Published on February 27, 2014
How to be a Social Media God Craig R. McClain @DrCraigMc
You$are$free$to:$ Copy,$share,$adapt,$or$re2mix;$ Photograph,$ﬁlm,$or$broadcast;$ Blog,$live2blog,$or$post$video$of;$ Provided$that:$ You$a?ribute$the$work$to$its$author$and$respect$the$rights$and$licenses$associated$with$its$components.$
Deep Sea News D Deep Sea News SN deepseanews.com @deepseanews #deepsn
1/3 of women aged 18-34 check Facebook when they first wake up ! ...even before going to the bathroom http://www.dailyillini.com/features/health_and_living/article_323b7fd8-966a-11e2-b435-001a4bcf6878.html
If Facebook were a country it would be the third most populated in the world ahead of the United States In Billions ! China 1.35 India 1.21 Facebook 1.06 U.S. 0.31 ! http://news.yahoo.com/number-active-users-facebookover-230449748.html
All media is now social media om wer away fr e po he s shifting th blishment, t nology i esta Tech lishers, the pub editors, the l. media elite. re in contro ho a he people w Now it's t ert Murdoch -Rup
So What Do I Do Online?
Social media is a tool like a microscope. It can be used well and badly. It can be used to do a lot of different things -Jon Eisen
* Inreach versus Outreach *James Brown has nothing to do with this. I simply have always wanted to put a photo of James Brown dancing in a presentation. I also want to make sure you are still awake.
What is your online mission? Personal? Outreach? Science? Consume, Share, Filter, Generate?
Assignment 1: Generate A List of What You Plan to Accomplish with Social Media ! ! Tweet It
12 General Rules of Online Engagement
If I Google You If IWhat Would I Find? Google You, What Would I Find? t to be or not. . n ether you wa one else is online wh 1.You’re on identity some curating your t t. 2.If you’re no your conten re you create 3.Make su
1. Make It Easy to Find the YOU You Want to be Found
A Personal Website. Your Home on the Web
Easy and free ways to get personal webpage Wordpress, Blogspot, Google, Snap Pages, Joomla, Weekly, Wix craigmcclain.com
2. The Internet is Big and Scary ...Find a Village
4. Find Your Niche and Story
5. Know Thy Information
6. You are not winning anybody over by being an @$$
7a. Remember internet is full of people who like to argue 7b. Not everyone is your friend. 7c. Know when and when not engage. 7d. Take it lightly.
8. Don’t Step On the Commons Let Your Audience Know When You Are Passing Information Along and When You Are Generating It
9. You Have 10 Seconds and/or 10 Words Deep Sea News ! D SN •At www.deepseanews.com the average length spent on the website in 2013 was 54 seconds •87.8% of visitors only read a single post. •Only 12% of page views were by returning visitors. •More than 50% of readers never commented and near 25% only commented one or twice Deep Sea •When surveyed readers were asked why they did not comment, “the reader did not feel qualiﬁed News (28.6%), the reader had nothing to add (25.7%), or the reader did not generally comment on blogs (17.1%).” •This suggests that social media engagement through blogs may be short, superﬁcial, and single serving.
re a es ds ien r rf ou y 1 emMemes Are Your Friends .M 0
11. Manage Your Streams
12. There is no substitute for the real world
•easy… •you probably already do it •can ask questions of colleagues •can push science to it
Crowd Sourcing Science
rd Ne st ru fT o
•Eavesdropping: follow informaRve people to get informaRon and learn •Dialogue: exchange, discuss, and debate informaRon (Asking speciﬁc quesRons?) •Broadcast: used by news organizaRons and businesses to inform audience about news or products/services, outreach •Data collecRon: e.g ﬁshermen using TwiYer to monitor ﬁsh populaRons. •Impromptu journalism: e.g. landing on Hudson river, Mumbai aYacks, Iran post-‐elecRon protests •MindcasRng: following a single story or topic, with links, for a period of Rme, e.g. like my ongoing coverage of the #oilspill “To do science, you have to know what’s going on in science. I found Twi9er…most useful for becoming informed of what other people are doing in science. By sharing comments, links, informaAon, and notes about new scienAﬁc developments with trusted sources I am be9er able to keep up with the vast amount of informaAon in my ﬁelds of interest. Social networks enable real-‐Ame highlighAng and ranking and tracking of what’s going on in the world of science.” -‐Jon Eisen
Twitter is the equivalent of drinking out of firehose
Anatomy of a Tweet @users DM Direct Message RT retweets MT modified tweet #hashtags #FF Follow Fridays ! @nytimesscience/general-science
ffic ra gt din uil S ps te rB fo Time Engagement Creation Profile Content
Should I Blog?
Unless the first thing and last thing you think about every day is writing, then don’t blog
starting a blog is easy... ...keeping it updated is not
1. Be Strategic. Be Deliberate. Mission Statement: ! Demystifying and humanizing science in an open conversation that instills passion, awe, and responsibility for the oceans. Deep Sea News 1. Direct from the bench and the trench. 2. Saying things others do not. 3. Reverently irreverent. 4. Promoting ocean literacy. 5. Perspective through a plurality of voices. 6. Awareness through scrutiny, not negativity. 7. Expanding the culture of ocean science. 8. Call to Action
2. Branding...Branding...Branding... Ángel Guerraa, Ángel F. Gonzáleza, Santiago Pascuala, and Earl G. Daweb (2011). The giant squid Architeuthis: An emblematic invertebrate that can represent concern for the conservation of marine biodiversity Biological Conservation, 144 (7), 1989-1998 :10.1016/j.biocon.2011.04.021
3. Find Your Niche & Story Reverently irreverent. We will be true to who we are in real life, leveraging humor to keep the science dialogue informal and accessible. “This "oh-so-hip" presentation of a very interesting phenomenon is regrettable. I stopped reading halway [sic] through it as I couldn't take any more. Just present the science. Tarting it up for people to read is pointless. Such readers have no value. Too bad, I would have liked to learn the real scinece [sic] presented here.”
4. Get Yourself A Super Team
5. Embrace the World Around You
6. Network + Good Story = Viral
7. Stop Taking Refuge In Our Irrelevance 588,737 Current Population of Miami: 413,892
Producing something popular on the internet is as much about passion as it is about good content. With passion and the right writing style, you can make any type of science cool. Deep Sea News
8. The deficit model is dead Stop shouting the same information more and more loudly
9. Stop Treating Outreach & Research as Separate Entities. ! We Need a New Formula Outreach Research Outreach Research What if we started to create differently? New graduate training, courses, lab cultures, and departments
Other Social Media Forms
More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month ! Over 4 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube ! 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
Video is a large time investment to do well, but the payoff can be huge
A George Washington University and Cision survey in 2009 also reported that 89% of journalists use blogs and 65% use social networks to research stories (Cision, 2009). ! A recent survey of journalists in the UK, France, and Germany showed that 60% use Wikipedia for fact checking articles (Dugan, 2010).
Now Go Out There And Get Social!
Deep Sea News http://deepseanews.com Deep Sea News D SN @DrCraigMc http://craigmcclain.com most images courtesy of ShutterStock
social media for engineers and scientists paperback might be safely held in your ... god literature guide jee mains paper 2 code k answer key 2014 Award ...
Social Media For Engineers And Scientists ... The Image Of God ... Essential Shakespeare The Arden Guide To Text And Interpretation Arden
Social Media For Engineers And Scientists ... Ben 10 Alien Force The Complete Guide [PDF] ... Paths To The Triune God An Encounter Between Aquinas And ...
Social Media For Engineers And Scientists ... Being God&Apos; ... The Ultimate Shipwreck Guide Whitby To Berwick
Web and Emerging Technology Resources for Scientists ... God: A Guide for Scientists (slides) Social ... Scientists using Social media on ...
For defunct social networking websites, ... Social network for LGBT community, guide for LGBT bars, ... Social network, social media, ...
Posts about Muslim Scientists written by ... Muslim Scientists, Pakistani Social Media Of Youth. 0. ... for the lovers of God, intuition is guide, ...
SOCIAL MEDIA FOR ENGINEERS AND SCIENTISTS PAPERBACK PDF ... let god by winn collier, one of ... a study guide in nuclear medicine by fuad s. ashkar, the