Published on March 15, 2016
1. Gamification and BYOx in academic libraries: low-end, practical approach 2016 LibTech Conference March 16, 2016 Plamen Miltenoff, Ph.D., MLIS St. Cloud State University
3. Gaming and gamification • game as a system of rules that, taken together, creates a simplified model of some aspect of reality (Koster, 2013). • definition of serious games as “digital games and equipment with an agenda of educational design and beyond entertainment” (Ulicsak and Wright, 2010, p. 24) • Gamification is defined as the process of applying game mechanics and game thinking to the real world to solve problems and engage users (Phetteplace & Felker, 2014, p. 19; Becker, 2013, p. 199; Kapp, 2012).
4. Gaming and gamification • Game based learning (GBL) is a type of game play that has defined learning out comes. • Digital Game Based learning emphasizes on Millennials and Generation Z affinity to electronic and online games versus “in- person” games (Tsai et al. 2015). • Paper available at: https://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/files/2015/03/Gaming-and- Gamification-in-academic-and-library-settings-final-draft-1digudu.pdf
5. Let’s revise • Please use your mobile devices, • open the browser on your mobile devices and • go to http://KAHOOT.IThttps://play.kahoot.it/#/k/60182627-60ce-4eb6-aa3d-25c0f7887151
6. Games / gamification in the academic library • Library Instruction Using Mobile Devices • Scavenger-hunt-like game • http://web.stcloudstate.edu/pmiltenoff/bi/ •http://bit.ly/learnlib
7. Resources and links • Link to Web page with all projects http://web.stcloudstate.edu/pmiltenoff/bi/ • Link to IMS blog https://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims • Link to paper on gaming and gamification https://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/files/2015/03/Gaming-and- Gamification-in-academic-and-library-settings-final-draft-1digudu.pdf • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • Link to SlideShare presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/aidemoreto/gamification-and-byox-in- academic-libraries-low-end-practical-approach
Another categorization compares gamification with other gameful approaches by looking at ... low cooperation ... including at the higher end, ...
Gamification in Education: What, How, Why ... Read an optional library book on the topic being taught ... At one end is gamification at the micro ...
... The Gamification of Learning and Instruction is ... enterprisewide approach ... It provides the right amount of academic evidence, practical ...
... suggesting seven important components of a holistic approach to information literacy: ... the practical and ... need in an academic library.
The focus on points and levels prevalent in many gamification approaches rarely ... advocates in both academic and ... end of this process ...
... Global Citizenship badges: Using gamification to recognize ... different to academic courses and ... gamification design approaches may be ...
Create a broad library of gamification widgets ... Our Gamification approach, ... A ‘Box Full of Lives’ was set up at each site to collect patient ...
My library My Citations Alerts Metrics Settings Advanced search. More. Scholar. Advanced Scholar Search. Articles ... Advanced Scholar Search. Articles ...
We will be reporting on all of the sessions here at The Innovative Instructor ... the second day examined the practical ... at issues of academic ...