM Almaden Research Lab.
Our IBM Academy of Technology investigation ... and have enduring impact on IBM's future success. Technology ... Cognitive Computing for ...
Watson is a cognitive technology that processes information more like a human than a computer. Meet IBM Watson, a cognitive system ... cognitive computing?
IBM & Cognitive Computing ... university relations office and for the IBM Academy of Technology where I served as ... Science & Technology: IBM will ...
Cognitive computing educator guide. ... IBM Cognitive Solutions. IBM Cognitive Computing represents an ... IBM Watson is a technology platform that uses ...
Cognitive computing; Client programs; ... Research Areas. Computer Science; Group Name. Academy of Technology Conference. ... IBM Academy of Technology ...
Er berät seine Kunden in strategischen Themen wie Cognitive Computing, ... und ihre Rolle im IBM Academy of Technology Leadership Team auf die ...