Published on September 30, 2016
1. SOLID IN WIRELESS SMART SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS NEED SMART PLATFORMS IoT technology that transforms the market for building automation
2. www.chess-wise.eu CONTENT IoT & the future of Smart Building Automation Requirements for Smart Building Platforms Smart Building Design Model MyriaMesh Smart Building Platform
3. www.chess-wise.eu ACT & CONTROL SENSEANALYZE Augmented behavior Sensors Augmented intelligence Network Standar ds AGGREGATE CONNECT & COMMUNICATE MAGNITUDE SCOPE / SCALE /FREQUENCY |3 RISK SECURITY / RELIABILITY /ACCURACY TIME LATENCY /TIMELINESS SOURCE:DELOITTE What makes up for an IoT Platform? Introducing the IoT value chain ■ Valuedrivers ■ Stages ■ Technologies ACT & CONTROL The mechanism to take decisions or actions on the basis of the data. The software allows the user to take better decisions and optimize yourperformance based on a significant amount of data. SENSE (Data mining) Enable the sensors and actuators that make up the IoT backbone for example, measure movement, temperature, and ambient light level CONNECT & COMMUNICATE The network / protocol to gather data from the sensors and the gateway to connect to the back office. MyriaMesh automatically creates a mesh network between all nodes – gathering datawas never so easy andcheap. AGGREGATE Storing the data received from the IoT gatewayon the backbone of a company’s IT infrastructure. ANALYZE Processing and analyzing the (large-scale)data gathered from theIoT. MyriaMesh covers 3 out of 5 steps in the IoT valuechain
4. IoT business cases are found everywhere and hold great promise for a smarter & more sustainablefuture |4 SMART HEALTHCARE SMART ENERGY/UTILITY SMART AGRICULTURE SMART HACCP/ QUALITY CONTROL SMART RETAIL SMART BUILDINGS »Smart lighting »Smart HVAC »Smart Security »Smart Energy OBJECTIVE > 90% ENERGY SAVINGS Hold this thought: Buildings represent about 30% of global energy use and therefore, smart buildings are a key part of the sustainable energy future. Smart LED lighting alone can save 80% of energy for lighting. The energy efficiency potential. from smart HVAC and window coverings is even bigger. Integrated performance management of these systems can optimize energy savings by 90%.
5. www.chess-wise.eu IONCONTROLLERS FIELD LEVELCONTROLLERS ROOM CONTROLS THIRDPARTY SYSTEMS VAV CONTROLLER VAVBOX ION TO BACNET ROUTER/GATEWAY AUTOMATION LEVEL CONTROLLERS OPERATOR FIELD BUS:IONWORKS/BACNET/PROPRIETARY TERMINAL SENSORS ROOM CONTROLS CHILLER SENSORS ACTUATORS FAN COILS ANDVALVES PLANTCONTROLS MANAGEMENT LEVEL AUTOMATION LEVEL FIELDLEVEL WORKSTATION ETHERNET/IP THIRDPARTY INTEGRATOR The Building Internet of Things (BIoT) gets cluttered at the platform level... |5 » The market offers many single-purpose smart building systems resulting in many different system layers » Platform integration is too complex as long as IoT applications operate on different system layers. Configuration is time-consuming if devices each have their own IP address » Non-secure IoT platforms with multiple system layers result in costly,time-consuming installation, and high maintenance and operational costs - IoT business cases are held captive ...demonstrating the need for non-hierarchical full-mesh networks » Mesh networks scale effortlessly as they can run many different smart building applications (multi-pupose) within one network » Platform integration is easy. Devices and applications can be deployed locally and directly in the network or via a cloud-based back office: simply address and assign devices a job and group and they are operational (no need for IP addresses) » Operation of multiple systems within one network results in simple installation, simple maintenance and therefore low operational costs enabling scalable and viable IoT business cases ... but the promise of IoT in Smart Buildings is held captive byplatform integration challenges Heterarchical organism with collective intelligence, implies simple integration and endless scalability Complex hierarchical structure WEB BROWSER SERVER WORKSTATION
6. www.chess-wise.eu PLATFORMCONTROL IoT platforms with a wireless mesh network eliminate the need for system layers |6 » Central control layer Building Automation Systems » Single purpose system layers Building controlsystems » Group/ Area controllers Roomcontrollers » Multiple application layers room 1 » Multiple application layers room 2 » Multiple application layers room 3 Example of a current building automation system Complex + layered + rigid (simplified) MyriaMesh creates a non-hierarchical meshnetwork » No hierarchy = NO SYSTEM LAYERS » Integrated assetmanagement » Scales easily » Easy configuration Optional: Gateway to cloud ■ LIGHT NODES ■ SMART BLIND NODES ■ HVAC NODES SMART LIGHTING SMART BLINDS HVAC ROOM 1 ROOM 2 ROOM 3
7. www.chess-wise.eu What should you look for? The requirements for an BIoT platform (Building Internet of Things) SECURITY Is the network secure by design? 2015 was “The Year of the Cyber Attack”. Cyber Security should be a concern for any user or owner of connected devices. Adding network connectivity to any “thing” can certainly provide great value but also brings with it potential risks. SCALABILITY How scalable is it and is that scalable enough for the business case of my green building? What determines scalability? Depending on your business case/ use case you would want to scale up simple and easy - with as little reconfiguration, extra interfaces, gateways, routers as possible. RESILIENCE How resilient is the network? Does it have self-organizing/ self healing qualities? Are there single point of failures? (number of master/ slave relations in the network?) The level of resilience impacts your down-time, maintenance costs, operational costs and the end-user experience. MOBILITY How easy can moving assets and people be tracked and traced? And with what accuracy? Buildings are highly dynamic environments. Assets and people move everywhere all the time. Can your IoT platform handle that (most can't -> IP based) ADDRESSABILITY How many nodes (smart assets) can be addressed in 1 group? (e.g. Can lights can be a part of more than one light scene) The addressability impacts the scalability but also the simplicity of commissioning and the flexible application of nodes to fit one or more purposes. INTEGRATED COMMUNICATION Can nodes also communicate with eachother? (Can sensors and actuators exchange real time set-points and states? ) If nodes can both publish and subscribe to messages, the network becomes highly agile (easy to commission/ flexible) INDEPENDENCY Does the network depend on the cloud/third party providers? Or can it operate as an abstact, autonomous network? How much control do you have over the ownership of the data/ network? The level of independency impacts the security and operational costs. Depending on the infrastructure (back office in the cloud?) and the business model of your solution provider you will have more or less control over your data, the network and its costs. RADIO FREQUENCY + STRENGTH On what frequency does the protocol operate? And at what strength (mWatts)? What are the duty cycles? It can get crowded at certain frequency. Can the protocol operate on other frequencies, and what are the parameters that influence its reliability and its distortion rate? OVER-THE-AIR VERSION UPDATES How easy can devices be updated. In case of a system update, would you need to update devices manualy? Or does the network allow for OTA updates? Depending on the amount of nodes and updates an OTA update feature can have a huge impact on operational costs and down time. Imagine having to manually update all devices? What should you be asking? Why is this important?
8. www.chess-wise.eu Smart Building Design Model
9. www.chess-wise.eu Smart Building Design Model 1. User centric 2. Sensing the environment that interacts with the user- (sensor layer) 3. Impact on building (control layer) 4. Impact on performances (economic layer)
10. www.chess-wise.eu Single-Purpose Network Example 1 IN A SINGLE-PURPOSE NETWORK A temperature sensor …sends data to control: • HVAC system …which impacts: • Productivity • Well being/Health • Operational costs 1. User centric 2. Sensing the environment that interacts with the user- (sensor layer) 3. Impact on building (control layer) 4. Impact on performances (economic layer)
11. www.chess-wise.eu Multi-purpose Network Example 1 IN A MULTI-PURPOSE NETWORK A temperature sensor …sends data to control: • Climate Control System • Health Monitor • Smart Blinds • Maintenance …which impact: • Productivity • Well being/ Health • Energy usage • Operational costs 1. User centric 2. Sensing the environment that interacts with the user- (sensor layer) 3. Impact on building (control layer) 4. Impact on performances (economic layer)
12. www.chess-wise.eu 1. Centraal: de gebruiker 2. Factoren die invloed hebben op de gebruiker (sensor layer) 3. Effect op de functie van het gebouw (control layer) 4. Effect op duurzaamheid (economic layer) Single-Purpose Network Example 2 IN A SINGLE-PURPOSE NETWORK A motion sensor …sends data to control: • Security system …which impacts: • Security levels • Operational costs
13. www.chess-wise.eu Multi-Purpose Network Example 2 IN A SINGLE-PURPOSE NETWORK A motion sensor …sends data to control: • Security system • Cleaning planner • Climate Control System • Smart Blinds/ lights • Workspace manager …which impacts: • Security levels • Operatioal costs • Rental costs • Energy savings 1. User centric 2. Sensing the environment that interacts with the user- (sensor layer) 3. Impact on building (control layer) 4. Impact on performances (economic layer)
14. www.chess-wise.eu Current situation • >100 network protocols (wired & wireless) for Building Automation • Scalability + integration is realized through hubs, modems, interfaces and what not • Result = COMPLEX + RIGID SYSTEM - Buildings can’t adapt to changing environment or purpose - High operational costs
15. www.chess-wise.eu IDEAL SITUATION What if: • There is ONE network that operates as an integrated platform for all building systems • No hubs, gateways, routers, interfaces, modems are necessary to scale • There is no (re) cabling resulting in an extremely flexible installation
16. www.chess-wise.eu SOLID IN WIRELESS All systems work together to optimize sustainability performance…
17. www.chess-wise.eu MyriaMesh Story The MyriaMesh protocol has been inspired by nature itself. Nature shows us beautiful examples of self- organized systems of cells, all contributing equally to an organism as a whole. Organic systems grow in size and behavior, simply by adding a cell which automatically becomes a supporting part of the system. This intelligent design makes an organism ultra-scalable, resilient and robust and it has no single point of failure. This became the starting point for the development of MyriaMesh, a full mesh network in which all nodes are equal and each node contributes to an ever more powerful network. Like birds in a flock or fish in shoals.
18. www.chess-wise.eu MyriaMesh Technology • MyriaMesh is a wireless connectivity protocol, developed by Chess Wise, that enables +10.000 Things (assets, devices) to self-organize the best way to communicate with each other. • …enables simple integration and deployment of devices and applications • …is a mesh network: heterarchical topology and ultra-scalable to over 10.000 nodes in one network • ….is ultra-resilient: self-organzing + self- healing • …is secure by design • …is radio agnostic (supports short + long range) • …has low operational cost • …delivers over-the-air version updates
19. www.chess-wise.eu How do wireless IoT protocols meet the requirements for Smart Building platforms? – a benchmark Proprietary protocols Openprotocols REQUIREMENTS SMART BUILDING PLATFORMS MYRI- AMESH WIREPAS* ZIGBEE ZWAVE LORA 6LOWPAN WIFI BLE MESH** SECURITY strong encryption and authentication (Aes CCM) protects the network traffic from eavesdropping and tampering. Each node has a unique id, allowing it to obtain authenticated updates.Chess wise uses Hardware security Modules (HsM), similar to those used in the banking industry. This provides optimal protection of all product keys, both public and private, with a 128 bit AES encryption standard. SCALABILITY Contrary to iP based, hierarchical networks, MyriaMesh is heterarchical and scalable to more than 10,000 different devices, allowing one network to control ‘everything’ for seamless platform integration. RESILIENCY The network’s collective intelligence deploys and restores (new) nodes automatically. in short: MyriaMesh is self-organizing and self- healing and has no single point of failure. MOBILITY Contrary to IP based connectivity platforms, MyriaMesh allows for mobility of naodes for example to support track & trace applications. ? ADDRESSABILITY MyriaMesh can address 65k nodes in 1 group. All nodes are equally able to reach peers, groups or all nodes. One device can be a member of 8 groups simultaneously. PUBLISH &SUBSCRIBE CONTROLLAYER MyriaMesh’s universal network language enables sensors and actuators to exchange real time set- points and states (e.g turn light at 70% during daylight-state) that allows for simple (re)configuration. ? INDEPENDENCY A MyiaMesh network can operate independently. Its nodes have a collective intelligence that - together- manage the network’s individual applications. Connection to complementary cloud (management) applications is simple but optional. OVER-THE-AIRVERSION UPDATES MyriaMesh is radio agnostic. its protocol operates on short range (smart building) as well as long range frequencies (smart city/ outdoor). ? No legal liability or other responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of Chess-Wise for any errors, omissions, or statements on this benchmark, or any sheets of this presentation. Please contact us if you have relevant input or remarks for updates. email@example.com
20. www.chess-wise.eu OUR VISION is to create the leading IoT platform for the sustainable built environment and beyond. OUR MISSION is that by 2020 we will have an installed base of 2 million smart assets in 100+ buildings, reducing their energy usage with 70%. What are your vision and mission and how can we help each other?
21. www.chess-wise.eu SOLID IN WIRELESS Questions or remarks? Please contact us www.chess-wise.eu Or call +31655754567 - Wim Hogenhout
22. www.chess-wise.eu SOLID IN WIRELESS APPENDIX
23. www.chess-wise.eu LEDSGOGREENER |9 LIGHT-AS-A-SERVICE Joint Venture between LGG and Chess Wise will offer customers Smart Lighting As A Service platform ErasmusMC SMART LIGHTING Self-organizing and local operation without back office were key requirements. Has been installed. Now devices can easily be configured with an iPad. Verosol SMART BLINDS Three projects with a total of >1,000 blind control units; Luminext / Eneco SMART CITY Installed 20,000 street- lighting units to date (of 30,000 units sold); Luminext is active in NL, UK and D. Dietal SMART INDUSTRIAL PLANTS Currently installing up to 15,000 in the near future for the Chemelot Industrial site. Next up is the opportunity to deploy 800,000 units at industrial plants globally over next 2-3 years. Recent partnerships and projects
24. www.chess-wise.eu BLE GATE- WAY 3G ORETHERNET GATEWAY MYRIAMESH LMS Description: … … … …… CLOUD BASEDSERVER COMMISSIONING WITH MYRIAMESH IOSAPP: REQUIREMENTS • BLEGATEWAY • APPLEIPAD BLC REMOTE SWITCH MULTI SENSOR MOTION & LIGHT CONTROL BLC |24 BLC AND /OR 230V BLC product suite » MyriaMesh BLC (Building Light Controller) 200 series The BLC 200 series contains a series of light controllers for LED’sand lightbulbs enabling wireless controland management of lightfixtures. » MyriaMesh BLC 2G/3G Gateway The MyriaMesh BLC Gateway enablesthe data transfer to a third party backoffice. » MyriaMesh Bluetooth (BLE) Gateway The Bluetooth Gateway enables communication between the MyriaMesh network and theMyriaMesh Commissioning App foriPad. » BLC Commissioning App for iPad Commissioning of your MyriaMesh Building Light Control network ismade easy with the Commissioning App for iPad. » Remote switch (release Q4 2016) Light/dimming switch with long life battery (15 years) Enables you to switch(on/off) or stepless dim a groupof lighting fixtures that are equiped with a dimmer. » Multi-sensor (release Q4 2016) Presence/Ambient light sensor +PIR based motion detector and light measurement.Enables you to control (switch/dim) a group of lightingfixtures based on presence of occupants or illuminance. MyriaMesh Building Light Control
25. www.chess-wise.eu BLE GATE- WAY Description: … … … …… MYRIAMESH OLC GATEWAY2G/3G MYRIAMESH LMS CLOUD BASEDSERVER COMMISSIONING WITH MYRIAMESH IOSAPP: REQUIREMENTS • BLEGATEWAY • APPLEIPAD 230V 868MHZ DALI1-10VOLC OLC product suite |25 » MyriaMesh OLC (Outdoor Light Controller) 300 series The OLC 300 series contains a series of light controllers for LED’s and lightbulbs enabling wireless control and management of lightfixtures. » MyriaMesh OLC 2G/3G Gateway The MyriaMesh OLC Gatewayenables the data transfer to a third partyback office. » MyriaMesh Bluetooth (BLE) Gateway The Bluetooth Gateway enables communication between the MyriaMesh network and the MyriaMesh Commissioning App for iPad. » OLC Commissioning App for iPad Commissioning of your MyriaMesh Outdoor Light Control network ismade easy with the Commissioning App for iPad. MyriaMesh Outdoor Light Control