Published on October 31, 2018
1. 2018 NIAA Strategy Forum on Livestock Traceability
2. Known as The Business Breed, the American Angus Association is the world’s largest beef breed association Today, the organization represents more than 25,000 members across the country, and holds records on more than 20 million animals. In Fiscal Year 2017 we registered more than 333,000 animals and on track to meet or exceed that number for FY 2018. American Angus Association is the parent organization for its four entities: Angus Foundation, Angus Genetics, Angus Media and Certified Angus Beef Approximately 250 employees work for the various entities of the Association.
3. Data is the backbone of the Business Breed. Commercial Programs Create a comprehensive commercial program that drives the cow-calf and fed cattle sectors. 8.3M birth weights 8.9M weaning weights 4.4M post-weaning gain records 1.6M heifer calving ease scores 119K carcass records 2.1M ultrasound records 22K individual intake records 281K docility scores 69K heifer pregnancy observations 213K mature cow weights 533K Genotypes As of 8-13-18 AGI provides genetic services to other breed Associations including Canadian Angus, Charolais, Senepol and Maine-Anjou. Currently AGI publishes 18 EPD’s and 5 $ Value Indexes with additional traits under development including foot structure, attitude tolerance (PAP), tenderness, fertility, health, hair shedding and udder traits
4. Objectives Tactics LRSP OVERVIEW In 2016 the Association announced an ambitious Long Range Strategic Plan to serve as its roadmap Information and insight was gathered from across all segments of the beef industry Focus groups, market research, market analysis and member input contributed to the development of the LRSP Five areas of focus were identified by the Board of Directors: Genetics, Commercial Segment, Leadership, Product and Research Within the five areas of focus, twenty-one strategies were developed to propel the Association into the future
5. American Angus Association’s Long-Range Strategic Plan Genetics Commercial Programs Product ResearchLeadership Commercial Programs Create a comprehensive commercial program that drives the cow-calf and fed cattle sectors. Goal Create a comprehensive commercial program that drives the cow-calf market and fed cattle sectors.
6. American Angus Association’s Long-Range Strategic Plan Genetics Commercial Programs Product ResearchLeadership Commercial Programs Create a comprehensive commercial program that drives the cow-calf and fed cattle sectors. Strategies 1. Create a feeder calf program that is built on the use of Registered Angus bulls that ties calves back to superior Angus genetics. 2. Create an easy to use mobile platform record keeping system that can utilized by both members and non members.
7. How is the best way deliver value to multiple segments of the industry? Increase and link the use of Angus genetics in the commercial sector to profitable feeder calves. Provide comprehensive, cost effective, value added programs to progressive commercial cattlemen.
8. The Association offers commercial cattle producers programs that add value to their cattle operations Customizable Marketing Certificate Online search dashboard Bi-weekly email sent to +800 perspective buyers
9. . Angus Black Book mobile app will facilitate data collection to expedite enrollment. But more importantly provide a platform to producers to collect valuable data points in their operation to make the best possible management decisions.
10. Thank You