Published on June 14, 2016
1. Running Student’s T-Test on SPSS http://www.palmx.org/drtamil/spss/ sga-ttest-youtube.sav
2. ©email@example.com 2016 Factors Affecting SGA SGA (Birth weight) Mother’s Nutrition (BMI/Obesity) •Weight •Height Smoking Hypertension
3. ©firstname.lastname@example.org 2016 Dependent Outcome Birth weight of the babies Small for gestational age i.e. less than 2.7kg for term babies – Y/N By Yehudamalul - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0,
4. ©email@example.com 2016 What test to use? Conduct the appropriate statistical test to test whether there is any association between BMI and OUTCOME (SGA/Normal).
5. ©firstname.lastname@example.org 2016 Factors Affecting SGA SGA (Y/N) (Birth weight) Mother’s Nutrition (BMI) Smoking (Y/N) Hypertension (Y/N)
6. ©email@example.com 2016 Suitable statistical test? Body Mass Index – interval/continuous data. Outcome is categorized into Yes (SGA babies) and No (Normal babies) Therefore it is categorical data. Basically we are comparing the mean mothers’ BMI between SGA and normal babies. Assuming BMI is normally distributed, most suitable test is Student’s t-test.
7. ©firstname.lastname@example.org 2016 Comparing BMI distribution
8. ©email@example.com 2016 Comparing mean BMI SGA 22.4 + 3.9 Normal 25.4 + 4.4
9. ©firstname.lastname@example.org 2016 Which t & p-value to use?
10. ©email@example.com 2016 t > than 1.96, p < than 0.05
11. ©firstname.lastname@example.org 2016 Conclusion Mothers of SGA babies has clearly smaller BMI (22.4 + 3.9) compared to mothers of normal babies (25.4 + 4.4). The difference is statistically significant since p value smaller than 0.05. Therefore mothers with lower BMI has a significantly higher risk of getting SGA babies compared to mothers with higher BMI. “Big Mothers Get Big Babies!”
12. ©email@example.com 2016 Exercise Repeat the same statistical test between; ◦ Weight and Outcome ◦ Height and Outcome
Independent T-Test using SPSS Statistics Introduction. ... Fortunately, when using SPSS Statistics to run an independent t-test on your data, ...
Using SPSS for t Tests. ... Because of these factors, we will use the paired samples t-test. Let SPSS calculate the value of t for you.
The generalization of "Student's" problem when several different population variances are involved. ... To run an Independent Samples t Test in SPSS, ...
Doing the T-Test Procedure in SPSS. Start SPSS. Analyze, Compare Means, Independent Samples T-Test ... Example SPSS Output for T-Test for Difference in Means.
The Student's t-test work was submitted to and accepted ... Student's original t-test is highly robust to ... Microsoft Excel, SAS, SPSS, Stata ...
Run an independent two sample t-test using SPSS. ... Run an independent two sample t-test using SPSS. ... Run an independent t-test in SPSS
spss > output > Spss_ttest.htm SPSS Annotated Output T-test. The t-test procedure performs t-tests for one sample, ...
This example teaches you how to perform a t-Test in Excel. The t-Test is used to test the null hypothesis that the means of two populations are equal.
Performs unpaired t test, Weldh's t test (doesn't assume equal variances) and paired t test. ... t test calculator. A t test compares the means of two groups.