Published on February 19, 2014
How Nonprofits Drum Up Giving Through Social Media Raymund Flandez, Staff Writer The Chronicle of Philanthropy @raymundf23
What I Plan to Talk About ● ● ● ● 9 Case Studies Successes Challenges Next Steps
What I Don’t Plan to Talk About ● Why Your Nonprofit Should Use Social Networks to Raise Money ● Define the Various Social Networks ● Charity: Water
1. Create a mini-campaign on Twitter Grist ● Power Hour campaign ‘A mystery donor will give us $1K if 20 ppl donate in 1hr. Any amount!’ ● Microfundraising trend ● Using powerbrokers ● Need for huge base
2. Share the love Minnesota Public Radio ● Mobile-friendly donation page ● Ask why they support MPR ● Share responses on Twitter, Facebook ● Testimonials get RT’ed, used in ads
3. Find where your supporters are NAACP ● Going mobile ● Sharing viral images ● Tailoring messages through microsites: thisismyvote.org and NAACPconnect.org
4. Target for planned giving The San Antonio Area Foundation Richmond Jewish Foundation ● Twitter: free willpreparation workshop ● Twitter: learn re: DAFs
5. Build on your awareness efforts Human Rights Campaign ● Spur advocacy among charity supporters ● Updating profile photos on Facebook ● Those advocates are better donors since they’ll likely to give again
6. Crank up your base support Academic Success ● Columbia University ● Indiana University Alumni Association ● University of Massachusetts ● Skidmore College ● Georgetown University
7. Put a human face to your cause Compassion International ● What impact will my contribution have? ● Used Twitter to tell story of a young boy from Burkina Faso ● Raised $23,000 to fly the boy to India for heart surgery
8. Use short videos effectively Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights Aids ● Used Instagram video in year-end fundraising appeal ● Enlisted Broadway actors to help spread word among fans
9. Be creative with what you’ve got Urban Ministries of Durham ● History of interactive: PlaySpent.org; NamesforChange.org ● Worked with pro-bono agency ● $30 teddy bear; $1,750 walk-in freezer
Successes ● Those orgs that use social networks to connect with supporters regularly: up 40% ● Engage supporters on social media with 50% that’s not your content ● Discover more about your donors, esp. major ones
Challenges ● Predicting where your supporters are heading next ● Budgeting for resources ● Tracking your fundraising results
Next steps ● Keep an eye on Facebook’s Donate button ● Don’t underestimate power of nostalgia to connect with donors ● Use Instagram to promote your campaign
Thank You Contact info: raymund.flandez@ philanthropy.com 202-466-1047 @raymundf23
Small deck used during Use Case roundtable at JiveWorld 2014. On each on the 14 ta...
This 30 minute presentation was given at the 2014 Rochester Young Professionals En...
Tweetchats are where you can learn in community with us about mobile and social media for nonprofits. ... through social media. ... Up Workplace Giving ...
The average online donation through social media is increasing ... as online donations were up by 53 ... more nonprofits using Facebook for giving, ...
Learn more about raising funds through social media ... of social giving, MDG Advertising ... nonprofits, creating a detailed social media ...
... by up to 40%. So, how does the use of social networks ... Social Media Resolutions for Nonprofits « The ... Donors « The Social Side of Giving()
19 Must-See Social Media and Fundraising Infographics for ... How Much Do Nonprofits Invest in Social Media? ... The Digital Giving Index View Full ...
Charitable Giving Incentives; Tax ... Stay connected with the National Council of Nonprofits through social media or our free ... See below to sign up or ...
... nonprofits can solicit donations and set up a ... social media utility that connects nonprofits and ... through sharing. 19 Giving ...
The initial content was facilitated through ... The resulting "mashed up ... More charitable social media resources from Mashable
7 Creative Ways Nonprofits Can Use Social Media to Drive ... and encourages people to share the wonderful feeling of giving on social media. ... Up With ...
Nonprofits can master social media by paying attention to the ... by searching on Google or through social media. ... sign up, you have ...