Published on December 13, 2016
1. 2015 Getting Involved with Open Source at the Apache Software Foundation Billie Rinaldi Member, Apache So9ware Founda=on Sr. Member of Technical Staﬀ, Hortonworks October 15, 2015 #GHC15 2015
2. 2015 About Me § Apache So9ware Founda=on − Member since 2012 − PMC Member of Apache Accumulo, Apache Ambari, Apache Incubator − PPMC Member of Apache Slider and Mentor of Apache HTrace (incuba=ng projects) − Contributor to Apache Hadoop, Apache Hive, and Apache Pig § Hortonworks − Sr. Member of Technical Staﬀ since 2012 Apache and all Apache project names are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation."
3. 2015 About Me § Na=onal Security Agency − Computer Systems Researcher un=l 2012 § Background − Applied Mathema=cs
4. 2015 First attempt at open source Screenshot of: https://pages.vassar.edu/nafrank/tiling-art/" " "
5. 2015 First attempt at open source
6. 2015 Second attempt at open source Copyright © 2011-2014 The Apache Software Foundation: screenshot of http://accumulo.apache.org" "
7. 2015 Open Development “The Apache projects are characterized by a collabora=ve, consensus based development process, an open and pragma=c so9ware license, and a desire to create high quality so9ware that leads the way in its ﬁeld. We consider ourselves not simply a group of projects sharing a server, but rather a community of developers and users.” hWp://www.apache.org/founda=on/sponsorship.html
8. 2015 About Apache § 501(c)3 non-‐proﬁt, all-‐volunteer organiza=on § Provides infrastructure for its projects § Accepts dona=ons of resources for its projects § Protects individuals from legal suits directed at its projects § Protects the brand of its so9ware http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html" "
9. 2015 About Apache § >350 Open Source projects and ini=a=ves § >4500 commiWers § In one day, Apache infrastructure served 2,245,423 unique users from more than 11,454 ci=es in 206 countries § Popular Apache projects: HWpd, Subversion, OpenOﬃce, Tomcat, Ant, Maven, Log4j, Commons, Hadoop and many more § Over 300 million web servers running Apache HWp Server in September 2015 Apache and all Apache project names are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation."
10. 2015 Why Apache? § Open development is fun and rewarding. § Apache is a great place to par=cipate in and learn about building open source communi=es. § Anyone can volunteer. § Responsibility is earned.
11. 2015 Contributing § Join mailing lists § Read and par=cipate in discussions § Read documenta=on § Look at open =ckets § Look at code § Report new issues § Submit patches! hWp://apache.org/founda=on/ge=nvolved.html
12. 2015 How to learn more about a project § Website: hWp://accumulo.apache.org § Source repository − Git: hWps://git-‐wip-‐us.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo.git − GitHub (mirror only): hWp://github.com/apache/accumulo − Subversion: hWp://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo § Bug tracking (JIRA): hWps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO § Con=nuous Integra=on (Jenkins): hWps://builds.apache.org/ § Mailing lists: LIST-‐subscribe@PROJECT.apache.org − firstname.lastname@example.org − email@example.com − firstname.lastname@example.org − no=ﬁcaemail@example.com − Archives: hWp://mail-‐archives.apache.org/mod_mbox
13. 2015 Patches 1. Submit a patch (aWach it to a JIRA =cket, or submit a GitHub pull request) 2. Receive and incorporate feedback 3. Submit a new patch 4. Repeat un=l patch is commiWed
14. 2015 Project Roles and Responsibilities § Contributors § CommiWers − Change the code base § Project Management CommiWee (PMC) Members − Write bylaws − Vote on releases (including reviewing licensing) − Propose/vote on new commiWers/PMC members § Project Management CommiWee Chair − Reports project status to Board hWp://www.apache.org/founda=on/how-‐it-‐works.html#roles
15. 2015 Voting § +1, ±0, -‐1 § Always takes place on mailing lists § Usually preceded by discussion threads § Typically runs for 72 hours to allow for volunteers in diﬀering =me zones § Covers code modiﬁca=ons, releases, and procedural changes hWp://apache.org/founda=on/vo=ng.html
16. 2015 Further Roles and Responsibilities § Members − Propose/vote on new members & on the board § Oﬃcers − Oversee day-‐to-‐day opera=ons § Board Members − Oversee founda=on − Oversee/establish Project Management CommiWees hWp://www.apache.org/founda=on/how-‐it-‐works.html#roles
17. 2015 Secrets of Success § Make friends, aWend conferences / meetups § Be pa=ent and persistent § Start with younger projects (Apache Incubator) § Read documenta=on and help others § Learn about managing nega=vity in open source communi=es − How to Thoroughly Insult and Oﬀend People hWps://youtu.be/rOWmrl92FI Gina Likins, Red Hat
18. 2015 Summary § Open source is fun and rewarding. § Apache provides a lot of resources to help you get started. § Come code with us!
19. 2015 Questions? § Contact − firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com − @billierinaldi − hWps://www.linkedin.com/in/billierinaldi
20. 2015 Got Feedback? Rate and review the session on our mobile app Download at hWp://ddut.ch/ghc15 or search GHC 2015 in the app store
... (ASF) is to get involved with one of our many Apache project communities. ... For more reading on how to get involved and the open source mentality, see:
... Tika, Chemistry, ConCom, ComDev, Incubator, TAC Involved in several others, ... How To Get Involved In Open Source Nick Burch Senior Developer, ... ASF Member ...
... the ways to get involved into an open source project are basically ... and the Apache HttpComponents project logo are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.
There are a lot of excellent reasons to get involved with an open source project. ... Sir,I am new to open source.How cam I get involved in Open source projects?
7 ways to get involved in open source in 2014. ... Jason Baker - Jason is passionate about using technology to make the world more open, ...
Get Involved . Overview; ... Keep informed about news from the Apache Software Foundation and its ... announced today that the award-winning Open Source project has ...
The Apache Software Foundation. License. ... Apache Derby: Get Involved! ... on commercial products sometimes get confused by open source ...
Get Involved; Support Apache; Planet ... Open Source Big Data in-memory data grid used by ... wishing to become part of the efforts at The Apache Software ...
The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) is one of the open source organizations for the Google Summer of Code 2016 (GSoC 2016) program. As a sponsor of the ASF, Pivotal ...