Published on May 29, 2016
1. Government Policies - Immigration and Citizenship - Syria Refugees - Canada By: Paul Young, CPA, CGA
2. • This presentation is on perspective when it comes to impact of immigration and re-settling of Syria Refugees
3. Paul Young - Presenter Bio • CPA/CGA • 25 years of experience in Academia, Industry and Financial solutions • Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAArky1bAXPSuV2NLtUnyLg
4. Agenda - Annual Budget - Immigration Analysis - RPP for Immigration and Citizenship - Facts and Figures on Syrian Refugees
5. Canada Government 2016-2017 Direct program spending includes the following areas • First Nations • Immigration • Defense • Climate Change and the environment Analysis/immigration and Citizenship • $2.65 billion by 2020 on a cash basis, to address climate change in developing countries; • More than $1.6 billion over three years, starting in 2016–17, towards security, stabilization, humanitarian and development assistance for Iraq, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon; • $678 million over six years, starting in 2015–16, to respond to the Syrian refugee crisis and aid in the resettlement of 25,000 Syrian refugees; and • $100 million in 2015–16 to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, to help support critical relief activities in the region.
6. Report on Priorities • Trudeau – April 2016 • Harper – March 2015 Summary • There is less headcount under Trudeau • What programs with curtailed to support the Syrian re-settlement?
7. Cost of resettlement – Syria refugees • $200M per year to resettle • 8K per refugee? • You could likely look at 15-20K • Training • Housing • Social assistance • Education • Healthcare • Fort McMurray Fire • $100M likely to be Federal contribution • Slave Lake Fire cost $1.3B
8. Syrian Refugee Facts and Figures • Cost outlook for immigration citizen ship – Harper last budget showed 1.5B as compare to $1.7B for 2016-2017. This means $200M increase to the budget • Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/rpp/2016-2017/#a1.3 • Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/rpp-2015-2016.pdf • Canada has re-settled over 27,000 – Syrians – no breakout by ethnic group • Cost to taxpayers $1B • Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/22/syrian-refugees-federal-budget-2016_n_9525346.html • http://globalnews.ca/news/2594151/federal-budget-2016-syrian-refugees-could-cost-taxpayers-nearly-1-billion/ • Refugee costs – There are claims the monthly amount refugees is $2,500/month • http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fact-check-do-refugees-get-more-financial-help-than-canadian-pensioners-1.2670735 • Healthcare and Education • English second language courses • Training/Skills • Healthcare programs • Housing/Welfare • Rent subsidization • Food bank support • Welfare
9. Food Bank - Usage Food Banks: In March 2015, 852,137 people received food from a food bank in Canada. More than one-third of those helped were children. • Food bank use in March was 1.3% higher compared to the same period in 2014 and 26% higher than in 2008, before the start of the global financial crisis. Half of the provinces experienced increases in food bank use in 2015. Hardest hit was Alberta, where unemployment increased by 10% between March 2014 and 2015 in the wake of the dropping price of oil. Three-quarters of food banks in this province reported an increase in use. Nationally, 54% of food banks reported an increase in the number of people requesting food assistance. • It has now been seven years since food bank use reached a low point of 675,735 individuals in March 2008. The need for food banks spiked drastically in 2009 and has hovered at record levels ever since.
Helping Syrian refugees. Find out what Canada is doing to welcome Syrian ... Immigration and Refugee Protection ... Government of Canada activities and ...
Our commitment to resettling Syrian refugees to Canada ... Number of refugees; Government ... Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, ...
... committee to help bring Syrian refugees to Canada. ... of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, ... Refugees and Citizenship Canada Government and ...
... the immigration, refugees and citizenship ... As the number of Syrian refugees in Canada has ... sponsoring refugees, the government could increase ...
... of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship ... in Canada’s immigration policies and ... in the Citizenship Act that give the government the ...
Read why Refugees Citizenship Canada and Syrian Refugees has ... a spokesperson for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, ... government of Canada ...
... the Canadian government has issued an exemption for Iraqi and Syrian Refugees who ... immigration and citizenship ... Immigration to Canada ...
Syrian refugees resettled to Canada will come primarily from asylum ... Citizenship and Immigration Canada ... ideas that opposed government policy.
... immigration, refugees and citizenship. ... Syrian refugees in Canada through government ... government transport Syrian refugees ...